Help,help,help

eiffy

Help,
right i'll start at the very beginning.i've built a recording studio.my recording resources are a yamaha aw16g and a yamaha aw4416.i do al;l my recording on these,i then take the wav files off the yam,put onto disc and installed then into sonar 6 where i have been mixing them,i then master on t racks.
i had a problem with the hard drive on the aw16g,it initialized itself,and i lost all my data(like a fool i hadnt backed up,wont make that mistake again).so rather than spend hours getting the drum sounds(bass drum specifically)setup right,i bought a drum trigger and trigger midi converter,so that i could use samples.the problem is.i havent got a clue how to set midi up(have i got the right tools etc,etc)
i have the 2 daw;s,a computer,sonar 6,a roland juno 2 vintage synth,midi leads,digital optical leads,a soundcard with 1 midi out 1 midi in I want to control the sonar with my workstation,how do i do it?????any ideas out there :confused:

Last edited:
eiffy,

Apparently you need to make your yamaha the master clock and the sequencer the slave, that way the sequencer will work to the beat of the yamaha. As to how you can do this I don't know, for I'm having problems myself with my yamaha dgx-505 and protools. When I work this out I'll let you know what I did as it might help.

V

I left this thread last year have a look at it it may be a similar set up

Synchronizing a Yamaha AW 16 G with Adobe Audition

This configuration uses the AW 16 G as the Master Device.

Using the utility button on the AW 16 G, scroll through up to the MIDI menu

MIDI OUT Section = highlight MIDI and MTC

MMC Section MTC mode = set to master MIDI channel TX: set to appropriate MIDI Channel
MMC mode = set to master (TX transmits program changes only)

DEV: set to 1 AVRG: set to 2 RX: sends and receives on all channels

Setting up Audition

Options = SMPTE sync enable

Options = Device properties

Midi output tab = your sound cards midi out

SMPTE output tab = your sound cards midi out

Midi in tab = your sound cards midi in
.After doing this click ok

Options = metronome -> general -> Format = 30 frames per second (FPS)

Alter your SMPTE start time offset to suit the master device

personally I always set it so I have a 8 to 10 second lead time into the track, this is actually force of habit from recording with tape (I am getting on) because the first ten seconds is where tape stretch used to occur, however, that really doesn't happen now but I still do this because it gives me time to prepare and stop things before any cock ups are made.

I hope this is of some help to anyone using a similar set up.

Have fun

Back