Greg's general guide to rock drums for NEWBIES!

I'm glad this is still useful for someone. Seems like I wrote it forever ago. I don't really do anything different to this day. Playing, tuning, the room, and mic placement are still all that really matters.

I don't use Recorderman overheads anymore though. My room has changed, so I'm using a basic spaced pair setup now.

This is exactly what you wanna read when you're new in the whole 'I'm going to record a demo with my band and make it work the best I can, but there's to much information all around'. Thanks for that.

Update:

Not that it has anything to do with the function of this thread, but I've made some changes. Not anything significant. I've recorded 6 or 7 album's worth of material and countless one-off cover tunes and collabs over these past few years using the the same basic drum sounds over and over. I like it. Clear ringy tom heads, punchy kicks, tight snares, it all worked well for me. I'm just changing things up a little. I'm switching to a warmer, flatter kind of sound. Heavier heads. I've re-headed everything with Coated Emperors, and they are indeed flat and warm. It's a fun change for me. The kick got an Aquarian Superkick. Perfect sound with no muffling whatsoever. I don't know why I ever got away from that kick head. I'm going to try some lower, more open tunings on the snare. I don't know how any of this will work with my manic brand of idiot-punk, but we'll see.

I upgraded my mics as well. I went with the Audix DP7.

fuck%20yeah%20dementia.gif

Lol. Part of the fun was getting good drum sounds with inexpensive mics. People can think whatever they want, but I think I got better-than-average results with the CAD Pro set and I'll still recommend them to anyone that wants some cheap drum mics to get started with or to use on a budget. They do take some work, but if you have your kit sounding good and use smart placements, they'll sound good. The overhead condensers are the weak link.

Update:

Not that it has anything to do with the function of this thread, but I've made some changes. Not anything significant. I've recorded 6 or 7 album's worth of material and countless one-off cover tunes and collabs over these past few years using the the same basic drum sounds over and over. I like it. Clear ringy tom heads, punchy kicks, tight snares, it all worked well for me. I'm just changing things up a little. I'm switching to a warmer, flatter kind of sound. Heavier heads. I've re-headed everything with Coated Emperors, and they are indeed flat and warm. It's a fun change for me. The kick got an Aquarian Superkick. Perfect sound with no muffling whatsoever. I don't know why I ever got away from that kick head. I'm going to try some lower, more open tunings on the snare. I don't know how any of this will work with my manic brand of idiot-punk, but we'll see.

Let me axe you a question. Did you shop around for drum mics or get the kit on a whim, and why not just buy certain mics to create your own microphone kit for drums? I'm just curious about how and why you went with Audix mics even if for no particular reason. I really just want to know how they stand up to other mics you could have chosen if that information is available. :thumbs up:

Sorry for the double post, but I figured I would post again just in case you're replying to my first post. On a side note I like a lower tuning for snare. A real flat and kinda of thick sound snare. You hear snare that kind of have a bounce to them, I think, in higher tuning. Almost like if it's in a soup can or something. Not sure how to explain it. Here's a good example of awesome sounding. At least in my opinion they sound awesome. Of course youtube isn't the best source to hear how good it really sounds, but it's better than nothing :D

The snare in this one really does it for me.

The snare not so much but the rest of the kit is killer lol.

Let me axe you a question. Did you shop around for drum mics or get the kit on a whim, and why not just buy certain mics to create your own microphone kit for drums? I'm just curious about how and why you went with Audix mics even if for no particular reason. I really just want to know how they stand up to other mics you could have chosen if that information is available. :thumbs up:

Well, there's a few reasons. First off, I know they're really good quality. Heavy duty. Soundguys regularly use these mics on my kit when I play live, and I've seen them beaten and battered and they just keep on working. I always pay attention to the mics on my drums when I play live, and these Audix mics have always impressed me. Secondly, I've had recording experience with the kick mic (D6) and the snare mic (i5) and I like them a lot. And the i5 has the added bonus of being a kick ass guitar cab mic. It's every bit as good sounding as a 57, but with a milder upper midrange. It sounds a little smoother if that type of sound is ever something I'd want. The other mics in the pack were pretty much a leap of faith. The D6 and i5 are so awesome, I just figured the tom mics would be as well. I like that the pack has a D4 for the floor tom. And I'm using my old CAD kick mic for the biggest floor tom. Just about any SDC is better than what I was using for overheads, so again, it was just a leap of faith. I haven't been disappointed. The matched ADX51s are nice. I don't know what else to say about them - they just work and sound accurate. They're much cleaner than the CAD junk SDCs I was using before. Lol. I'm not a big mic guy. I don't have a locker full of mics, and don't want one. I'd rather just sound good, and when you do that, you can get good recordings with just about anything. I'm sure I could piecemeal a set together, but I'm not that interested. Really, for the same price and relative quality, what can I put together one at a time that would be better than this Audix kit? I'd still want a D6, I'd still want the i5 or another 57, and I'd need 4 tom mics and two overheads. For the money and quality, I think it would be hard to beat this DP7 pack. And lastly, it came with 7 new Audix cables and the neat little carrying case. I needed new cables too, so it all worked out well.

