Alternative Hip-Hop Track - How's My Mix?

derekp

Recorded this over the weekend and have been tweaking the mix ever since. It's one of my first recordings with my new Shure SM 27 for vocals. The guitar was recorded with a Shure SM 57. The drums and choir sounds are onboard Reason sounds. I mimicked a bass line by playing the lower E string on my accoustic guitar and added some amp effects through Guitar Rig 6.

I've not done much EQing aside from hi-pass filters for the vocals, and also brought the hi frequency (around 5.5) down a few decibels for the main vocal.

How's the vocal performance overall?

Love to hear your feedback in general.

Attachments

• paris that i never knew.mp3
    6.8 MB
Sometimes , I get trapped into a constant editing mode when it would actually be easier to re-do sections. I think the nylon acoustic should be re-tracked and "tuned" . It's pretty mechanical sounding and close to being annoying . I thought the vocals sounded Pretty Good ! You have good timing. I've never tried that bass recording technique but , I often try it first (like you did) just to get the notes and timing down. There should be a way in Reason to drop the pitch down an octave to the actual bass frequency (then re-EQ it). That's the way it's normally done if you don't have an actual bass or don't want to use a midi synth for the bass guitar. Anyway .. nice job. This is my honest opinion , not that it matters at all , but I think that's what you wanted. mark

Sometimes , I get trapped into a constant editing mode when it would actually be easier to re-do sections. I think the nylon acoustic should be re-tracked and "tuned" . It's pretty mechanical sounding and close to being annoying . I thought the vocals sounded Pretty Good ! You have good timing. I've never tried that bass recording technique but , I often try it first (like you did) just to get the notes and timing down. There should be a way in Reason to drop the pitch down an octave to the actual bass frequency (then re-EQ it). That's the way it's normally done if you don't have an actual bass or don't want to use a midi synth for the bass guitar. Anyway .. nice job. This is my honest opinion , not that it matters at all , but I think that's what you wanted. mark
Good idea. I just used the pitch edit and dropped the bass line down an entire octave. Sounds a lot better. As far as the acoustic tuning, it's tuned, it's probably just my amateurish guitar playing lol. I still dig it. I like that it has some mysterious/sad/romantic sound all in one, which inspired the lyrics (not to mention that movie with Ethan Hawke "The Woman in the Fifth"). That said, maybe it wouldn't hurt to try a couple different takes and mix it up.

Thanks for the feedback bro!

Back