3/4 guitar with Nashville Strings

ConsciousGrooves

Here is my plan. Please let me know what you think.

I aim to have more options when recording stereo acoustic guitar sounds. I stumbled on the Nashville tuning.

I can't afford to change my strings or purchase another high-quality acoustic guitar constantly. However, I can utilize the fact that if I high-string a 3/4 guitar, I can probably get away with having a cheap Nashville-tuned guitar do the trick. What 3/4? Because I don't need the deep BOOM of lower strings; I need more like a mandoline sound.

So, I got this combination.

Now, I can pan hard right my normal acoustic and pan left the Nashville 3/4 guitar.

Should make a nice stereo field?

Any thoughts?

9 guitars all at the same time. Awesome.

I’ve done two at the same time with that tuning. That’s pretty big sounding on its own.

He talks about a 12 string being over burdened. But there’s more to it than that.

Time comes into the picture. You’re double tracking the guitars, and it’s virtually impossible for most players to play the two parts exactly the same. So you’re always going to have a delay effect from the playing differences.

On a 12 string, the low strings and high strings are always in sync.

With a low tuned, combined with a high tuned guitar setup, you’ll have all the subtle variables of how the individual guitars sound, timing differences and strumming/ picking differences.
And with the two guitars you also have all the panning and effects possibilities.

Think of it like what happens when you double track a lead vocal. It’s huge if done well.

Last edited:
I've been using high-strung guitar for about thirty years. I would just buy the cheapest guitar you can find at a pawn shop or flea market.

I have a low end Eko Ranger and I believe it cost about $35 when I bought it, at a flea market.

"Lots" of people use cheap , or old parlor guitars , and even the backpacker travel type type guitars for Nashville tuning. Personally , I think a full size guitar sounds Much better. I keep an old Aria Pro 2 drednought high strung . This guitars neck had seen it's better days always keeping it strung with medium strings. It works perfect for the less tentioned Nashville tuning. I never play the exact same things with the L/R guitars when using it. I've gotten away from playing it very much , but always enjoy it when I do. The last time I used it was a song called "High Strung". No standard guitar used with it. Even had it capoed up. ms

I've been using high-strung guitar for about thirty years. I would just buy the cheapest guitar you can find at a pawn shop or flea market.

I have a low end Eko Ranger and I believe it cost about $35 when I bought it, at a flea market.
High stringing my crappy old Ovation Audition (with it's famously cracked repaired deck) gave it new life!

Back