Good guitar forums?

The trouble with most of the guitar only form is that they are populated by a lot of guitarists. Each one with guitarists blinkers and /or a load of preconceived or incorrect assumptions or values.

However the OP is in luck as about the best of them is TDPRI which deals specifically with telecasters. It seems to have escaped the usual dominance of ego inflated opinions that pervade the guitar forms and is populated by a lot of extremely well informed and knowledgeable people. Players/makers/journalists/engineers etc. The general bullshit level is kept low by them much as it usually is here.

Thankyou, also do you know if it's sister website, the gretsch-talk site is any good?

Thankyou, also do you know if it's sister website, the gretsch-talk site is any good?

Not so much. Tele owners are typically functional musicians with a clear idea of what they want. Gretsch owners are more bling and want to look like Brian setzler or to play like chet atkins... I have posted and interacted on TDPRI but not Gretsch talk.. No point.

The best way to find out is sign up and take part. Thats what we all do to arrive at these positions.

TBH you will get better info here if you ask well thought out questions than pretty much any guitar only forum. I'm a guitar guy and value the opinions here more than most other sites. The broader remit brings more expertise to the table.

I find it very perplexing that thousands of guitarists appear to be searching for a magical combination of strings, amps, preamp valves, power amp valves FX pedals, pickups, set neck or bolt-on neck, "tonewoods", tuners and every other peripheral thing, but not many of them are concerned with how to write a fucking song.

My thoughts exactly...

The trouble with most of the guitar only form is that they are populated by a lot of guitarists. Each one with guitarists blinkers and /or a load of preconceived or incorrect assumptions or values.

However the OP is in luck as about the best of them is TDPRI which deals specifically with telecasters. It seems to have escaped the usual dominance of ego inflated opinions that pervade the guitar forms and is populated by a lot of extremely well informed and knowledgeable people. Players/makers/journalists/engineers etc. The general bullshit level is kept low by them much as it usually is here.

Not so much. Tele owners are typically functional musicians with a clear idea of what they want. Gretsch owners are more bling and want to look like Brian setzler or to play like chet atkins... I have posted and interacted on TDPRI but not Gretsch talk.. No point.

The best way to find out is sign up and take part. Thats what we all do to arrive at these positions.

TBH you will get better info here if you ask well thought out questions than pretty much any guitar only forum. I'm a guitar guy and value the opinions here more than most other sites. The broader remit brings more expertise to the table.

Thankyou! I'll probably be on TDPRI soon haha

This. I've been a member of TDPRI for years and it's the best guitar forum that I've had the pleasure of being a part of. Great folks, knowledgeable, helpful and courteous. Never met anyone who didn't like it. Hoping this forum is as good as I've just joined and after TDPRI have pretty high expectations! lol

M

This. I've been a member of TDPRI for years and it's the best guitar forum that I've had the pleasure of being a part of. Great folks, knowledgeable, helpful and courteous. Never met anyone who didn't like it. Hoping this forum is as good as I've just joined and after TDPRI have pretty high expectations! lol

M

I wouldn't stay here if the on topic knowledge base wasn't as good. Nor would I stay if bad info wasn't called out when it happens.

OK, I'm not into magical combinations of all sorts of digital effects etc. But I do like a light bit of OD in front of the amp to give it a bit of crunch.

I have a bunch of OD and Dist pedals but the one I find most useful is the Marshall Jackhammer. Huge amounts of control on the tone and level with this pedal. I've basically fiddled the knobs to get the tone I like and now I just adjust the gain knob by small amounts. With the gain on zero it barely alters my tone at all! Tweaking the gain up a little and I can still get it nearly clean for the mellow bits if I am quite gentle and get it quite punky if I hit it hard. My set up generally involves a mild setting on the Jackhammer and a similarly mild (possibly a bit more gain) on the amp. So I can put the Jackhammer into either clean channel or gain channel on the amp or have the gain channel on it's own.

