Hard drives

dwdruman

I just got my new HD and installed it the boot up said it was there and everything, got into windows and had nothing, i changed jumpers from slave to cs to something i have never heard of before, ive built alot of computers and ive never had this problem (this question is mostly for big computer guys)

Well I've never used 2000, but I gather it's very similar to XP.
It should have the Disk Manager.
Control panel > Administrative tools > Computer management > Disk management.
If so .... is the disk listed.
If it is, right click on it and look at the options.

Sorry I can't help you much but I still believe that the drive has not been formated to a file system that windows recognizes. I would think there should be a way within 2000 to do this.
You could go to the website of the manufacturer for that drive and see if they offer any installation utilities.

Meantime, I'll see if I can't dig up any info.

If it's more like 98 .... do you have a boot up floppy disk?
If so .... you may need to boot to DOS and run FDISK.

-Edit to add- And then of course run the format command.

(START > RUN) and type in compmgmt.msc and click run and that should bring up your computer management console and you will see an option down on the side for disk management.
Click on there and it should detect all your drives.
Choose the one that is not formated and right click on it.
The option to format will be there.

HTH

the drive is 200gigs, and from what i read and what windows is telling me i have to have it in 32 gig partition? that just doesn;t sound right

and i can see my c drive (drive 0) and this other drive (drive 1) but 1 is only 31.49 gigs, did i do somethign wrong? and the 2nd hd is not on the list

I have win2000 and I have an 80 gig drive with no partitions and another 80 gig with two 40 gig (ish) partitions.

Does the BIOS recognize the full 200 gigs?
Set the jumper back to Slave and check in the BIOS to make sure.
If the BIOS doesn't recognize the full capacity, you may need to update your BIOS.
You may want to see if there are any Service Packs available for 2000 that address large capacity drive issues.
Although, if your already at SP4, I don't think there are any more.

Did you check the jumpers on the drive?
Some drives offer a jumper to limit the capacity so they will function under older operating systems.
Did the drive not come with any documentation?

no no docs on the driver, only jumpers i see are the ma sl and cds and some cap limit? and i have them on cap limit and just for info, its a maxtor py200po

i looked there for a bit, thats where i read about the 32 gig thing, i changed the jumper and nothing has happened, ill keep messing with it, if you find anything or think of anything please post

Back