GREAT way to get fat drums, fast, with 3 mics...

Just finished catching up on this thread and I feel like a time traveler. I am new to the forum and as soon as I bring my kit back in (been out gigin') I'm going to give some of these ideas a try. I've been looking for a way to use fewer tracks and get great drum sound. I have plenty of tracks to use but can only record eight at once and I want to record as much of the band as I can at once to get more of a live feel. (for demo) Thanks all!

Trust me, THIS IS one of the best starting points for begining home recordists micing drums. It should be a sticky. Hint, hint :D

I am going to try this as soon as I start feeling better.... Maybe I can get a set of vista-lites to sound good after all? :D

"3. Fine tune the placement by using a mic cable and measurinb the distance from the center of the Kick to each of these mics is also equidistant from the kick and snare."

In this quote from the first post, Is he trying to say that the distance is the same from the kick to the mics as the snare to the mics or kick the mics as the kick to the snare?

:confused:

crazyjman said:
"3. Fine tune the placement by using a mic cable and measurinb the distance from the center of the Kick to each of these mics is also equidistant from the kick and snare."

In this quote from the first post, Is he trying to say that the distance is the same from the kick to the mics as the snare to the mics or kick the mics as the kick to the snare?

:confused:

I think he must mean that the distance is the same from the kick to the mics as the snare to the mics as the other one wouldn't work right?

Sounds good

I'm going to be doing some work with my drums soon and will try this method out. I'll let you guys know what I think when I'm done.

Hey guys, I just tried this.. seriously, I'm using shit mics, and I dunno what it is.. maybe it is the drum set I'm using now since I got ahold of my dads peavey kit instead of my vista lites but OH MY GOD seriously took me about 10 minutes to set up the mics using this method and it sounds amazing. I haven't even tried to eq the tracks yet or anything, just panned them, and it came out really good. If you guys want I will post a demo on here and maybe some pics of what my setup looks like :)

I second that yes please. By the way, I will try to post mine when i try it as soon as I can buy some mic stands...forgot I only have drum claws.

Okay, I'm gonna start with this, a link to the mp3... it's just drums. I couldn't really record anything other than an ordinary beat. I have it from earlier from the project I'm working on. I was gonna record some messing around but it's late and the police station happens to be my neighbor :)

Sorry for those of you without broadband, it might take a bit to download (2.42mb)

Now, while you're waiting for the DL, here are pictures of my setup:

peavey-3-mics-1.jpg

peavey-3-mics-2.jpg

peavey-3-mics-3.jpg

peavey-front.jpg

peavey-top.jpg

peavey-signatures.jpg

Mics: 2 CAD CM-217 (OH) and a CAD KM-212 (kick)

questions? comments?

sirslurpee said:
questions? comments?

Nice drumming, man. The toms sounded a bit quiet, though you didn't hit them much. Do you think this has to do with the setup of the mics or something else?

Drummyjoey said:
Nice drumming, man. The toms sounded a bit quiet, though you didn't hit them much. Do you think this has to do with the setup of the mics or something else?

I think it's the mics.. I don't have any thing on the toms, just those 3 mics on the whole kit. Although it may be the fact that they are muffled so much. I've tried running the toms open but they ring forever.

Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky

It works great...... Every newbie should have the chance to read this.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Ok, I just used this over the weekend. Worked great. Some background...

First of all, I recently bought a Studiomaster 16-4-2 board. It replaced a Mackie 1604 VLZ with XDR preamps. I cannot believe the difference. In the past, all my recordings had a dull quality to it. Stuff I mixed was described as "dark." I could never get brilliant high end when I needed it. Well, the Studiomaster sure delivers! Cymbals, snare drum, tambourine, acoustic guitar... all of them are much clearer, yet don't have an annoying sizzle. I can't believe I spent nearly $900 for a new Mackie two years ago, when I could have picked up the Studiomaster for much less and had money left over for more mics. I got this Studiomaster board for $250, plus $50 shipping (it came in a flight case).

Back to the drum mic setup. I was reading "Behind the Glass: Top Record Producers Tell How They Craft the Hits," and noted that Eddie Kramer always uses a mic inside and outside the kick drum. My approach has been to use an AT4050 outside the drum. But then I was listening to the recent LP reissue of "Axis: Bold As Love" on Classic Records. It's the original mono mix. And I was really digging that bass drum sound. It sounded punchy, but not as though your head was inside the bass drum (a sound I generally hate). There's a perfect balance of punch and body. So I decided to augment this mic setup. I put an SM57 inside the bass drum, and still used the AT4050 outside the drum. Boom... automatically I got a full bodied yet punchy bass drum.

I'll try to post some clips here over the weekend.

Seriously..................can someone make this a sticky??????? It's getting harder to look up everytime!

Back