"Guitar" Center rant

Yeah, you base your purchases on what you want. A storefront gives you the opportunity to try the product out. Use GC for what it is worth, as place to try out gear. Try a cymbal online and see what you get! LOL!

Tell me about it! That's how I got my mail order bride! :cursing:

Did you bang it with a stick first, to see what kind of a noise it made? :)

A bit out of tune but I didn't mind. ;)

I only go there now if I need something that day. 5 years ago I used to deal with one salesperson who used to give me great deals, I ended up spending $22000 in a year upgrading my gear and studio. I actully got a letter from the GC President thanking me for my patronage. Then one day everything changed, no deals and orders had to be paid in full. I now shop online.

VP

PS The salesman ended up becoming manager, then he disappeared, I heard stories of "Cocaine Abuse"!

I only go there now if I need something that day. 5 years ago I used to deal with one salesperson who used to give me great deals, I ended up spending $22000 in a year upgrading my gear and studio. I actully got a letter from the GC President thanking me for my patronage. Then one day everything changed, no deals and orders had to be paid in full. I now shop online.

VP

PS The salesman ended up becoming manager, then he disappeared, I heard stories of "Cocaine Abuse"!

Your dealer became a dealer of his own death it seems... Sad.....

You people shouldn't be needing help from any of the losers that work there. You should be better than that, so complaining about their customer service is dumb at best. They have this thing called the internet that will give you all the research you need. GC is a good place to finger-bang expensive stuff and try shit out so you can confidently buy it elsewhere. I never go in there needing help. I just go in and buy what I want and leave without talking to any of the flunkees.

I wasn't going to chime in here, since I'm likely to just get bombarded, but we're not all flunkees. I have a BA and am going back this fall to grab a BS in Physics, too. Yes, because I don't want to be stuck at GC forever, but it's not all bad given the right management. We are paid on commission, and it can actually be a pretty good job if you actually help customers (and thus make sales), but it can also be a pain in the butt when we get people coming in with your attitude and think we're all idiots. Some of us might be, but coming in with that attitude isn't likely to get you any help. I can't tell you how many times someone won't listen to me because I can't possibly know what I'm talking about and buys what they think they need, only to bring it back the next day because it doesn't work like they thought it would. But I don't give them an attitude, I just tell them again what I think they need. Sometimes, they listen, sometimes they don't. There are also a lot of people coming in and plugging stuff in and moving stuff around without asking and frequently blowing tubes or transformers in expensive amps that we can't really sell anymore, so please understand when we don't always trust customers to plug up correctly.

And to also counter your point that no one who knows anything would work at GC - they actually provide great health insurance, an opportunity to make a lot of money (our top salesman makes more than $200k a year), and a fairly laid-back work environment. At the location where I work, two of our pro audio salesmen operate moderately successful recording studios, two run live sound in the area, and one is quite literally a rocket scientist. A lot of the people I work with could easily do something else for a living, but they like helping other people, so they work at GC. So please keep an open mind.

VP

We do still price match, and there are coupons online constantly, though I understand that isn't quite the same as getting a deal. On the other hand, presumably you pay in full to order online and pay the listed price. I don't mean to belittle you, I just mean to point out that if price is the issue, a good GC employee will still make sure you get the best price. Orders from our warehouse are refundable in store if you don't want it, though orders from manufacturers are final sale (probably because usually those orders are very specific parts or weird pieces of gear no one else wants).

We do still price match, and there are coupons online constantly, though I understand that isn't quite the same as getting a deal. On the other hand, presumably you pay in full to order online and pay the listed price. I don't mean to belittle you, I just mean to point out that if price is the issue, a good GC employee will still make sure you get the best price. Orders from our warehouse are refundable in store if you don't want it, though orders from manufacturers are final sale (probably because usually those orders are very specific parts or weird pieces of gear no one else wants).

What I meant by "orders had to be paid in full" was you cant give a deposit for an in store order. My friend bought a Gibson SG 12 string and had to pay in full, the guitar took almost 6 months to come in, 3 months overdue. I bought mine online from Musicians Friend and was only charged when it was shipped. Yous store sounds like a good one, Too bad your werent closer to RI.

