Focusrite ISA428

coolwhip

libertarian power.
Does anyone own or have experience with one of these pres? What are your thoughts on it? I'm considering purchasing one after reading reviews online, but I don't have the opportunity to hear one. I record primarily acoustic guitars, percussive instruments, vocals, and acoustic pianos, and I'd be running this with the AD card installed. Thoughts?

coolwhip said:
Does anyone own or have experience with one of these pres? What are your thoughts on it? I'm considering purchasing one after reading reviews online, but I don't have the opportunity to hear one. I record primarily acoustic guitars, percussive instruments, vocals, and acoustic pianos, and I'd be running this with the AD card installed. Thoughts?

If you don't find anything here go over to gearslutz.com and do a search. I've asked about them over there and got several answers, unfortunately I didn't really want to hear most of them. I was told several times that it's a very bland sounding mic pre but not bad. I was hoping for some decent coloration, something like a Neve or API but was told it wasn't close to either. But as I said, no personal experience.

well, it looks like a lot of pro studios have them in the racks.

never used it, but i've been looking at it. sounds like a nice thing, 4 pre's for what, around $1500?

Yeah, I got a lot of "too sterile" and "no character" from gearslutz...looks like a no-go. They steered me in the direction of the Sebatron VMP-4000e, though, which looks like it'll fit my application very nicely, and for just a couple hundred dollars more.

coolwhip said:
Yeah, I got a lot of "too sterile" and "no character" from gearslutz...looks like a no-go. They steered me in the direction of the Sebatron VMP-4000e, though, which looks like it'll fit my application very nicely, and for just a couple hundred dollars more.

Never heard anything bad about Sebatron. Probably a good choice.

I have a 428 and like it a lot. It is a clean pre, but personnally for most of the applications you listed (instruments) I don't like overly colored. It works on vocals but wouldn't be my first choice.
But for 4 channels of decent preamps with variable impendence on each channel you have a variety of sounds available. Great for the price.
When asking about gear on different websites the reviews you'll get will depend on the day. I saw someone else ask about this unit on gearslutz about 3 weeks ago and a bunch of people were recommending them.
Oh, and back to the clean. I wouldn't call it sterile. I used a grace 101 for a while, and that's sterile. The 428 just isn't a tube pre.

In Tune Audio said:
I have a 428 and like it a lot. It is a clean pre, but personnally for most of the applications you listed (instruments) I don't like overly colored. It works on vocals but wouldn't be my first choice.
But for 4 channels of decent preamps with variable impendence on each channel you have a variety of sounds available. Great for the price.
When asking about gear on different websites the reviews you'll get will depend on the day. I saw someone else ask about this unit on gearslutz about 3 weeks ago and a bunch of people were recommending them.
Oh, and back to the clean. I wouldn't call it sterile. I used a grace 101 for a while, and that's sterile. The 428 just isn't a tube pre.

Tube pre doesn't mean anything, it doesn't equal color. Some of the most colored pre's on earth are not tube, think Neve and API. On the flip side of that I've heard the ADL600, which is a tube pre, is very clean sounding.

FWIW, I got a Focusrite Octopre the other day and love it !! This far I have used it on Bongos, Cello, Flute, Bass, acoustic and electric and love it !

Not right up their but great bang for your buck !

i don't know about the 428, but i've used the ISA 110 and 215 before, and i can tell you that they're great preamps - if the 428 is anywhere close to those, then i'd give it a thumbs up

jonnyc said:
Tube pre doesn't mean anything, it doesn't equal color. Some of the most colored pre's on earth are not tube, think Neve and API. On the flip side of that I've heard the ADL600, which is a tube pre, is very clean sounding.

You're right, but I was just making a very general statement about this unit

Also remember that on Gearslutz, for good and bad, people do have a higher standard, especially in the highend forum. If they say product X sucks, you should keep in mind that they compare it to product Y that costs $5000 or so.

The ISA is a fine preamp, and is being used daily at not-so-shitty studios around the world. Sterile? I can see it being sterile when compared to more colored units, and possible which mic you pair it with, but not sterile enough that it's a problem on it's own. I'd say the sound is more hi-fi than sterile, the built is highclass, and value for the 4-channel unit (428) is very attractive.

YMMW

I think i'll either end up going with that sebatron or just a good ol' API 3124+ - eBay and Craig'slist will be my new best friends for the next few weeks. Not that i ever take breaks from them anyhow :p

Back