help getting clean sound

starfox

I'm using a tascam us 122 and having a hard time getting a clean guitar sound.
I'm going from preamp out of amp to guitar line in, And I'm getting excess noise. When I plug my guitar directlly into tascam its nice and clean but I'm having a hard time getting real time effects threw cakewalk sonar. Whats the best way to record guitars?

starfox said:
I'm going from preamp out of amp to guitar line in...

Then you should have the US122 set to line in when recording from an amp.

When you say noisy do you mean hum?

starfox said:
I'm using a tascam us 122 and having a hard time getting a clean guitar sound.
I'm going from preamp out of amp to guitar line in, And I'm getting excess noise. When I plug my guitar directlly into tascam its nice and clean but I'm having a hard time getting real time effects threw cakewalk sonar. Whats the best way to record guitars?

The best way is almost always using a microphone (like an sm57, or something nicer if you can afford it) on the speaker of a decent amplifier. Recording direct is usually less desireable, but sometimes it is the only option.

Start by turning the gain/drive down on your amp to about half of what you use for live playing. In sonar, use the parametric eq to get rid of everything below 100hz (that will eliminate most electrical hum).

apl said:
Then you should have the US122 set to line in when recording from an amp.

When you say noisy do you mean hum?

Thats what I dont understand I have 1/4 jack from amp to right 1/4 jack on tascam but I only get a signal If I have the knob turned to mic not line, If I turn it to line I get no sound :confused: Yes I het a hum

Back