VP

It's ok to defend your work place, bigcheese! If you go back to page 1, my original rant was because there were potential customers at the Nashua GC who were not getting any help. When I went in last week to get a replacement nut, I was helped by an 18-year old (guessing his age) who didnt' know a lot, and I pointed out online said they had a precut nut in stock, he looked and found it for me. There was a much-older guy behind the counter who looked/said things much more knowledgeable, but he was helping someone else. GC is really the only place around here that's left to buy a variety of stuff - there are a couple of small 'guitars only' shops around, but that's about it.

I wasn't going to chime in here, since I'm likely to just get bombarded, but we're not all flunkees. I have a BA and am going back this fall to grab a BS in Physics, too. Yes, because I don't want to be stuck at GC forever, but it's not all bad given the right management. We are paid on commission, and it can actually be a pretty good job if you actually help customers (and thus make sales), but it can also be a pain in the butt when we get people coming in with your attitude and think we're all idiots. Some of us might be, but coming in with that attitude isn't likely to get you any help. I can't tell you how many times someone won't listen to me because I can't possibly know what I'm talking about and buys what they think they need, only to bring it back the next day because it doesn't work like they thought it would. But I don't give them an attitude, I just tell them again what I think they need. Sometimes, they listen, sometimes they don't. There are also a lot of people coming in and plugging stuff in and moving stuff around without asking and frequently blowing tubes or transformers in expensive amps that we can't really sell anymore, so please understand when we don't always trust customers to plug up correctly.

And to also counter your point that no one who knows anything would work at GC - they actually provide great health insurance, an opportunity to make a lot of money (our top salesman makes more than $200k a year), and a fairly laid-back work environment. At the location where I work, two of our pro audio salesmen operate moderately successful recording studios, two run live sound in the area, and one is quite literally a rocket scientist. A lot of the people I work with could easily do something else for a living, but they like helping other people, so they work at GC. So please keep an open mind.

Lol for real. If any of that is true, you work at the one and only GC with over-qualified personnel. Congrats. All of the rest of the stores are staffed with morons. I'm not one of the customers that needs their hand held when plugging into an amp or choosing drum heads. I can choose my own mic cable, thanks. I know to not turn on a tube head if it isn't connected to a cab. So it's okay for me to think GC employees are retarded. Just get your ass on the ladder and pull that guitar off the wall for me and I'll decide if I want it or not.

Lol for real. If any of that is true, you work at the one and only GC with over-qualified personnel. Congrats. All of the rest of the stores are staffed with morons. I'm not one of the customers that needs their hand held when plugging into an amp or choosing drum heads. I can choose my own mic cable, thanks. I know to not turn on a tube head if it isn't connected to a cab. So it's okay for me to think GC employees are retarded. Just get your ass on the ladder and pull that guitar off the wall for me and I'll decide if I want it or not.

They must love to see you coming! Do they roll out the "Red Carpet" for you?:rolleyes:

VP

And I'll reiterate for the slow: I like GC. I love the place. Just this past saturday, it was raining and fishing was out of the question so I went to every GC in my city. Four of them. I played so many guitars through so many amps that I can't even remember which ones I liked. I had only one employee that was even remotely happy to fetch guitars for me, and she was a short, fat, crosseyed girl. She really wanted to sell me a Les Paul. It was hard talking to her because she was cross-eyed, and I never know which eye to look at. But she stuck to me like glue and was really nice. She probably wanted some cock. Anyway, it was so awkward and funny that I might go back and buy a guitar from her so she can get the commission. Her store had a nice selection.

And I'll reiterate for the slow: I like GC. I love the place. Just this past saturday, it was raining and fishing was out of the question so I went to every GC in my city. Four of them. I played so many guitars through so many amps that I can't even remember which ones I liked. I had only one employee that was even remotely happy to fetch guitars for me, and she was a short, fat, crosseyed girl. She really wanted to sell me a Les Paul. It was hard talking to her because she was cross-eyed, and I never know which eye to look at. But she stuck to me like glue and was really nice. She probably wanted some cock. Anyway, it was so awkward and funny that I might go back and buy a guitar from her so she can get the commission. Her store had a nice selection.

Then they realized that you are full of shit and invoked the "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" clause.

You are such a "Humanitarian".:rolleyes:
They didnt refuse me, I refused them, the prices on the stickers became non-negotiable.

VP

Back