First fully Analog Album out

That's got a very retro '70s vibe...reminds me of a variety of things I heard back then. :cool:
Like the organ work....was it a Hammond B3 or a synth/sim?

Only thing....the drums seemed a bit subdued or masked in the mix, and overpowered by the organ/vocals/guitars....I could barely make them out in some spots. It's a personal choice, but I would have pushed them up a bit for some more punch.

You should post it up in the MP3 Clinic if you want a lot of responses.

Could you post a followup when it's released? Also, how did you get that delay on the vocals?

Sure thing, it will be released on the 10 of March in Norway, I'm guessing about a month tops later in the US.
Regarding the delay you speak of, are you talking about the Chorus? I doubled my Vocals at that spot/ and on the falsetto parts in the verse) If I'm not mistaken the only thing added to the vox was an Emt plate (I totally fell in love with that thing :D )

That's got a very retro '70s vibe...reminds me of a variety of things I heard back then. :cool:
Like the organ work....was it a Hammond B3 or a synth/sim?

Only thing....the drums seemed a bit subdued or masked in the mix, and overpowered by the organ/vocals/guitars....I could barely make them out in some spots. It's a personal choice, but I would have pushed them up a bit for some more punch.

You should post it up in the MP3 Clinic if you want a lot of responses.

thanks man, definitely what we're going for.
The Organ is a Hammond, but not a B3 (can't remember the name of the model) it also had Leslie, and it really sounded pwn, we brought a Nord Electro over for the recording, it has some good hammond sounds, but it never saw any usage at all :D
The Moog is also authentic.

I totally see your point regarding the drums, I felt it sounded a bit poppy at first glanse, but after a few listens I though it was cool going a different route, as I tend to leave my recording quite drum heavy.

Sure thing, it will be released on the 10 of March in Norway, I'm guessing about a month tops later in the US.
Regarding the delay you speak of, are you talking about the Chorus? I doubled my Vocals at that spot/ and on the falsetto parts in the verse) If I'm not mistaken the only thing added to the vox was an Emt plate (I totally fell in love with that thing :D )

Yeah, I noticed it was out on the 10th, but I'll probably forget unless I'm reminded and that would be a shame. It sounds very promising.

As for the delay, yes, I think it is the chorus. It's quite prominent around 3:01 and 4:35. It sounds very much like a slapback echo, reminds me of Slade, rather. But if they didn't add any tape delay or something, it must be down to the double-tracking. I don't think you can get that sound out of a plate reverb on its own.

What model was the Moog, out of interest?

thanks man, definitely what we're going for.
The Organ is a Hammond, but not a B3 (can't remember the name of the model) it also had Leslie, and it really sounded pwn, we brought a Nord Electro over for the recording, it has some good hammond sounds, but it never saw any usage at all :D
The Moog is also authentic.

I totally see your point regarding the drums, I felt it sounded a bit poppy at first glanse, but after a few listens I though it was cool going a different route, as I tend to leave my recording quite drum heavy.

Yeah....I've never been a big fan of IN-YOUR-FACE drums, which seems to be the more current/modern flavor of the month....and I've had some similar criticisms about subdued drums. Lately I've adjusted my drum recording approach, and I've let the drums take a little more front-stage in some of my mixes, so maybe that's why your mix initially seemed a little drum-light....but upon hearing it again, it's certainly not bad the way it is, not at all, and the rest of the elements do fill things out very nicely.
It all comes down to YOUR intent and preferences anyway. :)

Great Job, at first I thought the mix sounded a bit dull, but when you turn it up, it has that 70s punch. Interesting to hear an all tape project.

Enjoyed the listen, cool song!

Yeah, I noticed it was out on the 10th, but I'll probably forget unless I'm reminded and that would be a shame. It sounds very promising.

As for the delay, yes, I think it is the chorus. It's quite prominent around 3:01 and 4:35. It sounds very much like a slapback echo, reminds me of Slade, rather. But if they didn't add any tape delay or something, it must be down to the double-tracking. I don't think you can get that sound out of a plate reverb on its own.

What model was the Moog, out of interest?

Cool man, I'll let you know once it's available to you.
We did use alot of Tape slapback throughout the record, but I'm pretty this one is down to me being slightly of time when I'm singing.
We did the both the falsettos and refrain double tracked, and left them panned hard left and right.

I think the moog was a Moog Multimoog, it was the first time our keyboard player ever tried one. he was excited to say the least.

Yeah....I've never been a big fan of IN-YOUR-FACE drums, which seems to be the more current/modern flavor of the month....and I've had some similar criticisms about subdued drums. Lately I've adjusted my drum recording approach, and I've let the drums take a little more front-stage in some of my mixes, so maybe that's why your mix initially seemed a little drum-light....but upon hearing it again, it's certainly not bad the way it is, not at all, and the rest of the elements do fill things out very nicely.
It all comes down to YOUR intent and preferences anyway. :)

Yeah, we have something in Common there, I to have been sorta pulling them drums way up in my soundscapes lately, I kinda got to a point where I was like, hey this is not my sound :D so I'm trying to ease back a bit now.
I pretty much feel that this style and era of music fits well with less punch, but more a melodic prescense.

Great Job, at first I thought the mix sounded a bit dull, but when you turn it up, it has that 70s punch. Interesting to hear an all tape project.

Enjoyed the listen, cool song!

Thanks man, I totally agree with you, it definitely needs to be played loud, I remember our Mastering engineer was really keen on leaving it as organic as it was instead of going the modern way.

We used an Otari mx 80 24 track.

:cool:

Yeah...I love my MX-80.
For an "inexpensive" pro deck compared to other stuff that was out at the same time, the MX-80 gets a lot of good reviews. It's not a color monster...but it doesn't screw up your sound either, it gives you back what you put in.

Oh...here's some info on the Hammaond HX100

Hammond HX100

Yeah...I love my MX-80.
For an "inexpensive" pro deck compared to other stuff that was out at the same time, the MX-80 gets a lot of good reviews. It's not a color monster...but it doesn't screw up your sound either, it gives you back what you put in.

Hammond HX100

Nice info, I really wanna get a Hammond, once you had the real thing ect :D

The Otari is awesome, got one of those in our own studio right now, and so far it's been a great machine.

Yeah...I love my MX-80.

Hammond HX100

That Hammond HX100 is so rare. Always wanted one but most went to Europe. I do have an X-66 and that things draws a lot of attention.

That Hammond HX100 is so rare. Always wanted one but most went to Europe. I do have an X-66 and that things draws a lot of attention.

Thanks!

I checked out the Cowshed studio; looks awesome! And I loved that promo video -- very cool stuff. Best of luck with your album! :)

Thanks man, and likeways to you.

If you guys or anyone else are interested.
We've got a couple of Studio vids (blogs) on youtube from the sessions, they are mostly in Norwegian language, but there is footage of the hammond some synths ect.

D'AccorD studio blog #1 2013 - YouTube

D'AccorD studio blog #2 2013 - YouTube

Back