First try with real amp micing

Fortenhell

Hello,
I recently bought a shure sm 57 to mic my real amp. I used to work with plugins like Amplitube, Guitar Rig etc. before.

Would you kindle give me some Feedback for this Mix?
Also I tried to make the mix as loud as modern productions, but listen for yourself.

updated file: https://soundcloud.com/montgomery-horm/crystal-clear-mp3-1

I used 2 Tracks, panned left & right.
For the first one, I placed the mic near the middle of one of the speakers and for the second I placed it <edit:> at the rim (op: to the rear).

Thank you for any Feedback!

Last edited:
(...)
Also I tried to make the mix as loud as modern productions, but listen for yourself.(...)

Your track is over-compressed. My ears hurt! Everything's sound squashed. You need some headroom, some air, let your track breath. "Modern" = Loudness war. Avoid that. Dynamics is the key to achieve a good track.

(...)
For the first one, I placed the mic near the middle of one of the speakers and for the second I placed it to the rear.

You should place the mic where it sounds better. There's no rule for that. Ask a friend to play while you get near to the amp to find the "sweet spot" with your own ears. Then place the mic where you think it sounds the best. As a side note, for distorted guitars there's no need to place a mic in the back of the amp.

Compression should be used wisely. Otherwise, you'll end with a nasty squashed sound. Your track is sound better now, although I still feel you could free it from compression, especially if you're applying it to the master fader.

My comments on the level of your tracks. Kick sounds great, punchy with a nice bite. Bass is rumbling, too much for my taste (but that's a personal thing). I would reduce the lead voice a little as well as the backgrond vocals.

You're on the right direction.

Yeah I think I'd agree with what has been said above, drums are sounding nice, i've not got a problem with the bass personally so as was said, it is a personal thing. But I would agree on the compression sounding better in the second mix

I think you did a nice enough job capturing the guitars, it's just not a good tone to me. Too fizzy. Too much gain. They sound generic and thin to me. No character. Too much gain and maybe not enough volume? They sound like an amp that's dialed up way too hot but the speakers aren't moving enough air to sound chunky and 3 dimensional. That lead is terrible. Lol. My advice on the guitars - less gain, big volume, try again.

It is getting there. I am not hearing a good L/R separation of the guitar tracks giving a stereo spread well. Maybe even 4 tracks altogether, with the 3rd and fourth pulled back a bit in volume, though if you get the tone right you may not need that. It does not have the fullness it needs yet to my ears. To scooped to my ears as well. Fizzy on top, with low end pushed. The good 'sweet' tone is in the mid range frequencies. Maybe try to lower the gain on the amp and track them again as well.

Definitely the snare verb is too much IMO. Sounds out of place to me.

Good stuff tho. :)

I think you did a nice enough job capturing the guitars, it's just not a good tone to me. Too fizzy. Too much gain. They sound generic and thin to me. No character. Too much gain and maybe not enough volume? They sound like an amp that's dialed up way too hot but the speakers aren't moving enough air to sound chunky and 3 dimensional. That lead is terrible. Lol. My advice on the guitars - less gain, big volume, try again.

Of course, the guitar guy comes in as I am posting. :)

Not much to add to what's already been said. On the guitars - like Greg said - too much gain and probably not enough volume.

The snare, to my ear, is a little too wet and probably not quite loud enough. It sounds a bit distant. To an extent, the same thing could be said about the lead vocal. I thought there was just a bit too much "click" in the attack of the kick. And probably not enough click to the attack of the snare.

A couple of small timing mistakes early in the song.

Back