G i v e ~ i t ~ u p

I use four-track analogue and I really don't have that big a problem with hiss now that I sort of know what I am doing - and my music is pretty quiet too.

As long as the music is louder than the hiss you are ok.

One of my very favorite rock and roll albums has tons of hiss but once the guitars start waning and the drums start banging you forget all about the hiss.

Tucci

Here's a few reasons I enjoy my analog setup:

1. No computer crashes
2. No hardware incompatibilities
3. No layers of menus
4. No upgrades
5. It works every time
6. Not superseded by the next version every X months
7. You can see the reels turn--cool

I am not against digital; quite the opposite, I'd love to have both systems if I could afford it. But as someone who works on computers all day long, I like playing with analog in my spare time. Look at all today's postings--how much of it addresses problems people are having with their software/hardware. At least I get to focus on recording music, not tinkering with technology.

Last thing I want to do is resuscitate the old debate on analog vs digital sound. But last week my kids found my old turntable in a closet and for the fun of it we hooked it up. I hasn't been run in at least ten years. We pulled out a bunch of old records and tried it out. Now this is weird: IT SOUNDS BETTER. And I have a fairly high end CD/stereo system.

The first record I played was one of the greatest ever recorded (yeah, I know, it's all subjective)--"A Space in Time" by Ten Years After. I also have the CD version. The difference was immediately obvious. In spite of the rice crispy effect that we all loved to hate (snap crackle pop) on the record, it was overall a smoother, more realistic, fuller sound.

Hey we can't go back in time and digital is here to stay. All I'm saying is, it was interesting.

I'm a chump (luv analogue and the racks of stuff i have) and a champ (I own 3 computers
courtesy of my wife,who's employed in the field)
Besides, I'm old-school.Love to tweak;hate mice. But i do have some affinity for daws!

1 last thing,Anal-log will never die!
I still have some of my mom's 8-trak cassettes and her 8-trak player,and they still sound good!

Will somebody please invent a chip for CD players that will ADD hiss, snap, crackle and pop to digital recordings.

Actually you don't even need one. Last week I recorded two CD's worth of cuts from old albums. I played it at a party. The people loved it. Noise and all. It sounded great. I wouldn't even think of using some program to cancel out the snap, crackle, pop and hiss.

[This message has been edited by hixmix (edited 06-02-2000).]

Hmmm. 8-track players from the 70s. I had blocked them out of my mind. I remember we had one hooked to the back of my dad's stereo. Made by Lear Jet, honest to God. Invented by Mario Maccafferri - who also developed Django's guitar. Same guy. A luthier / industrialist / plastics visionary who believed styrene would be the wave of the future. Maybe he was just a half century ahead of himself...

By the way, I have nothing against digital mixers or sound. But it seems to be a whole different sound. Besides, digital menus drive me crazy (see? just look at me now...)

If you want to ADD crackle and noise like what you hear on vinyl, it's do-able. Cubase VST has a plug-in called Grungelizer that adds vinyl-type noise. Also, the next version of VST to come out is supposed to have a plug-in that adds analog tape warmth the the sound. I've heard of other products that do this, too.

hey guys im kinda a analog man (but dont tell my pc that). I am kinda thinkin of getting used analog machine. I saw one today a Tascam 8 trk 1/2 inch machine for $500 is it worth it?
I wanna add analog to my digital. what would ya recomend for a machine?.

As I've said before, the TSR-8 is a reliable and rugged old workhorse that produces fantastic results.

Just make sure, if you buy one used, that it was reasonably maintained and that the heads are OK.

[This message has been edited by hixmix (edited 06-15-2000).]

Back