Guitar rack plans?

notCardio

I walk the line
Anybody got any guitar rack plans? MF has a guitar case rack that I thought was kind of a cool idea, and it got me thinking. I hate it when I do that.

Anyway, I know it would be easy enough to figure something out, but I just thought I'd see if anyone has anything that looked interesting that I wouldn't think of on my own. For a long time I've wanted to do kind of a cross between a standard bookcase kinda thing and a guitar/case rack.

So if anybody has some pictures of something homemade, put 'em up. Doesn't have to be anything fancy. I'm a big fan of yer basic 2x4 construction.

Have at it, guys (and gals, because I wouldn't want to be accused by the mods of posting a sexist comment :D).

Last edited:
Google R&R cases and other road case companies. There are hundreds of different case configurations for heads, cabinets, heads and cabinets, ones that incorporate the head, cabinet and rack gear with drawers for setup tools, etc...

Thanks. I did want to see any that people here had built themselves, though.

Specifically guitar and guitar case racks for home, not for amps and rack gear or stuff for the road.

I have always wanted a setup bench/cabinet, though. I've though of buying an appropriately sized rolling tool drawer unit, but I can't afford that for even my regular tools. I've got a friend that's a hellacious woodworker, and I've thought about havnig him build me one, but he's pretty busy with his own projects.

Here's what I'm doing. It's for rack gear, not guitar. But it might give you some ideas. I used an old table from Pier 1, added a couple of boards as you can see, and mounted a pair of rack rails. It works well for my needs. I like that it's open, so easy to access the back of the gear. That patch bay was the best $100 I ever spent. With a few quick patch changes, I can move from tracking vocals to guitars, bass, or keyboard. Sure beats the old fashioned way (on my hands and knees under the desk, trying to remember what connects where).

20150926_152531.jpg

:thumbs up:

I like stuff like that. Cobbled together with what you've got on hand to make what you need.

I'm sure I get it from my dad.

guitars.jpg

some shop hangers from the bay and an oak plank, total was about £80 it keeps them handy and its tidy enough to keep the wife happy :)

Chili - I could probably do that in the top of a freestanding bookshelf, just weight the bottom enough.

I was really looking for something freestanding, but I like seeing the pics anyway.

That Stringswing stand was what I think got me started on this thread. I said, 'I could do that'.

If I don't respond for a while, I'll be emptying out my van in preparation of an attempt to locate mirosl...er, a little sightseeing trip. Sightseeing, yeah. That's the ticket.

For half the loot, I'll give you his exact location. I mean, I hear sight seeing trips for the fall colors is a wonderful way to relax.

Miro, your place looks cool.

I've got a bunch of wall hangers at home and just use hard cases for travelling.

My new guitar will probably have to be kept in a hermetically sealed chamber and I'll shower, blow dry my entire body, and wear disposable overall to play it.

I have a real easy way to store my guitars that are not in use. Guitar case.

Ditto...

Don't know about you guys but my place gets dusty. Sometimes with these things sitting (out) untouched for weeks or months, when I pick them up they're pretty gritty and not that appealing. I like to keep them fresh.

Bigger problem is other fkrs coming over and having to grab everything in site. I'm always open for just about any other musician type to grab up any instrument in my music room, but with a few exceptions. I am fortunately blessed with a chemistry where my hands aren't too oily or sweaty so strings last longer for me. One dude I know will pick up a git with fresh strings, and after 15 minutes the thing is grimed up, dead dirty stings and just nasty. I like to keep most tucked away until needed. Always have one acoustic on a stand next to my recliner for plucking around on.

I have a real easy way to store my guitars that are not in use. Guitar case.

But if a guitar is in the rack ready to go, then I am much more likely to grab it an play it for a while then I am if I have to figure out what is in what case, dig it out, find a place to lay the case out (space it at a premium) and move the case out of the way. I'm also more likely to keep them tuned.

Miro, your place looks cool.

I've got a bunch of wall hangers at home and just use hard cases for travelling.

My new guitar will probably have to be kept in a hermetically sealed chamber and I'll shower, blow dry my entire body, and wear disposable overall to play it.

Thanks!

I like having them on the walls...they stay out of the way, and I have room on the floors for other stuff, and when I'm recording, I can grab any guitar easily/quickly.
Like a woman picking out a hat...I can quickly spot the one that fits my mood. ;)

Also...it's my studio. No one screws around in there.
It's clean and neat, and it's a controlled environment...so the guitars are in the best place they can be.

It just seemed like hanging them was the best approach for me...and I figured they have some very expensive guitars in music shops hanging on walls, so there was no downside.
You would think they can be easily knocked off the hangers...but it's not the case. I have to lift them up an inch or so to get them off the hangers.

Back