Getting the basics - some help for someone new to mixing!

Okay. I have got a fair amount of tracks in that project. So when I started to record vocals could it have just been a little too much for the processor?

Maybe I should just increase the sample size to 64 for vocals and then check?

By dropouts do you mean no sound recording?

Thanks.

Okay. I have got a fair amount of tracks in that project. So when I started to record vocals could it have just been a little too much for the processor?

Maybe I should just increase the sample size to 64 for vocals and then check?

By dropouts do you mean no sound recording?

Thanks.
Or clicks that are recorded.
Run it nice and quick when the project is smaller and you're doing the initial tracking, but back off if need be when it gets bigger.

Okay got it.

I think that I can increase the sample rate substantially as I'm monitoring through Mix Control.

Would that be more beneficial?

Okay got it.

I think that I can increase the sample rate substantially as I'm monitoring through Mix Control.

Would that be more beneficial?
I don't know what that means..
Hmm I see you called it sample size before? Presumably it's called.. What do they call it? don't pay much attention to the name on it. A 'latency setting?

Mix Control is the software that you get with Focusrite devices that enable you to route audio and stuff.

If I set it up to monitor through Mix Control I can apparently set theBuffer sample to 1024 and I won't have any latency. But if I were to monitor through the DAW I would have a lot. If I have to use a software instrument I need to lower the buffer size, but anything that goes in via my Focusrite 18i8 can be monitored through it, which allows me to increase the buffer size and reduce the load on the cpu.

Does this make sense?

In regards to enveloping, is this what you meant?

Mix Control is the software that you get with Focusrite devices that enable you to route audio and stuff.

If I set it up to monitor through Mix Control I can apparently set theBuffer sample to 1024 and I won't have any latency. But if I were to monitor through the DAW I would have a lot. If I have to use a software instrument I need to lower the buffer size, but anything that goes in via my Focusrite 18i8 can be monitored through it, which allows me to increase the buffer size and reduce the load on the cpu.

As a general rule, increasing the buffer while mixing is your best option. After all, latency when mixing means nothing.

A couple of tips when recording.
You can turn off some track processing (the plug ins) for those tracks you don't really needs as a part of your recording.

If you have a lot of tracks with VST/VSTis, check to see if you have a freeze option in your software. What this does is it renders the track with the effects and no longer requires live processing. It should still leave panning and volume operational. This will take some load off your rig. If you don't have that, you can render your tracks that have the most effects, bring them back in processed and turn off the live versions of them (keeping them in case you need to do edits later).

You most likely have a freeze option or something like it. Check your software. There are other options, but I think it might confuse you at this point in time.

Hope this helps some.

Yea I think I understand and I was just reading about freezing tracks.

I am monitoring through Mix Control now, so I can just put the buffer size to 1024 indefinitely and not worry about it, unless I need to do some software instrument stuff.

Any view on my interpretation of enveloping? Basically when I increase and decrease the automation I am creating an envelope. A dynamic change in volume?

..Any view on my interpretation of enveloping? Basically when I increase and decrease the automation I am creating an envelope. A dynamic change in volume?

Yes, your screen shot and the other two examples that were posted..
It's not a verb but.. yeah :D

One thing that I am getting is a sort of double tracked/slapback effect when recording. It's not there until I hit record and play and it's not there during playback and I'm not getting any latency. Is there any way to stop this?

Thanks.

EDIT: Fixed it! I still had Monitoring on. :D

Back