help on getting a new home recording setup(newbie)

gordon0101

I need some helping on getting a home microphone setup complete with an Audio interface. Will be using it for basic recording of male vocals and acoustic guitar. I have a budget of about 200$+- for both the mic and the interface. From my research the AT2020 seems like the logical choice as it is highly recommended and affordable. As for the interface i have no idea what to buy to fit this microphone. What else would i need to get started?

Also where can i go to buy these equipment in New York? Is buying it online cheaper ?

thanks

What about something like the Scarlett 2i2 Studio package: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Studio Bundle | Sweetwater.com ? Comes with everything you need to get started. I have the Presonus Audiobox version which would also work and I've seen on sale from time to time: PreSonus AudioBox Studio | Sweetwater.com

I know they are a little outside the price range, but you get everything you need besides the mic stand.

The mic in the Audiobox Studio is actually not bad. I use it to record guitar all the time by mic'ing my amp along with an SM57.

A $200 budget may be just a bit of a squeeze.

NYC store...... Interactive B&H SuperStore Tour

Audio-Technica AT2020 - Cardioid Condenser Microphone AT2020 B&H
Audio-Technica AT2020 | RecordingHacks.com
or....
MXL V67G Large Diaphragm Cardioid Condenser Microphone V67G B&H is a good microphone and has some savings on an accessory bundle (stand, pop filter, and cable).
MXL V67G | RecordingHacks.com

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - Portable USB Audio SCARLETT 2I2 USB B&H This interface is commonly recommended. Could find something else cheaper.

B&H Photo Video Vocal Microphone Accessory Bundle - Essential Might be able to do better on price if bought separately or in a bundle as for the MXL v67g above.

You likely will want some good headphones for tracking now and a set of monitors later on when the budget allows. Recording can be a money pit :D

I have a pair of DT880 headphones not really sure if they are for recording or anything but i use them for music and they sound pretty good.
Also where can i find cheaper deals for all of these online? will be traveling to NYC for a month so i can get them online or at a store. Which will be a cheaper option?

should i get the XLR to USB converter like the Blue Icicle and pair it with a mic? or should i put in the money for the long run and get a audio interface instead?

What is the difference between the Focusrite 2i2 and 2i4? They are of the same price on amazon!! Which should be the way to go?

Or get a USB mic...

DON'T get a USB mic - with a USB mic you will only ever be able to use that one mic when recording, can't use 2 mics.

the 2i4 has RCA output jacks for each of the 4 inputs - if you wanted to run these to a separate mixer or other device this oculd be handy, I guess.

Nice sheet, Mark! Can you do something similar with several brands (Tascam, M-Audio, MOTU, etc.) and let's try to get it up as a sticky??? Please??? Would be a wonderful reference for anyone looking for a new interface!

Would be nice, though to get all the 1x1/1x2/2x2/etc. side by side in charts for comparison. Maybe I'll try to put that together.

I don't own the 2i2, but I was comparing and considering it and the 2i4 before I picked up my TASCAM 1800 a couple of days ago. I would recommend the 2i4 over the 2i2 if you ever plan to record electric guitar since it has the pad on the inputs. The 2i2 does not and I have some trouble with the, comparable, Audiobox USB interface I'm using now.

Yea the price is really close Amazon.com: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 USB Audio Interface: Musical Instruments

2i2-Amazon.com: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2 In/2 Out USB Recording Audio Interface: Musical Instruments

I will go with the 2i4, i have a casio ctk-2000 keyboard to use.

Also , i have the Shure SE215 IEMs can those be used for tracking as well?

Yes, you can use your IEMs for monitoring, but be careful about volume - unless you are using the companion wireless transmitter/receiver with its built-in limiter.

Back