help me find

Erland

Alrightee. I am flying back to the UK from Peru tomorow and arrive in Atlanta for 10 hours wait. I can leave the airport and I want to go in search of a pro gear shop so I can get a top end mic. Its really much much cheaper than the Uk and this my opportunity...yes!!

So can anyone help me find a shop in Atlanta? It will also be Sunday, so a real challenge.

all the best

Erland

If worse comes to worst, GC is open and does have a wide selection of mics. I think they carry BLUE and Neumann.
You could possibly also pick up some cheap Oktavas like the 319 or 012 that you may find useful for $50 apiece.
They will deal on their prices, so try not to pay the marked price.

<http://www.gcpro.com/>
Guitar Center Atlanta
1485 Northeast Expressway
Atlanta, GA 30329
Store Hours:
M-F: 10-9, Sat: 10-8, Sun: 12-6
Phone: 404-320-7253
Fax: 404-633-2522
Manager: Collin Grant

great

Thanks very much guys. I am at Lima airport but I called GC and they will be open. They were real friendly and have every mic brand I can think of they also said they were the lowest price in the US.

So the challenge is to leave the Airport in Atlanta when I arrive in search of them, hopefully the Taxi wont cost more than the money I would save. It sure will be fun though.

Not sure what mic exactly, you will probably laugh when I say the Berhinger b2 pro. but I have been using a 23 buck dynamic so Its bound to be a huge step up and it will be perfect for recording accoustic and vocal.

All the best and thanks

Erland

You've got a pretty decent voice, Erland, so I don't think you necessarily need anything too fancy. See what kind of Audio Technica mics they have (a 4040 might do the trick). You'll just wind up dumping the Behringer in a few years anyway. Why not pick up something you'll keep around for a while?

thankyou

Back in Britain
Oh yes, back home at last.

In Atlanta we left the airport, took the train up North and hopped off. There it was, the Guitar Center shop, yup found it and only spent 1.75.

We also just had to have a classic American breakfast in a Diner, nice.

Anyway, so they were expecting me in the shop because I had called from Lima and they were real nice, made me feel very welcome to the USA. They excitedly took me over to the mics but they didnt have that much really. They had a lot of Mics for over 500 dollars and three for 200.

I said I would like a Studio Project C1 and I reeled off a few other names. "I will be recording accoustic guitar, percussion and vocal and want to buy a condensor for under 200".

Now the chap I was dealing with started having and argument with his collegue about the best microphones and what they had used. They got very aggressive and competitive and started telling me what I had to buy. They assumed I knew nothing and they loved to talk about themselves, it was safe to say that a microphone seller does know a little more than I, but the conclusion was that they wanted me to leave with a Shure sm58. They said the dynamic would beat every condensor for under 200. I dissapointedly left the shop with the 200 dollars I had entered with. Ahh well, it was fun tracking it down.

Very excited to be home.

Thanks again

Erland

Wow. That's the treatment you get when you come all the way from Lima, Peru to Atlanta to check out a few mics?

You should have installed SM58's in each one of those guy's asses, and the manager, too!

which of these

do you recommend?

I have got a choice of these mics. What do you think, I will by one from this list.

MXL v67G (green and gold)
MXL 990

AKG C3000B
AKG C2000B
2 AKG C1000

Studio Projects C1

Rode NT1000
Rode NT1A

Erland

I can get hold of a c3000 2000 and 1000 from a mate so you could try em. I don't like the c1000s or 2000s too much myself 3000 is ok though. You gotta try the red5 stuff too. The RV10 is pretty similar in features to the C3 for the same price as a C1. Oh and they do a 14 day trial too so if you don't like you can send it back :D

Ian........

Erland, for the $200 I would buy a pair of SP B1's or for a little more the MXL V69 tube mic.

Look also on the SP mics thread here on this board.

Shit, you should have bought an Oktava 319 for $50. If you like I'll send you one.

Of the ones on your list, I'm only familiar with the MXL's. Of those, definitely get the V67.

Back