Well, there's a few reasons. First off, I know they're really good quality. Heavy duty. Soundguys regularly use these mics on my kit when I play live, and I've seen them beaten and battered and they just keep on working. I always pay attention to the mics on my drums when I play live, and these Audix mics have always impressed me. Secondly, I've had recording experience with the kick mic (D6) and the snare mic (i5) and I like them a lot. And the i5 has the added bonus of being a kick ass guitar cab mic. It's every bit as good sounding as a 57, but with a milder upper midrange. It sounds a little smoother if that type of sound is ever something I'd want. The other mics in the pack were pretty much a leap of faith. The D6 and i5 are so awesome, I just figured the tom mics would be as well. I like that the pack has a D4 for the floor tom. And I'm using my old CAD kick mic for the biggest floor tom. Just about any SDC is better than what I was using for overheads, so again, it was just a leap of faith. I haven't been disappointed. The matched ADX51s are nice. I don't know what else to say about them - they just work and sound accurate. They're much cleaner than the CAD junk SDCs I was using before. Lol. I'm not a big mic guy. I don't have a locker full of mics, and don't want one. I'd rather just sound good, and when you do that, you can get good recordings with just about anything. I'm sure I could piecemeal a set together, but I'm not that interested. Really, for the same price and relative quality, what can I put together one at a time that would be better than this Audix kit? I'd still want a D6, I'd still want the i5 or another 57, and I'd need 4 tom mics and two overheads. For the money and quality, I think it would be hard to beat this DP7 pack. And lastly, it came with 7 new Audix cables and the neat little carrying case. I needed new cables too, so it all worked out well.

Pretty awesome. I've always considered getting the same kit just off videos I've seen on the Audix website. They have a video using the ADX51s to record an acoustic guitar as well and I figured it would be a round package of mics because you can use the i5 as well on guitar cabinets etc. Some folks kind of look down on Audix mics which makes me think twice about it. The internet can be a confusing thing with all the opinions to be had. Anyway, can't wait to hear what you do with them :D

Someone is always looking down on something - myself included. I don't care. I don't concern myself too much with gear opinions unless I ask for them, and then I only ask people that I know and trust. I buy what I want to buy. I have no doubts that these drum mics will kick ass for a long time.

Someone is always looking down on something - myself included. I don't care. I don't concern myself too much with gear opinions unless I ask for them, and then I only ask people that I know and trust. I buy what I want to buy. I have no doubts that these drum mics will kick ass for a long time.

I hear that man. I might have to pick that kit up when the time comes. Just depends on what my situation is. It might be more feasible for me to put my own kit together though only because I can buy a mic or two here and there and not have to drop all the cash at once. $900 dollars is a decent investment for microphones lol.

Well the complete kit is considerably cheaper than buying them one at a time. The initial payment is big at $900, but over time you'd spend more putting the same kit together.

Two ADX51 - $460
One D6 - $200
One i5 - $100
Two D2 - $260
One D4 - $170
Five mic clamps - $125
Case - $100
Seven cables - $210

That's $1625. Yikes.

True, unless you didn't want to use Audix mics. Although that's a pretty good deal on that kit I guess.

Sennheiser has a pretty good mic kit as well in that price range. I need to check ALL the mics out, every single option, every brand LOL. I like it :P
Sennheiser e600 Drum Pack | Sweetwater.com
Yes I would assume that is a good kit as well. I know those are great tom mics. If I were piecing a kit together, I'd look long and hard at those tom mics.

No matter how you slice it, buying a pack is gonna be cheaper overall. You're stuck with one brand though. But really, I think dollar-for-dollar they're all roughly the same. I do think the D6 is one of the best kick mics around, but I wouldn't think the Audix D2/4s are any better or worse than the Senn mics for toms. I don't know about Sennheisers overheads. I'm sure they're good too. I mainly chose the Audix kit for the D6 and i5.

Yes I would assume that is a good kit as well. I know those are great tom mics. If I were piecing a kit together, I'd look long and hard at those tom mics.

No matter how you slice it, buying a pack is gonna be cheaper overall. You're stuck with one brand though. But really, I think dollar-for-dollar they're all roughly the same. I do think the D6 is one of the best kick mics around, but I wouldn't think the Audix D2/4s are any better or worse than the Senn mics for toms. I don't know about Sennheisers overheads. I'm sure they're good too. I mainly chose the Audix kit for the D6 and i5.

I have to be one of the worlds biggest "window shoppers" when it comes to music gear. I have my wishlist on my favorite music retailer websites loaded with gear I'll probably never be able to afford. Just the recording rig I want is over $10,000 dollars and for what seems like a simple set up with SERIOUS muscle. Damn it why can't I win the lottery! I would get 2 full time jobs to buy gear, one job just for buying gear, but then I wouldn't have time to JAM! LOL. Nah but I wouldn't mind that Audix kit. It's bitching. I've had my eye on it for years, but haven't really needed it just yet :D

I have to be one of the worlds biggest "window shoppers" when it comes to music gear. I have my wishlist on my favorite music retailer websites loaded with gear I'll probably never be able to afford. Just the recording rig I want is over $10,000 dollars and for what seems like a simple set up with SERIOUS muscle. Damn it why can't I win the lottery! I would get 2 full time jobs to buy gear, one job just for buying gear, but then I wouldn't have time to JAM! LOL. Nah but I wouldn't mind that Audix kit. It's bitching. I've had my eye on it for years, but haven't really needed it just yet :D
I didn't even know you had a drum kit.

By the way, the drums in those death metal youtube clips sound like ass. You might as well just mic a typewriter. :D

I didn't even know you had a drum kit.

By the way, the drums in those death metal youtube clips sound like ass. You might as well just mic a typewriter. :D

They don't sound that way to me. If you hear an actual CD it's bitchin bro lol :listeningmusic:

Back