Flesh and Blood

joeym

Damn....I keep finding less and less time to visit my favourite site.:(
Gotta lot of catching up to do...
Anyway, here's another new one. This is definitely NOT the final mix, it still doesn't sound right to my ears, but now they're shot anyway (also due to the Hammer of Doom festival I went to yesterday...:drunk:). So please tell me what needs fixing.

flesh and blood_ mix_mp3.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

=====================================================================

NEW MIX : http://www.box.net/shared/cx1s1oovkfvc7kbt5jxs

Last edited:
Joe, this sounds like the right mix for LIVE music. The bass isn't as defined as usual BUT it would pound my chest in a room. It's there and I can hear notes & feel more but it does fill up the bottom end almost to overflowing. The sense of filled up to the brim comes to my ears soon after the 1st bass phrase.
The song is cool, the guitar is cool (nice panning too), the drums a clear & sound much more real if you've programmed them you've kept them closer to "playable". Your vocals are very cool - the b/vox fit beautifully.
I look forward to the mext step in the mix.

Hi Ray!
Yes, I might have pushed the bass a little too loud. I went for a growling metal sound, but I'll adjust it in the next mix, it seems to be louder than the guitars. The drums are programmed as usual. I've borrowed a Roland E-drumkit now, so I can get my new drummer to play them and I'll use the same samples. Unfortunately I can't record an acoustic kit here and I wouldn't know how to do it anyway....:o
Thanx for the comments!

Back in the studio. My sub is definitely getting a workout with the kick. 40-60hz is ringing hard and making it tough to listen to. With sub off, sounds nice. Kick is quite 'heady' and I like it's natural tone. Maybe a bit floppy. Bass rings a bit down there too. The HH cue at :32 seems a bit hot, and sounds artificial. Overall guitars sound great but maybe could use some brightening. Just a touch of 5k. Sounds a bit 'British Steel'. At the breaks like the one at 2:17, sounds like snares wires are flopping. Not sure what you program with, but maybe pull out the snare bottom sample or pull back some highs at those points on the snare to ease the crackling sound. 1:50 there is another point where this is apparent also. Maybe the bottom snare is hot all the time, just more noticeable at some points. Ride seems to get lost a bit.

The vocals, I have nothing critical to say other than you suck for being so good, and not in my band! LOL! I love your style man. Great form!

I agree with Jimmy on the kick and bass. A lot of sub energy in the kick and bass, and I don't even have a sub. I can hear it through my 8" monitors. It's pretty boomtastic. I like the fat-ish snare sound. Fits the song. Sounds like a drummer beating the shit out of his snare. Guitars and vocals seem awesome to me. I also like the direction your last few songs have taken. More steady rockin and less complexity. Is this your new guitar player?

Haha...thanx, man!:D
I'll check out all those points. I mixed this one without my sub which is probably why it's so boombastic. I'll check out all those points you mentioned. I love British Steel though.....:guitar:

I like the snare nice and fat too, Greg, in fact I boosted the lows on this sample. And yes, I want the drummer to beat the shit out of it, too! I guess the direction I'm going for now is a bit better tailored for the band, although it's not really intentional. Steve played the guitar solo on this one, too.
Thanx for the comments and happy Halloween!:drunk::D

unfortunately British Steel was a victim of the global economy and went the same way as British Coal...never mind because Joey aint shutting down anytime soon :)

kick is boomy bro' the rest is rockin, stadium filling!

"you're just flesh and blood, I'm dancing in the mud" (glastenbury remix) :D

Loved the guitars - playing and sound. Good screaming vocals.

The kick is a little muddy/boomy/loud.

That's about it. Well done.

Pretty awsome. Love the vocals. Just echo whay others have said, very bass heavy, cymbals a little lost, lead guitars could do with coming up, although they might sound more balanced with the bass dropped. As I keep saying I like a bit of top end crunch on the bass. Of course it's miles better than I could do.

unfortunately British Steel was a victim of the global economy and went the same way as British Coal...never mind because Joey aint shutting down anytime soon :)

kick is boomy bro' the rest is rockin, stadium filling!

"you're just flesh and blood, I'm dancing in the mud" (glastenbury remix) :D

Hey bro, you're back and I'm ever so glad!
Good thing I'm not from Sheffield......:D
It's Ok to dance in the mud, it's good for your skin.
Thanx for the comments!

Pretty awsome. Love the vocals. Just echo whay others have said, very bass heavy, cymbals a little lost, lead guitars could do with coming up, although they might sound more balanced with the bass dropped. As I keep saying I like a bit of top end crunch on the bass. Of course it's miles better than I could do.

Hope to fix all those points in the next mix.
Thanx for commenting, my friend!;)

Hey bro, you're back and I'm ever so glad!
Good thing I'm not from Sheffield......:D
It's Ok to dance in the mud, it's good for your skin.
Thanx for the comments!

yeah in there great wisdom they undid my ban...thank god the other websites were getting sick of me ;)

Killer tune. Every time I think my mixes are getting better, I hear one of yours and it puts me back in my place. Dammit. :p

Yeah dude.... When the kick comes in out of the gate, I thought, "Yeow! This is gonna kick that kick!!!" .... then as the song went on, it sounded a bit too bombastic in the low-end. I'm listening on ear-buds, so I may be up in the night. Anyway... Vocals are insanely awesome, as usual. Guitars are thick and creamy. Sounds amazing, dude. Just tame the low-end a bit.

Back