first one in ages

brummygit

Hello all

i've been away from the forums for quite a while, so hopefully things have improved a bit with me since last time. things are sounding different, anyway...

here's a new one i'm working on, called Running in Circles. I've started playing with a few new methods, effects etc, but have got a lot more subtle than they have been. here's a basic mix of the song that i mixed as i went along with recording it:

Running In Circles

any thoughts on the mix as it stands, before i do any major tweaks and/or re-recording would be much appreciated, just so's i know i'm thinking in the right direction.

Cheers

Mark

ooolroit?? (sorry!)

I seem to be mising some codec or something relating to the .asx extention. Can you stick an mp3 somewhere with a link?

Cheers m8

Dee

DeeExpus said:
ooolroit?? (sorry!)

I seem to be mising some codec or something relating to the .asx extention. Can you stick an mp3 somewhere with a link?

Cheers m8

Dee

way ay

i had that problem with loads on that site. seems to be issues with windows media player. try picking the realplayer option, or whatever the other option is but i'll try posting it somewhere else

cheers

brummygit said:
way ay

i had that problem with loads on that site. seems to be issues with windows media player. try picking the realplayer option, or whatever the other option is but i'll try posting it somewhere else

cheers
Mark, make sure it's in an mp3 format, then upload it here:

http://www.lightningmp3.com

The site belongs to NL5, a member here.

Welcome back!

Kick butt tune. It needs some low-ends though. Everything is bright. I would love to hear it with some warm fulness to it. Just a bit stronger bass line? And I say just a bit, because I think the high-ends on this song is what sets it apart. Do I make sense? :confused:

Great vocals and I love the guitar tone.

I do like the dryness on the drums.

I also like the kick-in around 2:49 with about 20 secs before it ends. You might consider doing that a bit sooner, or carrying out the end more.

Why? Because it grabs ya, and that is a good thing. Just ask Martha. :D

Talented. BTW, I listened 5xs.

thanks a lot mate! comments recieved very well this end.

true-eurt said:
Kick butt tune. It needs some low-ends though. Everything is bright. I would love to hear it with some warm fulness to it. Just a bit stronger bass line? And I say just a bit, because I think the high-ends on this song is what sets it apart. Do I make sense? :confused:
yeah it makes alot of sense. the guitar tone is quite thin actually, but whilst i tried to thin out the guitar tone, i didnt compensate by giving anything towards the bass end. as it stands at the moment, there's no bass guitar at all in it, so hopefully an addition of a bassline will add another dimension to the song altogether.

true-eurt said:
Great vocals and I love the guitar tone.
glad you like. i'm not a singer by any means, and the guitar effects are still courtesy of Zoom, with a bit of compression/EQ to define the sound.

true-eurt said:
I do like the dryness on the drums.
interesting. i've never really got a drum sound i've been happy with. i got BFD hear, and still not played with it properly, but getting there i guess.

true-eurt said:
I also like the kick-in around 2:49 with about 20 secs before it ends. You might consider doing that a bit sooner, or carrying out the end more.
yeah i love those snare rolls! the problem at the moment is that the second verse is a repeat of the first, which drags out the song a bit. i think with a bit of variety in the lyrics and maybe a few other elements, the part youre on about could stay where it was. like you say also, the ending is a bit abrupt.

glad you like tho. nice comments, cheers.

Mark

brummygit said:
thanks a lot mate! comments recieved very well this end.

yeah it makes alot of sense. the guitar tone is quite thin actually, but whilst i tried to thin out the guitar tone, i didnt compensate by giving anything towards the bass end. as it stands at the moment, there's no bass guitar at all in it, so hopefully an addition of a bassline will add another dimension to the song altogether.
I wasn't sure on the Bass. I was straining to hear, but thought I did hear a weak bassline in there. So much for my tin ears. :D
brummygit said:
interesting. i've never really got a drum sound i've been happy with. i got BFD hear, and still not played with it properly, but getting there i guess.
I usually like the drums with a much wetter sound, but on this I thought the 'dry' complimented the hi-ends of the vocals and guitar. Just seemed to fit.

brummygit said:
yeah i love those snare rolls! the problem at the moment is that the second verse is a repeat of the first, which drags out the song a bit. i think with a bit of variety in the lyrics and maybe a few other elements, the part youre on about could stay where it was. like you say also, the ending is a bit abrupt.
The whole of the song comes togather at this point. That is why I encourage to stretch it out, wherever it is in the mix. It is like having a hook at the end of the song. I know I sound waaaaaaay out there. :eek:
brummygit said:
glad you like tho. nice comments, cheers.

