help please

Ruthless

Hi. I have been recoroding ( i rap) over instrumentals for a while now but now i want to move on and start making my own beats. Can any one please tell me what i need to just start. just the cheapest stuff please. im getting a job soon for all the equipment so can you guy and girls please help me. I would like the beats to be major in drums and basses. Thank you for all your help..

Wassup?

The cheapest way to make your beats, unfortrunately isn't the most simple. Don't let it get you down. Just remember that there will be a learning curve. Be patient, persistant, and consistant, and good things will become of it. Just a disclaimer. Now, on to the tools...

The basic tools are:

1. Samples
See "Funky Drummer"...

2. Music Sequencer
See "Synapse Audio Orion"...

4. Hardware Sampler
See "Akai MPC2000xl", "EMU SP1200"...

3. Digital Audio Editor
See "Adobe Auditon", "Goldwave", "Audacity"...

5. Virtual Studio
See "Propellerhead Reason", "Cakewalk Project"...

6. Digital Audio Workstation (DAW)
See "Digidesign ProTools", "Steinberg Cubase"...

7. Plug-In (VST / RTAS)
See "Native Instruments Kontakt", "Waves Renaissance Compressor"...

Aight. Don't get caught up in all the details, just yet...

The most effective, cheap, way to make beats is to use open source and/or freeware software and royalty free samples.

Here is a recipe for you to maybe seek out and try...

Digital Audio Workstation:
CM Muzy's (You can get this free, if you buy an issue of Computer Music Magazine.)

Digital Audio Editor:
Audacity (open-source/free)

Samples:
Computer Music Magazine (free samples every month)
There are sites that offer "free" samples to use, as well.
You can sample drum hits or loops from previous recordings (vinyl is the most revered medium to sample from) (THERE ARE LEGALITY ISSUES WITH THIS, THAT ARE BEYOND THE SCOPE OF THIS POST).

Plug-Ins:
Computer Music Magazine (free plug-ins every month)

Sampler:
Check out this very cool looking software sampler VST.
http://www.plugindex.de/index.php?templateid=download&file=1138
It emulates an EMU SP-1200. I haven't used it, but it looks f'in sweet..

If you'd rather go a hardware route.. Maybe someone else should chime in.. As I'm not very knowledgable about that area.... I still think, if you already have a computer, that it will be cheaper to go "mostly" software...

Now, if you have some cash.. You can always check out the crowd favorites, "Reason" and "Fruity Loops", but I warn you, originality won't be easy to come by, for a while.... They are, however, famous for a good, lol, reason. They do make beats, and they do make it easier than what I've listed above...

I hope I didn't bore you to death.. If you have questions about what is above.. Let me know.. I'm on here everyday... and will reply ASAP... Plus, our community is thick with beat wizads...

Welcome aboard and good luck.....

P.S. I heard J. Dilla (RIP) started making beats using a modified tape deck (that allowed him to change the pitch of samples)....

go pick up fruity loops or reasons or studio-in-the-box

and learn how to use it...

thats the cheapest best way for you to start..

alternate approach

...or u could always do what i did...

if u feel like breaking the law temporarily ;)
find a good file sharing site and download the ones you want
(i reccomend reason and sonar)
then IF u start making money u set aside to buy legit copies of the programs...

keep in mind it is againt the law but it also helps to use the proggies before spending the cash on it..

if you decide to go the share/free ware route you could also check out hitsquad.com

good luck

thanks

thanks every one especially PERITUS for giving their time. Thank you every one.
I have some of the software that you suggested...
The basic tools are:

1. Samples
See "Funky Drummer"... ( I DONT HAVE THIS..))

2. Music Sequencer
See "Synapse Audio Orion"... ( I DONT HAVE THIS)

4. Hardware Sampler
See "Akai MPC2000xl", "EMU SP1200"... (IS MPD 16 OR 24 GOOD FOR THIS BECAUSE IM THINKING OF BUYING IT.))

3. Digital Audio Editor
See "Adobe Auditon", "Goldwave", "Audacity"... (I GOT COOL EDIT PRO..)

5. Virtual Studio
See "Propellerhead Reason", "Cakewalk Project"... (I DONT HAVE THISS)

6. Digital Audio Workstation (DAW)
See "Digidesign ProTools", "Steinberg Cubase"... (I HAVE CUBASE THAT I GOT WITH MY TASCAM US-122.. BUT I DONT KNOW WHY THE SOUNDS WONT WORK))

7. Plug-In (VST / RTAS)
See "Native Instruments Kontakt", "Waves Renaissance Compressor"... ( I DONT HAVE THIS))

I would really appreciate if anyone suggested a software or hardwware i could use for something i dont have. Free wares would be excellent. Thank You.

go pick up:

Fruity Loops - for making beats
Sample Tank XL - for Samples

you have Cubase - for Recording
and Cool Edit Pro(Adobe Audition) - for Recording and Editing

you should also pick up Wavelab - for editing and mastering..

