No sound and no track input levels when motor in contact with the chassis

indiependente

Hello,

I have a Fostex multitrack tape recorder (the X-26 in the case) with a malfunction. The recorder has no sound neither I can get get input level from the tracks. The tape mechanism is working Ok, all the transport functions are working as they should but still I have no sound playing a cassette, neither from the line-out nor the headphones out. I arm a track for recording and I can't get no input level on the VU meters.

After some inspection and some trial, I noticed that if I disconnect the power to the motor, I can get level on the input track. I see this through the VU meter. I also noticed that when I connected back the power connectors of the motor, if I gently pressure the connectors or gently bend the board, it all started functioning well. I was able to have cassette transport and tracks levels simultaneously working Ok and I was able to record something onto cassette. After reassembling of all the parts, when trying again, I had the some problems, no sound whatsoever.

Dismantling again everything to inspect the motor power connectors, but now I can't get the unit back to work. Touching the motor power connectors doesn't solve the issue. But if I disconnect them, all seems to work, I get VU meter levels on the tracks.

But now I noticed a new behaviour. If I have the motor power connected and unscrew the motor from the chassis, everything works Ok. The motor and the track levels. But as soon as I screw the motor back on the chassis, only the motor works, no track input levels again. As if when the motor is in contact with the chassis, something occurs. I don't understand what this means. Some kind of "ground" problem? Is it malfunction on the motor and should it be replaced?

Any help or clues would be very appreciated.
Cheers!

Back