Mark
I really do like it. It is hit material. I hope you go far with your music...True

This tune would sound a lot better with a Bass Guitar Part. It’s just missing all that bottom end. It’s the first thing I thought when the tune got going then I read the other comments and saw that has already been touched on. The mix sounds quite good otherwise, but it’s hard to make judgement calls on anything else with no low end. The vocals sound a bit loud in this mix to me. That might change with the addition of a bass.

Overall I like your song and mix.

Passing Thru said:
The mix sounds quite good otherwise, but it’s hard to make judgement calls on anything else with no low end.

Overall I like your song and mix.

thanks mate. an old mate of mine said that a song without bass is like a bucket without a bottom. everything just falls out.
i'll have a good crack at a bassline for this one. one of the main things i was (subconsciously) after with this thread is to find out whether the song was worthy of carrying on. from your kind comments it seems so, so i'll put some more work into it and update the link when i'm done.

otherwise, if anyone else has anything else to say about the current version, please fire away!

cheers guys

Mark

Good stuff! I agree that it needs a good, strong bassline.

I'd offer up my services for you, but I don't have any of my gear with me... :(

Rokket said:
Good stuff! I agree that it needs a good, strong bassline.

I'd offer up my services for you, but I don't have any of my gear with me... :(

lol not to worry mate, you'll get it back soon hopefully!
well....the house is quiet, i've just dusted off my keyboard, so will see what i can muster up

Cheers

Mark

i think that the low end is being lost, at least in some way, because of the compression.
if nothing else, back off some of the compression. (esp the acu)

bring the kit up (at least the overs and kick), and distorted git.
i like the sound of that distorted git.
harm vox may be a little loud.

giraffe said:
i think that the low end is being lost, at least in some way, because of the compression.
if nothing else, back off some of the compression. (esp the acu)

not sure where you mean here. only thing that has any compression is the vocal tracks. to be honest, i've not restrung my acoustic guitar since i bought it about 2 years back - purposely though - i kinda like the dull sound you get from worn strings. i think i may have took it a bit far this time tho :) but maybe that's where i could be losing something.

bring the kit up (at least the overs and kick),...
now this i will have to dig the manuals out for :) i'm not a drummer so don't understand dynamics of drumkits, etc, so i'll have to take a look. i've got BFD, so if anyone can translate the above into exactly how to do it with BFD, that would be really helpful.

i like the sound of that distorted git.
yeah i think i've nailed it now after all this time. i never even tweaked the Zoom presets on this one, and no additional effects. just a bit of panning. nice and simple!

harm vox may be a little loud.
not sure where you mean here, as i've not got harmonies in the song.

thanks for your comments though. all have been noted, and am already working on the next version as we sp...type, but any other suggestions that i should throw into the next attempt, lemme know

cheers

Mark

Last edited:
Hey, your drums are miles away :confused: I cant even hear the kick. Same thing with your bass track.

Your guitar sounds good.
Talking about your vocals, well sounds good to me. Actually your vocals is cleaner than mine. Remember different kinds of music applies different kinds of mic technique. Your technique applies to your type of music. It's not necessarily applying same technique with each different genre.

Just bring up that drums, will ya?

yeah no problem. drums at the moment are purely straight from BFD - no reverb, no compression, etc so i guess they need work all around. someone did comment that they like the 'dry' sound, but having listened back over and over, i'm not so sure either. still needing to add a bass track. any bass at the moment is courtesy of my old worn guitar strings :)

Cheers

Mark

Back