Help on tom mic mounts

Bdrum

I'm looking for some tom mic mounts that will hold sm57's and will not move!!!!!!
I've tried two different ones and they just piss me off@#@!#!$)(!! :mad:

Bdrum said:
I'm looking for some tom mic mounts that will hold sm57's and will not move!!!!!!
Why not use stands?

i have a few mic stands that are for table tops and are only about 2 feet high. I place one of those on either a chair, or amp, or table... just about anything and then adjust it in order to reach the mounted tom(s). I found that the mounts that clip onto the toms got in the way of playing. For the floor tom(s) i use a regular mic stand and bend it over and place it right up to the floor tom.

this method works for me.

Most of the time I can get away with using a DM50 drum mic clip (from On-Stage Stands). Although, most clips won't work any better than a boom mic stand on the snare. Depending on the drummer, you may have to use a limiter to cut off the "vibrations" the clip will pick up and transfer to the mic from the resonating shell/rim.

jaykeMURD said:
you may have to use a limiter to cut off the "vibrations" the clip will pick up and transfer to the mic from the resonating shell/rim.
A limiter won't do anything about this. You need a low pass filter.

Anyway, if you are going to buy mic clips, don't. Just buy mic stands. Everything will sound better and you can use them for other things as well.

With 4 rack toms, chances are they are small toms. (6,8,10,12 or 8,10,12,13) If that's the case, the clips have a good chance of getting in the way.

Get 2 stands and 2 sm57's.
Use one mic and center it between the 6 and 8 inch tom and another between the 10 and 12 inch tom. You dont need 4 mics on your rack toms.

gateing will be required.
many people around here throw a fit about tom mounts, but i don't think it's such a big deal.

I have some that are great. I believe they are called Claws. I will see if I can find you some info. They are pricey though.

Hey, if they work It would be much of a relief.
I've used the AKG 418 series and cried like a baby when it got broke.
I like my friends Audix set but I would rather break a 57 :p

Bdrum said:
Hey, if they work It would be much of a relief.
I've used the AKG 418 series and cried like a baby when it got broke.
I like my friends Audix set but I would rather break a 57 :p

Mine work great. And you can use any clip you need to. They adjust to any angle and configuration that you need and will clamp onto anything from the rim to a stand.

Bdrum said:

I've had good luck with the CAD DSM1, personally.

I posted a similar question here last month, and got basically the same advice--go with stands instead of clip-on mounts.

I tried some mounts and found this to be wise advice. Having the mic mounted on the drum introduces a lot of unwanted vibrations. Better to avoid recording them in the first place than to gate or EQ them later.

Here's what worked for me: I used one stand on two adjacent toms. Using the Latin Percussion Mic Claw, I was able to attach a mic to the shaft of the stand while using the boom for another mic. So your four toms can be mic'ed with just two stands.

One thing I didn't try, but might work: use a shock mount on something like the Claw. Hopefully that would reduce transmitted vibrations.

Note--you can get a cheap mic stand for about the same street price ($25) as the Mic Claw.

Alan

ckent said:
One thing I didn't try, but might work: use a shock mount on something like the Claw. Hopefully that would reduce transmitted vibrations.

Note--you can get a cheap mic stand for about the same street price ($25) as the Mic Claw.

Alan

The Claw already has a Shockmount built into it. The thick, black, plastic and rubber part where you mount the microphone, is a shockmount.

There's really no need for mic'ing every single tom if you can mic them in pairs. It isn't as if you're going to hard pan every other drum to the other side of the stereo field. A 57 is really too heavy to be mounted to a small tom (6"-12") anyway.

Stands really are the best way to go for recording. The claws and mic clips really have no place in recording.
You're really not supposed to even use a drum rack for recording. (according to Tom Falicon - founder of Falicon Racks) Evidently there was some testing done, and drumracks make about 10 times the noise that individual stands do in the recording studio, so they aren't as good for recording.

Tim

Bdrum said:

MayEA Internal Mic Mounts.

Tim

"The Claw already has a Shockmount built into it. The thick, black, plastic and rubber part where you mount the microphone, is a shockmount..."

True, but I didn't find their shock absorption to be very effective. I was thinking of an A-T "rubber band" mount, the kind with the built-in butterfly mic clip. Of course, that presents the problem of fitting it into the space around the drums.

In the final analysis a mic stand is the best way to go.

Alan

Back