Firebox Mac Problem

boogle

I just installed Cubase SE on a few computers that will be running with Fireboxes. All works fine but one computer is not talking with the box. All the mac's are G4 Os 10.3.9. They all had fresh os installed recently and all seem to be working fine. No program will talk with the firebox, not quicktime, cubase, nothing. The built in speakers works fine. I just do not know what to do. You do not ever really install the fire box so I do not know how to re-install.

The firebox works fine on the other macs and the other macs fireboxes do not work on this computer, must me softawre.

I have to have this computer up and running by tomorrow. Please help.

Nope, the manual says that you do not need to and the box works fine on the other 3 macs with out installing anything extra.

boogle said:
I just installed Cubase SE on a few computers that will be running with Fireboxes. All works fine but one computer is not talking with the box. All the mac's are G4 Os 10.3.9. They all had fresh os installed recently and all seem to be working fine. No program will talk with the firebox, not quicktime, cubase, nothing. The built in speakers works fine. I just do not know what to do. You do not ever really install the fire box so I do not know how to re-install.

The driver is part of Mac OS X. I can't imagine there being anything wrong with it. Do other FireWire devices work? If so, try flushing the KEXT cache by doing a safe boot (hold down shift as booting starts). Then, reboot a second time without doing safe boot. If it doesn't work at that point, try replacing IOFireWireAVC.kext in /System/Library/Extensions with a copy from another machine, then do the KEXT cache flush trick again.

If other devices don't work, you can isolate it to hardware or software by connecting a 6-pin to 6-pin FireWire cable between two machines. Hold down command-T at the boot chime on the second machine (to put it in FireWire target disk mode), then cable them up. Hold down the option key at startup and select the second machine's hard drive and boot from that. If the device works correctly when you're booting off another machine's hard drive, try reinstalling Mac OS X. It's easier than trying to figure out what bizarre problem might be causing that.... Well, try the KEXT cache flush thing before you go to all that trouble, but....

If it doesn't work while booted off another machine's hard drive, it's probably a blown FireWire PHY on the motherboard. Assuming it's out of warranty, I'd just throw a cheap FireWire card in one of the slots.

Thanks for the input dgatwood, by the time you had posted that I had already begun to reformat and just reinstall the os. When I did everything now works fine.

Back