Getting Started Few Questions.

homchz

While I have always had little patience for home recording. I am thinking of investing isn a basic set up just to grab ideas, riffs and get some songs recorded to work on before I venture back into the "real" studio.

I run an HP Pavillion ZD7000 Laptop
2.8 Ghz
512MB Ram
External 200MB HD

Looking at a start up package I found this Firewire set up.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/184131/

Any one have any real world experience. The ratings on MF look good but you just never know what you are getting into.

For the most part Guitar and Vocals will be all I am recording. However I would like to have options for live recording and messing around.

Will I run into issues if I use the Laptop for personal reasons as well as recording? Is it better to just have a machine for recording?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Josh

the firepod is a great firewire interface.

If your not doing any realy heave recording, using your computer for personal and recording use should be fine. It will always be better to use a specific recording computer, so that you dont have to keep apps on there that are just taking up space, that you would only use for personal use.

If you have lack of patience, I would recommend a stand-alone device. That requires much less patience than computer recording.

don't take this the wrong way...just making an observation.

I wasn't sure what you meant by not having patience for home recording. If you meant that it wasn't worth your personal time...that's cool.

The way you said "real studio" made me think that you weren't sure home recording could get you the quality you wanted?

Again - no problem with that...to each his own, however I was suprised to see that you are a folk singer songwriter - one of the most native genres to 'home recording'.

Back