Genelec 1029A noise problem when light switch on/off

lkthomas

Hi all, I am new to this forum.

basically I have a pair of Genelec 1029A (I know it's old), and Tapco 6306 mixer which connected together.

after I move to new apartment, the Genelec active speaker start to create annoying sound when home light switch on/off, it's a big "spark" sound when light switch off in the kitchen.

Some said it's about circuit problem, some said I have to ground it.

In fact I checked my Tapco 6306 mixer, it doesn't provide grounding as I only see two contact point for 1/4" connector.

Instead of keep on wasting resource to trial and error, I would like to know some answer from experienced people to solve this problem.

Please let me know if I need to clarify anything from my setup. Thanks for helping.

Could be a grounding problem.

What kind of lights are they....some of the new "eco-friendly" fluorescent bulbs? They suck when it comes to audio...they can cause all kinds of noises.

Have you checked your cabling?

9 times out of 10 this problem is a result of a bad ground or negative terminal in a cable. Have you swapped the cable from the 1029A that doesn't make the noise? If the offending speaker still makes a noise with a new cable, you know it's the speaker itself.

OR

Have you got headphones? Turn your speakers off and plug your headphones into your mixer. Have someone turn on the light if you're too far away to do so yourself and see if you get the noise in your headphones. If you do, you'll know it's coming from the mixer itself.

The trick here is a process of elimination to find out where exactly this noise is leaking through.

The cheap fix is if it's just a cable. If it's a circuit problem, you may have to fork out cash for a technician to look at it.

Hope that helps.

Cheers :)

PS. Those 1029A's may be old but they're arguably better than the "new" gennies. Hold onto them!

first answer: yes, it's fluorescent bulbs, but not sure if it's eco-friendly type of bulb

Second answer: I switched off my Genelec and use headphone, problem is the same. What's next step I should do now?

by the way, I haven't swap cable yet as because even using headphone, problem still the same, I doubt it's cable issue, what do you guys think?

Is the noise still there if you disconnect everything from mixer except power and headphones? If yes then it's your mixer.

Hi, I just tested following:
1. remove input on mixer, only connect mixer with Genelec: spark noise appear when light switch off
2. remove everything and leave headphone connect with mixer: NO spark noise appear when light switch off

Try to isolate the ground from power cables going into Genelecs. I don't know which type power connectors do you have, but for those eu ones I've found that taping these bronze connectors with duct tape or even cutting them off helps.
EU_socket_with_earth.jpg

Sorry, I don't understand this.

Try to isolate the ground from power cables going into Genelecs <--- if being isolated, where would the ground goes? if no grounding, the whole speaker might blow up if short circuit, right?

I just did a quick test by removing grounding wire, the spark noise intensity is a lot smaller.

What is the meaning of this? Grounding circuit have problem or something else? Sorry, I see better result but not sure what's this mean to me at all.

Edited: Actually the spark noise isn't that much different.

About the spark noise... this shouldn't be actually a grounding issue (I'm not an expert in electrics :P). Try to get the power from other room and see if that changes anything. The point is that power from another room may be on a different line and not connected with your interfereing device.

As I stated before I'm not really an expert in electrics, but it seems that a lot of places have poor electric wiring and no proper grounding at all. (especially in older buildings.) At least in our country this is really common problem and as far as cutting the ground I have done this countless times to remove buzz from monitors, pa, etc. After all, many sound products have ground lift switch on them for a reason. :P

yes, it's fluorescent bulbs, but not sure if it's eco-friendly type of bulb

What's next step I should do now?

It doesn't matter if they are eco-friendly type, I only mention them 'cuz some people don't realize they are actually fluorescent bulbs made to look like typical incandescent bulbs.

Start by removing of all of them *anywhere* in your house/studio...and see how it goes.

I once put two of those bulbs for lighting on my back-door deck....and ended up chasing noise down in my studio for two days until finally I realized it would only start happening at a certain time of day...in the evening...when the deck lights came on... :facepalm:
...so I removed them.

No more noise.

I would guess you're getting a ground leak of some sort into your mixer from the lights because they are on the same grid.

There's often very little you can do about this which is why pro facilities often have lights and audio mains on isolated circuits. However if it just makes a noise when you turn on the light and doesn't bother you while working. i.e. a constant buzz, then I would say just turn on the lights before you turn on your Genelecs. If it's just a spark noise it's a minor problem, IMO.

FWIW, sometimes I have to turn off the lights in my studio and turn on an external lamp while recording guitars because I get a buzz from the lights, particularly when using single coil guitars. It comes from the transformers in the lighting ballasts.

Cheers :)

NEVER defeat the power safety ground. Do what you like to signal grounds, but power grounds should be connected at all times.

You are properly connecting the monitors with balanced cables, right?

It's a cable problem, I believe you are using unbalanced cabling to connect mixer to speakers.
In fact I checked my Tapco 6306 mixer, it doesn't provide grounding as I only see two contact point for 1/4" connector.
Your mixer does indeed have balanced quarter output. Which goes perfectly with your balanced connections on your Gennies.

So, How many sections do your 1/4" cables have on each end? Hopefully 3 for Tip, Ring and Sleeve...

It is the starers in the fluorescent light circuit creating the sparking noise as it ignites the fluorescent tubes. The only way to fix it is to try a different power circuit as I bet the problem is that the lights are on the same power circuit as the recording gear.

Alan.

This is extremely bad advice.

Ground wiring is there to provide a path for power to earth so YOU don't become the path for the current.

This ^^^^^ +1 the noise has nothing to do with earthing, unless the whole apartment is not earthed :eek: have you checked?

Alan.

As I told before I don't know about OP house, but here where I live there are tons of places which don't have proper grounding so the buzz (not the "spark noise") becomes a problem.
And as far as isolating ground - there are even extension cords that don't have grounding pins. It could be not the most safest thing, but often it works. For example the flat where I live doesn't have any grounding at all.

I could make a demonstration video for you if you don't belive me :)
Also, I'd be happy to hear other suggestions to cure it.

As I told before I don't know about OP house, but here where I live there are tons of places which don't have proper grounding so the buzz (not the "spark noise") becomes a problem.
And as far as isolating ground - there are even extension cords that don't have grounding pins. It could be not the most safest thing, but often it works. For example the flat where I live doesn't have any grounding at all.

I could make a demonstration video for you if you don't belive me :)
Also, I'd be happy to hear other suggestions to cure it.
we believe you, but it isn't safe and bad advice that could, under certain circumstances, lead to a trip to the hospital or the morgue.

You would also never want to remove the ground from the wall socket, because in order to put it back right, you would have to replace the socket. At least go to the hardware store and get an adapter that has the ground lifted.

Back