Gypsy Wind - re-recorded 9-22-16

mjbphotos

Took all the advice here, re-recorded in lower key, to a click, have tweaked it a few times, I'm pretty happy with the mix overall, but would like some listens on other systems just to check, thanks.

The acoustic guitar on the left sounds very nice. Rich and full sound. The guitar on the right is a little too weak to balance it out. Maybe just nudge down the guitar on the left a db or two and nudge up the one on the right by a db or two.

Once the guitars come in, I'd lower the wind sound a little. Put the guitars in front of it.

Vocal is pretty well recorded. The reverb on it is wrong for this song IMO. There are a whole bunch of early reflections. I'd damp those down a bunch. There is also a fairly long predelay - almost a slapback effect. I'd shorten that. Then I'd dry it up a bit.

Thanks - its actually a double-delay on the vocal, left and right panned, 1/4 beat on right, 1/8 on left. Maybe I'll nudge it down just a bit.
On the right side is the nylon string (actually a bari uke) and a 12-string in the choruses.

cool vibe,
it's mellow, but hinting at something else to come, like a heavier section after the 2nd chorus..
you do build it up in the 2nd half, which is a good thing.

and i dig the arpegiated sections at the end of the verse section..
nice guitar performances,

the guitar on the right (nylon) sounds like it's getting hampered by an overall aggressive compressor...
or was just too hot while recording it, and then getting squashed.

i think the vox should be bone dry.

the vox backgrounds need to come down a bit in the first half, because they are a bit off in the intonation,
the 2nd big section is better. it's hard to nail those high harmonies and not have them drift when you hold them out there for so long.

i think you could lose the wind at the end, it doesn't add anything, but is necessary at the beginning.

Then I'd dry it up a bit.

Yeah, it can get itchy when your gypsy wind is too wet. :D Seriously, tho I agree with tripM's comments on the reverb.

You don't sound like you're straining much on the vocals, which as I recall was one of the issues with the first version, right?

Guits sound very nice.

Back