i dont use software anymore other then Wavelab for editing(when ever i decide to use it)

you can goto http://www.hitsquad.com/smm for demo and free download of programs to tryout..for windows or macs

Music Production Software:Reason. Live, or Fruity Loop
Record Software:Cubase, Adobe Audition 1.5, or Sonar
Sound Card:M-Audio 2496, Delta 1010, or M-Audio Mobile Pre
Midi Controller:Old Casio with MIDI, Oxygen 8, or Radium 49
Drum Controller:Akai MPD16, Trigger Finger, or Korg Kontrol Pad
Monitors:M-Audio BX5, KRK RP5, or Roland DM-20
Cables:Midi and Audio(instrument)
Computer or Laptop:(at least Pent 3 or more 512mb or more. Big hard drive)

Thats about da basics. I have listed them and examples of them.

Hope That helps if not get at me on yahoo or aim messenger.

Diztanz said:
...or u could always do what i did...

if u feel like breaking the law temporarily ;)
find a good file sharing site and download the ones you want
(i reccomend reason and sonar)
then IF u start making money u set aside to buy legit copies of the programs...

keep in mind it is againt the law but it also helps to use the proggies before spending the cash on it..

if you decide to go the share/free ware route you could also check out hitsquad.com

good luck
How do you 'temporarily' break the law? What a crock of shit. Either you break the law or you don't.

mx_mx said:
How do you 'temporarily' break the law? What a crock of shit. Either you break the law or you don't.

when starting out most people dont have the resources to buy the ideal programs... but they are widely available via file sharing... now yes it may be straight up breaking the law, but if your intentions are to actually pay for them, then at least youve made an effort... ther are countless people who get things this way and never pay for it. which is money the companys have lost, but if u cant pay right away but do pay in time, at least the companies are getting their money....

this is all simply my opinion.. and i am sorry if i offended any one....

Diztanz said:
when starting out most people dont have the resources to buy the ideal programs... but they are widely available via file sharing... now yes it may be straight up breaking the law, but if your intentions are to actually pay for them, then at least youve made an effort... ther are countless people who get things this way and never pay for it. which is money the companys have lost, but if u cant pay right away but do pay in time, at least the companies are getting their money....

this is all simply my opinion.. and i am sorry if i offended any one....
This has all been done before so we'll just leave it at that mmkay?

misscc803 said:
Music Production Software:Reason. Live, or Fruity Loop
Record Software:Cubase, Adobe Audition 1.5, or Sonar
Sound Card:M-Audio 2496, Delta 1010, or M-Audio Mobile Pre
Midi Controller:Old Casio with MIDI, Oxygen 8, or Radium 49
Drum Controller:Akai MPD16, Trigger Finger, or Korg Kontrol Pad
Monitors:M-Audio BX5, KRK RP5, or Roland DM-20
Cables:Midi and Audio(instrument)
Computer or Laptop:(at least Pent 3 or more 512mb or more. Big hard drive)

Thats about da basics. I have listed them and examples of them.

Hope That helps if not get at me on yahoo or aim messenger.

If Casio CTK-481 is a midi controller then i have one,... I am getting Mpd 16 and my uncle got me fruity loops. So all i need now is MOnitors... ANd learn how to work everything out..

No need to spend money until u figure out how to use what you have.

You have the Cubase that came with your Tascam that should be more than good enuff to start with for your main midi/audio sequencer. You need to do some reading on how midi works as well as vst instruments.

The Computer Music Magazine suggestion was a Damn good one. There are lots of good free vst instruments and fx included in every issue dvd (including a nice drum based sampler)

As for hardware u have a decent audio interface(Tascam).

Get as much ram as your computer will hold.

Get a midi keyboard expect to speend about $100 or check out ebay.
Don't worry about monitors just yet a decent pair wont be cheap. So get a pair of professional head phones.

Thats all you'll to get started. $200 plus $15 for the CM magazine. Search the net for drum samples and tutorials.

(if you want i have a little booklet on cubase sx 1 that I got out of CM mag a couple years back PM me and I'll mail it to you)

I agree with HDHM.

All the gear in the world doesn't mean shit unless you can do something with it.

Cubase is very good for audio sequencing and midi too with the right plug-ins. Also if you're going software, (like Peritus said) you can't go wrong with Reason or Fruity Loops and enough time to learn the ins and outs of it to make your own original sound. Fruity Loops is the cheaper of the two but you can find resources on both programs to help step your game up a little bit.

I wouldn't recommend monitors just yet. The monitors should be last in your setup IMO. Sometimes you should learn to mix with what you have, then that makes your mixes better when it's time to upgrade to monitors.

You can use your Casio keyboard as a midi controller if it has midi output (check for the MIDI sign on the board or look in the back for the plugs for it. I used a Roland XP-10 for years before I coughed up $150 to get the Oxygen8 because it was smaller and went through USB. Can't say I regretted it at all.

Just about any book store's magazine section

Barnes and Noble (Usually in the computer magazine section), Borders (where the music mags are)

Back