Fostex MR8 Internal Squeaking Noise

andesona

Joined the forum in hopes of finding some information regarding a squeaking noise that my recently purchased (used but in mint condition) Fostex MR8 (the red one) is making. The noise is very faint and barely audible over my guitar, vox, drums etc. but can be made out during any moments of "silence"... Which is problematic since I would like any quiet parts of a song to be free of digital artifacts but still capture the room sound. I have heard others mention and experienced firsthand the noisy headphone outputs, but I can live with that as none of it is actually being recorded. I first attributed this aforementioned "squeaking" to the headphone outputs but to my dismay, THIS noise can be heard played back on all the recordings I make. Also, unlike the headphone hiss and scratchiness (which is present even while just monitoring tracks), the squeaking doesn't kick in until I actually start recording.

It is present whether or not the MR8 is plugged in or running on batteries. It can be heard whether or not there are any external mics plugged in, and at the same volume on all three modes (mic/line, guitar, internal mic). The built in effects, distortion, and mastering buttons do not change the noise other than to effect it as if it was an external signal being inputted and then effected. I was thinking maybe it was related to the delay effect since the squeaking is fairly rhythmic in nature, but neither the intensity or speed of the built in delay has any effect on the tempo of the noise itself, other than to delay/repeat it. It can be panned L and R, and also responds to the volume faders. It happens on all tracks, even when recording two at once. I have reformatted the flash card, reset all settings, and yet it persists. I am stumped! Is it possible that this is just an inherent noise of older digital recorders?

I recorded a sample of the noise that can be heard here: soundcloud.com /andesona/mr8-squeaking-noise

In order to make it clearly audible, I had to max out the volume on the MR8 itself, and then boost it some more by simply turning up the volume in Audacity. Upon uploading the file I've found that you may still need to turn your volume up in order to make it out. Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated so that I can start recording hassle free. Thanks in advance.

Fostex MR8 Noise Follow Up

Me again. I just had the thought to switch to Extended recording mode. Same problem, different noise. This time it sounds like a more audible "ticking". Noise persists even with laptop and cell phone powered off.

soundcloud.com /andesona/mr8-2-ticking-sound

There are no moving parts in a standard MR8, no hard disk or CD burner - so it can't be those.

I had one thought, there is a rhythm generator and MIDI sync - these are switched off?

Hi, thanks for the response. The noise is still there when the rhythm generator and midi sync are either both off or adjusted to any value. It really sounds like more of a digital noise than any kind of mechanical moving part. Maybe an internal digital clock/timekeeper that is always on and running? It's frustrating because I think I can remember a time when I didn't hear then noise...but maybe I just wasn't noticing it.

Back