Help! Issues with Bluetooth Mic when using External Lav Mic

smicka

I'm having some issues with my equipment - equipment is listed below. I'm new to video and audio recording!

- Sony PJ670 (Handycam) with stereo plug in power mic input jack
- Sony ECM-AW4 Bluetooth Microphone Set (Bluetooth Mic & Bluetooth Receiver) (made with electoret condenser)
- Giant Squid Audio Lab Omnidirectional mono mic (new) (made with electoret condenser)

Here's my setup:

- Plug in the Sony ECM-AW4 Bluetooth Receiver into Sony PJ670 with the ECM-AW4's included resistor (attenuator) cord. Right angle end plugged into receiver, straight end plugged into PJ670.

- I turn on ECM-AW4's Bluetooth Receiver and ECM-AW4's Bluetooth Microphone - they sync immediately. The resulting audio is FANTASTIC! The ECM-AW4 Mic has a built in 3.5mm mic input for an external mic (for a lav, for example). This way you can use the ECM-AW4 Mic as a wireless unit with a lav and avoid placing the ECM-AW4 mic in plain view near a talent's face (it is small but still too large to hide as a lav). The external mic input is plug in power according to Sony.

Here's where things go wrong:

- I plug in the Giant Squid Audio Lab Mic to the ECM-AW4 Mic's mini-jack mic input port, and immediately there are intermittent sounds of feedback or some kind of scratching sound. The Giant Squid Mic is nowhere near wind, clothing, or any other possible friction that could be causing the issue. The sound itself ranges in pitch and intensity. Any movement between the ECM-AW4 Receiver and the ECM-AW4 Mic causes the sound to intensify. If I unplug the microphone, the sound disappears instantly, and I experience clear audio once again. I can walk a fairly large distance away from the ECM-AW4 Receiver when the ECM-AW4 Mic is used without the Giant Squid attached as an external mic.

- If I plug the Giant Squid mic directly into the PJ670, I have perfectly clear and amazing audio. If I use the ECM-AW4 by itself, clear and amazing audio. Somehow using them together is causing a huge issue!

Here's what I have tried:

- Using 1x 1.5v AAA Alkaline battery (max the ECM-AW4 can take) in the ECM-AW4 Receiver and ECM-AW4 Mic (I usually use 1.2v NiMh batteries - no difference with the issue at hand)
- Fully charging NiMh batteries
- Securing any and all areas with 3.5mm jacks (making sure any input jacks do not rotate - rotation, loose jacks, or movement of the cords is not an issue)
- Testing with Apple Headphones (with mic) - no feedback or sound issue when using the Apple Headphone Mic! However the sound "falls off" when the apple headphone mic is more than an inch from my mouth. Why is this happening? (Would this be a pre-amplifier issue? I'm new, help!)
- Removing the PJ670 from the equation (plugging in headphones to listen to the audio transmitted to the ECM-AW4 Receiver) - same issue, still has scraping scratching feedback sounds.
- Different rooms, environments, etc. (still has same issue)
- Testing Bluetooth Connection (no issue there)
- Changing which end of the resistor (attenuator) cord is plugged into the PJ670 / ECM-AW4 (tried both right angle and straight end for both devices, no difference)
- Adjusting Sound Levels, etc. It's not a gain issue, it's an independent issue of the gain itself. I've tried adjusting it and the gain noise and the noise of the external mic plugged in is totally different.

HELP!
- Is this an issue with the Giant Squid Mic and the ECM-AW4 Bluetooth Receiver / Mic causing an issue together?
- Is this an issue with the Resistor Cord?
- Why does the sound "fall off" with the Apple Headphones Mic when placed more than an inch from my mouth?
- Why do the Giant Squid Mic and ECM-AW4 Bluetooth Mic work separately, but cause issues when used together?
- What kind of External Mic should I look for to use with the ECM-AW4?

- How do I fix this? I've included a sound file of the audio of the issue. You can hear an audible click when the external mic is disconnected. I've also included a photo of the setup for help explaining how everything is hooked up. It is just for reference, nothing is turned on in the photo.

Attachments

• IMG_1280.JPG
    IMG_1280.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 204
  • Sound Issue.mp3
    376.7 KB · Views: 2
Back