Basically, I can get most of the tonal adjustment I need with one knob on the pedal. Which leaves me far more time for the important business of actually playing tunes and writing songs. I agree that people spend wayyyyyyyyy too much time cocking about with a million things. A decent OD pedal into a decent amp (my amp is still far from decent, mind) is everything I will need for tone. Then it's just fun pedals like delay, wah and flange for the odd bits.

I don't bother with the Dist setting on the Jackhammer - it's awful way too much gain! Clipped to death.

Lots of people also recommend the old Tubescreamers to be used as a clean boost in the same way I use the Jackhammer. I have used a copy Tubescreamer - it was OK into a crunched amp but I thought it sounded shit into a clean amp.

M

well im rbnalv7 on tdpri too so yeah see you around haha

Hey Mutt
There is a guy over there....I believe his name is Ron Kern (or Kirn ). He does a lot of metal flake teles with step by step threads. He does great work. Anyway, he did a thread on how to fashion nut files out of a set of feeler gauges and it turned into a big round between the proper nut file purists and the feeler gauge folks. That thread was a hoot.
If you want to be amused do a search and check it out sometime.

Hey Mutt
There is a guy over there....I believe his name is Ron Kern. He does a lot of metal flake teles with step by step threads. He does great work. Anyway, he did a thread on how to fashion nut files out of a set of feeler gauges and it turned into a big round between the proper nut file purists and the feeler gauge folks. That thread was a hoot.
If you want to be amused do a search and check it out sometime.

Mutt instructed me to file my nuts (guitar nuts) with the proper size feeler gauge per string with a piece of sandpaper wrapped around it. Maybe he was yanking my chain, but I did it anyway, and it worked great.

To the OP, the fender forum, the less Paul forum, the stratocaster forum, the acoustic guitar forum, and the telecaster forum nut was talking about are all good forums...as is this homerecording.com forum.

I would have to say this one is the best if simply because of the amount of traffic this site has. Most questions get a quick response. Also, extremely knowledgeable people, like muttley, frequent this sight and call out bad advice and will give the correct advice on the topic at hand. So, it's hard to be steered wrong here.
Other forums just don't have the traffic flow and it may take a day or 2 to get responses to your postings

Mutt instructed me to file my nuts (guitar nuts) with the proper size feeler gauge per string with a piece of sandpaper wrapped around it. Maybe he was yanking my chain, but I did it anyway, and it worked great.
Yeah, it works. On the thread I was talking about the dude took a Drexel tool with a cutting wheel and actually cut saw teeth in the feeler gauges. Of course he was fashioning them to cut blank nuts from scratch. Sand paper on the gauge would work too, but it would be slower cutting (which may not be a bad thing for a novice)

Yeah, it works. On the thread I was talking about the dude took a Drexel tool with a cutting wheel and actually cut saw teeth in the feeler gauges. Of course he was fashioning them to cut blank nuts from scratch. Sand paper on the gauge would work too, but it would be slower cutting (which may not be a bad thing for a novice)

Oh yeah, I wasn't cutting a nut. Just smoothing the existing nuts on my gibsons. You know that damn g-string ping they have? Fixed.

It works but you will get through a dozen sets of feeler gauges before you've even started to ware out the Hosco nut files. If you intend to do a lot of work get the files, in reality they only cost about the same as a five sets of strings and will last you years. If you want to do one or two setups no need to spend that money as you can do it with feeler gauges. You will also need a fine kerf saw to start the slots as feeler gauges will not cut that cleanly. It's more work with a modified feeler gauge.

What gerg is referring to is cleaning up the slot and a feeler gauge with fine grit paper will do that fine. I use a set of well worn files as they cut slower and polish the slot. you can also use a piece of string epoxied onto a block of wood to do that. Just add a little cutting compound to the string slot.

If I was yanking yer chain I would have told you to lube it with talc...:guitar:

Back