Finally got a chance to record some real bass!

Ya that's good advice. But I think the main trouble I have is when my body is just spent from the heavy physical activity from work. I've learned it takes a lot of physical energy to sing. Unfortunately that leaves me with one day a week that might be ideal for tracking vocals, and I'm lucky when that day isn't already filled.

The way you are with bass is how I am with guitars. Usually nail them on the first or second take. Vocals take me 2 or 3 takes on those rare days I ain't beating my body up, and on work days it can take 5 or 6 takes to hit some phrases with any kind of precision.

Maybe someday the government will start a home recording musicians fund and we can take a year off from work to record.

Just spent the last 10 minutes fighting with my modem, and now I gotta run.

On quick listen it sounds really good. I'm anxious to hear you do more with real bass.

More tomorrow after a more thorough listen...

Yeah, I know...I'm lucky having a computer-based job and friendly co-workers who can stand my singing during the day. But I must admit: I sing better on non-working days. I'm more relaxed.

I need my dayjob to keep me focused, though. Nowadays, I write and record a tune every day off...but when I'd take a whole year off I wouldn't produce anything I'm afraid. I don't know why... :)

very nice.......i love the acoustic at the beginning.....nice vibrato...very well played.....vocals are great too.......

as for the bass....pretty solid, you could probably even turn it up some......

awlright!!!!

.......i havent heard this yet, but ive got one thing to say......

.......You better not be playin this with a pic fucker!!!!!

LMAO.........:D

.........back in a minute.

.......Im back.
......:D

.......man, did you ever need one of these. Very very cool man. First and foremost...... this is a GREAT song. ....careful man, youre fiddling around w/ 4/4........ before you know it you'll be dreaming of Britney and singing songs about adolecent girls:D :D . This is imo one of the best tunes Ive heard from you in a while. Im a lover of big hooks at heart, so your pop sensibility coming to the surface is nothing but a great thing to me........ GREAT song man!!!

.....the bass. It doesnt sound too bad. Its a little inconsistant in the mix, but messing w/ your compressor and a little more time w/ the instrument will cure that. Im liking the sound of a real bass in your song alot. Im so used to the BIG synth bass sound (which i also like)..... this seems to thin out your low end a little... and that might be a cool thing. .....get your pennies together and pick up that jazz bass.
.....and no more complaining about overwork damnit. ....as my wife says...."you picked your job, not me" .....problem is dear, no...... I didnt really:( :rolleyes: .

Great stuff bro, I cant wait to hear this finished!!!
Mike

Bass sounds good,really brings the rythym section out.
From one hack bass player to another.:D
Nice playing.

I had a Fender Jazz bass,could never get the hang of it.
The thing was two darn big.
Now I have an old Gibson SG body style someone lent me.
Much better,feels like a guitar.
Something you might want to consider when/if you buy one.

I really like this song,interesting writing.
Is it about a cat,or did I miss the meaning?
(I dig cats!):D

The acoustic guitars sound great,how did you record them?
I liked the little melody going on.

Very fine tune,looking foward to the next take,
Pete

sounds pretty neat..but the bass sounds out of tune to me. (anyone else hear that?)

spiffy gtr solo.

not your usual stellar mix job and vocals, but good never the less.

sonomabish;

Thats Italian LOL

now Ima gonna have to go back and download another one from you!!:D :D :D sonomabish

I'm too burnt to listen right now.....but I have a Peavy bass I'll sell for $100. It's passibly decent.

The bass sounds pretty descent..

Thats a killer little guitar solo at 1:28..

This song is very catchy, I like it alot...

The more I listen to it, the more I like it...
A little more polishing and I think you'll have another gem...

Very, very cool...

:)

Thanks for the listens fellas! I guess I'll work for a real bass. Sounds like I at least have some potential as far as playing goes. As for this song, some have probably noticed that how much effort I put into the mix and the singing depends on how much I like the song. To be honest, this song kinda started boring me after I got past tracking the bass over the guitars. My girlfriend likes it though. She likes cats. :) I guess I do too.

So I'll keep the guitar solo and scratch everything else. :D

Oooh those dirty guitars sound good! I don't know if it's the real bass that made the difference, but I found this to be your best dirty sound so far. I loved the chords that kicked in the dirty parts each time, and it was so cool that each one was different.

And yeah, you could hear those strings on the bass - don't go back! Get yourself a bass!

I can hear the vocals being out of tune in spots, but I really have to be listening for it. I think they sound great. You're singing ambitious parts.

Great song too, but you said it would be "straight-ish". Dream on:D A little more subtle, but just as out there.

first post in my new joint! I knew you would have something new waiting.. I got some new Bose computer speakers and I don't know them well enough to make any mix suggestions, and nothing else is set up yet..

Anyway, this sounds great on these speakers.. some of the low of the heavy guitars seems like it may be pushing it, but I don't know these well enough to support that propaganda.. Love the tune.. Great solo!!!!!! Feels good to be back.. I'll send you an email when I make some headway..I downloaded this the other night so maybe there is a new mix.. I didn't read the thread yet..

I haven't been disappointed yet by any of your tunes.. I think this is easier to digest on the first listen too.. great stuff! The bass didn't make or break it for me because it's all good! :)

Hey Sam...welcome back man. Don't spend too much time analyzing this tune. It's just a ruffie to test my bass potential!

Send me an email and tell me how the new place is going.

i like the song. it's very.....normal :).

i really dig the crunch at :40!!!!

gotta be honest, can't really feel the bass all too well. i can hear it but i can't feel it if you know what i mean?

BLAH BLAH BL;AH.......you suck.BLAH..great tune..BLAHHHH..

DAMNIT!!!! i still feel like a troll in these here part's!:D
ditto blahhhhhblahBLAH BLAHditto!!!!!!

thank's for anotheren, home sluice!!!!!

Peace

Rick

Yeah, isn't bass fun to play. I'm a crappy bass player, but it's so much fun that I'm not farming it out to anybody else. Mr Q volunteered to do some bass on some of my stuff, but I haven't taken him up on it - and he's a super good bass player too, years better than me - the thing is, playing bass is too much fun to pass up. I only play on the top three strings, and one note at a time - life is wonderfully simple when I play bass. :D

Perry - how about boosting the bass a bit? LOL

Why'd you pan the e guitar break left? Why not right up the middle?

It's a beautiful song. You know, there are loads of Sufi stories where somebody is seeking wisdom or some special paranormal ability, and among those there's an unusually high number of stories where what the seeker wants is to learn the language of animals. I know my cat understands the emotional content of what I say to him. I'm trying to learn how to return the favor.

"I am a follower of everything you do."

But there's a time for everything, and it isn't always now. Ace song. I like unusual love songs. They're the only ones I like, mostly. :)

"Just wondering, by no means trying to piss you off, but are you listening to mixes posted on this clinic with a smily EQ set? Different speakers color the sound more than enough, let alone smily EQ sets!"

Ped - You are probably right, but at least I put the disclaimer on, plus you seemed to agree with me ;) :)

SLuCie - The song is still really good and the guitars are incredible. I love the sound of them!

Cool Vibe!

Your voice has a real "classic" sound to it on this tune and sounds excellent! The mix sounds real clean to me (I haven't read any of the other comments, so you probably already have a ton of good feedback already) :)

I like the bass line and the real plucking definitely makes a difference. I would have liked to hear it a little louder in the mix. :)

I like the interplay of the acousticness of the song with the harder, edgier stuff.

Very good writing and great recording ... That bass going up is just preference stuff ... :)

Back