Good beat sound

dan

Ive recently found a really good way of making money with my home studio making hiphop and rap beats for mc and dj wanna-bees in my area. I live in Philly so theres no shortage of these people. I cant stand the music but when I heard a freinds demo of a beat he paid $200 for I knew I could make some money. Thats the going price for most of them and there not even good quality.
My question is this, Ive already sold a few but Id like to know where I can get or learn more about equipment specificaly for Rap and hiphop beats (ie drum loops, drum samples, synths, drum machines (not oldschool like TR808!)), and maybe some tips on recording techniques and production. Im already kinda known in the area for making really good quality beats but Id like to dive more into this and maybe make some real good money. The musics not that hard on the creative end. I can come up with about 20 good beats a day!

Greetins not a reply,just a query.Im interested in getting into the hiphop game,and ya said ya made good quality beats.Can ya teel I what yu use,and a ruff pricetag?Thanx,Jah bless

I already have some higher end synth and samplers in my rigg for other styles of music. The keyboard synth is a roland XP80
that retailes new for about $1900 but I picked up used for $1250. I used that with the bass and drum expansion card along with a Boss DR770 drum machine for the beats. Its not really for new style rap/hiphop (ie roots, Wylcleff, L. Hill, Wu-Tang, Hotboys, Tribe) but with some major tweaking and effects it can get a OK hiphop sound. Id recomend a different box for hiphop but just in case it ran me about $350 new. Then it went through my rack and my mixer to my Roland 840 to record it. I also have a Roland SP808 sampler that goes for $1200. I found an auction online were a guy who won one probably auctioned it for like $100. I finaly got it for $350 mint.
I had a freind who goes to all the hiphop shows and knows alot a people pass out the sample CDs with about a minute and a half of each track that we burned through his PCs cd-r.
One tip, if your trying to sell them and you put them on tape or cds to pass out make sure you put some kinda noise or talk in the backround cause I had one guy take the minute of a track on the cd and sample it on his home sampler. I have to say it even sounded great. Since then I record a radio screeching noise in the backround (from the vs840) thats subtle enough so it doesnt interfere with the sound when people listen but it interferes enough that it would sound bad to use.
Hope that helped ya.

Back