"Guitar" Center rant

I always feel sorry for the poor person who has to stand guard at the door to check everyone's purchase.

Why? That's a pretty skate job. It's usually a young hottie who stands around chatting with her hipster friends most of the time. The annoying thing about that setup is that it creates a bottleneck at the exit when several people are trying to leave.

Why? That's a pretty skate job. It's usually a young hottie who stands around chatting with her hipster friends most of the time. The annoying thing about that setup is that it creates a bottleneck at the exit when several people are trying to leave.

Seems the one in Denver hires Hooters girls on their off days. :D

Seems the one in Denver hires Hooters girls on their off days. The wait is less a problem. :D

I'm with Greg, get in and get out. Come to think of it that's what I do at any store I go to...except when I'm with my wife...then I get stuck for who knows how long even when she says "I just have to get this one item"...45 minutes later (if I'm lucky) we're walking out with a shopping cart full of "items"!

Seems the one in Denver hires Hooters girls on their off days. :D

Seems the one in Denver hires Hooters girls on their off days. The wait is less a problem. :D

Yeah but no commission! :(

The GC by me has alot of the same shit, low end amps, low end guitars. Mostly a bunch of crap. I did play a Gibson LP GT 60's heritage w/P90's, been thinking about getting, but the 1 I played sucked. They have other higher end Gibsons, but they're hung up high and you have to stand around 10 min to get a guy to get one down, and they have no decent amps to try them out thru. It might be me but I don't care for the Egnaters or Line 6's.
I'd like to find a place close that has Mesa's & real marshalls, not the hazes or 15 watters.
I don't even buy socks n underwear there, I get that stuff on line, alot cheaper.

The GC by me has alot of the same shit, low end amps, low end guitars. Mostly a bunch of crap. I did play a Gibson LP GT 60's heritage w/P90's, been thinking about getting, but the 1 I played sucked. They have other higher end Gibsons, but they're hung up high and you have to stand around 10 min to get a guy to get one down, and they have no decent amps to try them out thru. It might be me but I don't care for the Egnaters or Line 6's.
I'd like to find a place close that has Mesa's & real marshalls, not the hazes or 15 watters.
I don't even buy socks n underwear there, I get that stuff on line, alot cheaper.

Damn, I guess I'm lucky having such awesome local music shops, they have a large variety of gear. I've never been to a GC but have always heard horrible things.

I am actually lucky to have a friend (live/recording engineer) that is a manager at one of the GC's here in Denver. His particular store is however 45 miles from me. He is one of the few good ones. It is a well known fact that GC will match any advertised price+10% of the difference. You can either find the price yourself, or have them look online right there. They do work on a slight bit of commission, but it and the pay is not enough to motivate knowledgeable people to work there.

Befriend a manager, and the commission goes away. I got my 1641 for $208 because B&H accidentally advertised it at cost. GC matched the price, plus the discount. You gotta go in more informed than the staff.

Guitar Center is great. Only pompous snobs carry hate for a retail store. You don't like it? Fine, don't go there. Just quit crying about it. :facepalm:

I am actually lucky to have a friend (live/recording engineer) that is a manager at one of the GC's here in Denver. His particular store is however 45 miles from me. He is one of the few good ones. It is a well known fact that GC will match any advertised price+10% of the difference. You can either find the price yourself, or have them look online right there. They do work on a slight bit of commission, but it and the pay is not enough to motivate knowledgeable people to work there.

Befriend a manager, and the commission goes away. I got my 1641 for $208 because B&H accidentally advertised it at cost. GC matched the price, plus the discount. You gotta go in more informed than the staff.

I know just 10 minutes on line to find the cheapest price then call the 800 number and bang they match it.

Guitar Center is great. Only pompous snobs carry hate for a retail store. You don't like it? Fine, don't go there. Just quit crying about it. :facepalm:

Yeah, you base your purchases on what you want. A storefront gives you the opportunity to try the product out. Use GC for what it is worth, as place to try out gear. Try a cymbal online and see what you get! LOL!

Yeah, you base your purchases on what you want. A storefront gives you the opportunity to try the product out. Use GC for what it is worth, as place to try out gear. Try a cymbal online and see what you get! LOL!

Tell me about it! That's how I got my mail order bride! :cursing:

GC don't offer the 'beat it by 10%' deal any more, not sure how they are on the price matching - most times stores will not match online prices, only local brick & mortar pricing. But GC does offer coupons all the time - $ or % off minimum amount purchases.

Like Greg said, it's a place where you can try out instruments. My original rant was that despite what the place is supposed to be, there's no one "selling" or "assisting" those who need it. I could have sold $1K-2K worth of instruments in a 1/2 hour, just by making recommendations and talking to people - just give me $12 an hour + 5% commission!

I could have sold $1K-2K worth of instruments in a 1/2 hour, just by making recommendations and talking to people - just give me $12 an hour + 5% commission!

you are seriously overestimating how much scratch most musicians have to spend on shiny new gear

Back