Guitar String Tension after restringing

No. The fishing pole analogy is whack because I can catch a 60 pound fish on 4lb test line if I work it correctly. Abrasions break fishing line, not fish weight. Also, the weight of a fish in the water is not the weight of the fish in your hand while you throw it in the cooler. A fish generally gives you about a third of it's weight in fight and they're buoyant. Unless you catch a dead fish on dry land, you're not pulling it's actual weight.

Fuck all this acoustic guitar talk, I just had to set the fishing thing straight.
Just had to throw some more shit in the argument didn't you?! LOL!

I admit to being flummoxed by this whole thread.

I have been playing guitar since 1966, and have, since then, changed hundreds of sets of strings. I've variously switched from heavy to medium to light according to my whim at the time, and I've done this on an assortment of acoustic and electric guitars. And I have done all this string changing without experiencing the problems described, and without need to adjust anything.

Is it maybe just that I've led a charmed life?
We shall see.. if and when the OP comes back..

I admit to being flummoxed by this whole thread.

I have been playing guitar since 1966, and have, since then, changed hundreds of sets of strings. I've variously switched from heavy to medium to light according to my whim at the time, and I've done this on an assortment of acoustic and electric guitars. And I have done all this string changing without experiencing the problems described, and without need to adjust anything.

Is it maybe just that I've led a charmed life?

No, it means miro is talking bollox....

No worries. These guys would shrivel up and die if they couldn't get into a heated debate each day. I think that you actually saved a couple of lives today :D

Haha.

I created a monster.

The strings are on and sound fine other than being wimpy/shitty sounding like Jack Johnson.

Thanks, doods.

Haha.

I created a monster.

The strings are on and sound fine other than being wimpy/shitty sounding like Jack Johnson.

Thanks, doods.
Well that's nice. But what was that you were going on about in the original posts? What actually happened?

What guage strings is he using? Does he use talc as bait? Are the older fenders better than the modern rods?

We need answers.

Sorry, it's a bronze .052. The talc is sprinkled on the bait to make it less sticky, and last longer. The old fender's won't catch many fish, but they make great oars for your boat.

Yes. At least I thought so. So what, did I miss this somewhere in the ten pages?

Yes you did. It was never about truss rods and fishing it was about bridge pins popping out. Lots of people posted lots of shite.

The problem was identified a few times and I covered the reason and solution.

You haven't read the thread have you...;)

Sorry, it's a bronze .052. The talc is sprinkled on the bait to make it less sticky, and last longer. The old fender's won't catch many fish, but they make great oars for your boat.

Yeh but if I over wind the reel will it catch more fish? Should I wind it south up or scatter wound?

There are too many questions....:(

Muttley won't like this idea, but here it is anyways........

I put a ball-end at the base of my strings on my Martins. I know. It deforms the plastic pins and gouges the bridge plate some. Ditch those plastic pins and get some nice ebony pins that won't deform.

I pre-bend them with the tail of the string facing the back of the bridge, so the tails are pressed against the slot on the pin.

When I push the bridge pins in I do them individually, with one hand inside the body of the guitar. That way I don't get too much pressure on any given pin and snap the bridge. I push and/or pull the strings to make sure the ball ends are good and tight against the pins and the bridge plate.

After the strings are secure on the bridge end of things I get to wrapping them around the tuning pegs. I like to get at least 2 or 3 wraps around the pegs and always wedge the tail through the first loop around the peg.

Last, I wait until I have the strings tuned up to pitch before cutting them off with diagonal pliers. I had read about core failures, and actually had one fail years ago when I had cut the string before tuning it up.

Best acoustic string: Elixer Nanowebs. I use mediums on my D-35 and lights on my D-45 because it has scalloped braces and bellied a bit in the first years I had it using mediums.

Anyways........ fish on!

Yes you did. It was never about truss rods and fishing it was about bridge pins popping out. Lots of people posted lots of shite.

The problem was identified a few times and I covered the reason and solution.

You haven't read the thread have you...;)

No silly. The question was - back to the OP..
Why did he think lighter strings were a) not yet up to pitch, yet b) 'too tight'.

:D

And so yes, about nine tenths of this thread was a side trip. 'Truss rods = string tension my Dog!

No silly. The question was - back to the OP..
Why did he think lighter strings were a) not yet up to pitch, yet b) 'too tight'.

:D

And so yes, about nine tenths of this thread was a side trip. 'Truss rods = string tension my Dog!

No.. the OP made a few non nonsensical statements that others jumped on. A few waited or asked exactly what was going on. Then they answered with a proper answer. In between shit happened.

You really didn't read the thread did you..:)

Muttley won't like this idea, but here it is anyways........

I put a ball-end at the base of my strings on my Martins. I know. It deforms the plastic pins and gouges the bridge plate some. Ditch those plastic pins and get some nice ebony pins that won't deform.

I pre-bend them with the tail of the string facing the back of the bridge, so the tails are pressed against the slot on the pin.

When I push the bridge pins in I do them individually, with one hand inside the body of the guitar. That way I don't get too much pressure on any given pin and snap the bridge. I push and/or pull the strings to make sure the ball ends are good and tight against the pins and the bridge plate.

After the strings are secure on the bridge end of things I get to wrapping them around the tuning pegs. I like to get at least 2 or 3 wraps around the pegs and always wedge the tail through the first loop around the peg.

Last, I wait until I have the strings tuned up to pitch before cutting them off with diagonal pliers. I had read about core failures, and actually had one fail years ago when I had cut the string before tuning it up.

Best acoustic string: Elixer Nanowebs. I use mediums on my D-35 and lights on my D-45 because it has scalloped braces and bellied a bit in the first years I had it using mediums.

Anyways........ fish on!

I'm going to read that in the morning and make sense of it then. It's 1am here...;)

No.. the OP made a few non nonsensical statements that others jumped on. A few waited or asked exactly what was going on. Then they answered with a proper answer. In between shit happened.

You really didn't read the thread did you..:)
Ah! I submit! Good ol' 'user posts function' - post 14 (or so), still unexplained but about as close as we'll get likely.

I diagnosed the peg issue in post 15.

Right about that time, xplosivetoys came up with the idea that lighter strings had more tension because the truss rod was adjusted for heavier strings...that is where the 4 pages of nonsense came from..

Right about that time, xplosivetoys came up with the idea that lighter strings had more tension because the truss rod was adjusted for heavier strings...that is where the 4 pages of nonsense came from..
Once we got to the fishing analogy and I started thinking about all the different forces and resistances involved, I decided my lack of knowledge about physics excluded me from arguing any further. In other words; if one can't argue a subject knowledgeably, then one needs to shut the fuck up! LOL! Here is what I was trying to say; If there was no problem with the pegs and the neck relief was set for much heavier gauge strings, and one put much lighter gauge strings on, there is a very real possibility that one could break the strings trying to bring them to pitch. My argument was that because of the neck relief, the tension upon the lighter gauge strings would be more than the tension on the heavier gauge strings. Was I right in that assumption? Some force was causing the string to snap. This is all hypothetical so keep that in mind. Also I said that if the guitar was set up correctly for whatever gauge string was on the guitar, the tension on the strings would be equal. Right or wrong? I believe Farview said it would be less on the lighter gauge string. Equal tension or less tension on the lighter gauge strings?

:laughings:

No you didn't. Unless you mean reading the OP's previous post where he said that the pegs were coming out and then telling him the pegs were coming out.

It was the nonsense in your post that prompted me to reply. You will find the correct reason, diagnosis and explanation in post #19 given by a luthier and musical acoustics lecturer. I am still waiting for your physics paper btw...;)

Back