focusrite comparison

The preamps are relatively the same in the twintrak and voicemaster pro according to their site. The Penta I beleive uses an older rev of their Class A which is found in the original platinum line.

To my ears the VMPro is slightly smoother for vocals than the Penta which has a coarser lo end.

I have not heard the Twintrak yet.

Last edited:
I use a Trakmaster with the optional Digital Output card (SP/DIF) and a Rode NTK mic. for vocals.

The Trakmaster is very clean and transparent. No noise. Good value for money, if one channel is enough for your needs.

If you just need one, vmp
If you don't need or want the bells and whistles (I hate that expression) Twin Trak
If you want a better pre, atc-2
I use the vmp and the atc and for my ears and my "home" studio , they are working great
I will end up in Langevin land or Avalon Alley pretty soon, but for now I am very plaesed
In His Name
Big Kenny

toft atc-2? You say its better than which Focusrite. The TwinTrack Pro? I tried the ATC-2, but not on drums (which is what i want a new pre for) I liked it (esp the EQ) A Sweetwater rep suggested the ISA 428 4ch pre. He said it had very very fast transient response that was good for drums. Also its supposed to have a Neve-like pres, which I dont know if ill like that on drums or not.

Jeremiah

"It features four Rupert Neve-designed, transformer-based pres with switchable impedence and direct instrument inputs." Thats from the Sweetwater catalog. However, I saw one in a classified that stated something like "Im selling because it doesnt sound Nevish enough." So who knows, maybe it's just name dropping cause the Focusrite website doesnt describe it with the word Neve in there.

Anyway.....id like to try it out reguardless.....

Back