Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Studio Projects B1's

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

ProJect

Hey,

I'm new to this forum... I used to use Harmony Central(no flames, please), but a friend reccommended this one and from the looks of it, it has some better input. I just bought an AT3035 and I need some drum overheads to compliment it. I am looking at the following:

Oktava MK-012's
MXL 603s
Oktava 319's
SP B1's

These would be going through my Mackie 12 Channel mixer and into my Korg D16.

What do you guys think? If they're all matched pairs, that is. Don't tell me it'll be hard to find a matched pair for them... 'cause I've found matched pairs of them all. I just need a bit of help which to choose. The room I'm recording in is... less than perfect. It's not exactly soundproofed, but we've put padding up on the walls, so it's semi-dead. Please don't hurt me!

Connor

P.S. I'm just a kid starting the whole recording process before I get out of HS... so, I need some constructive insight. Not just "You're an idiot."

I havent heard the 319's on overheads, but the other 3 are all perfectly fine as overhead mics.....the b1's may be a tad more versatile being a LDC........

I was thinking of hurting you - but I see your request against such things. Id go with the MK012s as they are darker and thus can handle brighter cymbals better. Now start using the search function.

I have 603's and 319's. I've never used the other mics so I can't say anything about them.

In general, I'm floored by the 603's- they sound really good on just about every acoustic instrument I've tried them on, including drum overheads. They are my go to mics for overheads.

To be honest, I've never used the 319's as overheads because I usually have to avoid a lot of bleed from other instruments when I'm micing drums. Still, I've never tried them as overheads so I can't say how well they'll work. I don't think they have as wide a range of applications as the 603.

Take care,
Chris

Oh... I've used the search function. Many a time. I went through about 1-12 of the 1,094,810,985,315 pages that came up and couldn't find a good comparison of these mics. I figured I needed some answers quick... and you guys seem pretty pro. Merry Xmas to yas! I think it's down to the 603's and the MK012's... just whichever eBay auction comes first.

Connor

P.S. Thanks for not hurting me!

I wouldn't buy the Octavas over the internet. The quality control is a serious issue. The sound quality and the build quality of these mics are very uneven. They can be great mics, but if you can't go into a store and try several to get two well constructed similar sounding ones, I wouldn't take a chance on the internet.

Project, all the mics you listed will work as drum overheads... and I'd recommand the Oktava MC-012's.

The MC012s are my favorite overheads. Mind you, I haven't used any high-end SDCs, but I've used all of the mics listed above, and the MC012s are the best of those four. Also, I haven't had any problems with the quality of the ones I buy at Guitar Center. They may vary a little in output level, but that's a manageable problem.

Yes, but the soundroom price is a lot more. If I had to buy a pair without listening to them, except from the soundroom, I'd go with the 603s over the MC012 because of the quality control issues.

-lee-

Back