Finally analog Reverb

Nakatira

That Norwegian Bastard
I utterly hate digital reverb, I've never ever found a verb that I really enjoyed.
Trying a plate last year for the first time blew my mind, so I knew I had to go analog :D
I want to get a plate, but as you know thoses things are a bit costly to say the least.

I've been reading on Spring reverbs here and all over the webs, I came to the conclusion that I wanted a Demeter RV1, werent many left on the web, but I found one on Vintage king.

So it finally arrived yesterday, I was kinda miffed at first because it sounded really weird and pretty much dead, once we decided to open the box and remove the protective foam (for shipping) :o:laughings:
It totallt blew my mind, We ran it all over a mix, just to sorta see what it can do, and even if I would do a dryer run for mixdown, it sounded totally amazing.

We plan on doing a demo vid of it if anyone is interested.

I'd be interested because I've never thought of Spring reverb as sounding good. So I'd be real curious how yours is sounding to give it such a raving review.

Of course, it could just be different strokes and you're real fond of spring reverb, but I'm still curious nonetheless. =]

I'd be interested because I've never thought of Spring reverb as sounding good. So I'd be real curious how yours is sounding to give it such a raving review.

Of course, it could just be different strokes and you're real fond of spring reverb, but I'm still curious nonetheless. =]

I'm no a huge spring fan, but after lots of reading I read upon them variying vastly in quality, from the the cheapos that go for less than 100$ and the more expensive ones-
I ended up going for a rather costly one, as I heard it handled drums pretty well, something that is rare for a spring reverb.
After todays quick test, I most certainly think it did.

I look forward to see what you guys think.

If you go for the DIY plate, please do post a thread here or in DIY, I've seen various threads around, and it would be good to have more insight. some of hte blogs I've read sound like "so I got my tig welder out and made the cross piece out of......."

Now that very decent mics/mixers/power amps and speakers are so cheap maybe think about the old |"cellar" reverb?

Can be any room or even a stairwell ( mics at top, speaker at bottom) . Naturally the room can only be used when unoccupied ! But plenty of studios use the bogs for this so work had to fit around people's evacuation patterns! If you are lucky enough to have an unused basement it is usual to place some hard objects about it to cause multiple reflections. Large ceramic sewer pipes seemed favourite.

Jusafort!

Dave.

In the early 1980s I recorded at a studio owned by the band Foghat. They had a cement corridor with a Marshall stack at one end and microphones every 25ft. , as well as plate verb that sounded great on snare drum.

In the early 1980s I recorded at a studio owned by the band Foghat. They had a cement corridor with a Marshall stack at one end and microphones every 25ft. , as well as plate verb that sounded great on snare drum.

That sounds interesting, Where was that studio? I have been using a RealTube spring reverb for 20 years, I love it. There is the tendency to get "pings" every now and then, like sonar.

Oooo! I would want something a bit more "Fi" than that! Maybe an old 15" Tannoy Gold? (with Radford or Mcintosh amps depending upon your 10/20.)

Dave.

Now that very decent mics/mixers/power amps and speakers are so cheap maybe think about the old |"cellar" reverb?

Can be any room or even a stairwell ( mics at top, speaker at bottom) . Naturally the room can only be used when unoccupied ! But plenty of studios use the bogs for this so work had to fit around people's evacuation patterns! If you are lucky enough to have an unused basement it is usual to place some hard objects about it to cause multiple reflections. Large ceramic sewer pipes seemed favourite.

Jusafort!

Dave.

Awesome info guys, gonna try this out.

I would love to get a real plate....but that's erasier said than done. I have the assortment of spring reverbs intended for guitar amp use, and I also have a tape delay unit w/spring reverb meant for both instrument and PA/studio use...but it's not that useable for most things (the spring reverb portion). The tape delay section has it's personality but that too isn't going to work for everything.

I've seen some guys in the past attempt to build their own plates...but there's more to it than just a steel plate and a couple of wires at each end....:D....so often, the home jobs don't really deliver those great plate sounds we've heard on pro mixes, which is why I still prefer my digital reverbs. They can simulate a plate much better than anything one can build with basic tools/materials, and likewise when it comes to room/hall reverbs.
I mean....I know of a couple of places where the room/hall reverb sound is great....but there's no way I'm going to be able to drag my recording rig to those places, or build them! :p

Jusafort!

Dave.

I would love to get a real plate....but that's erasier said than done. I have the assortment of spring reverbs intended for guitar amp use, and I also have a tape delay unit w/spring reverb meant for both instrument and PA/studio use...but it's not that useable for most things (the spring reverb portion). The tape delay section has it's personality but that too isn't going to work for everything.

I've seen some guys in the past attempt to build their own plates...but there's more to it than just a steel plate and a couple of wires at each end....:D....so often, the home jobs don't really deliver those great plate sounds we've heard on pro mixes, which is why I still prefer my digital reverbs. They can simulate a plate much better than anything one can build with basic tools/materials, and likewise when it comes to room/hall reverbs.
I mean....I know of a couple of places where the room/hall reverb sound is great....but there's no way I'm going to be able to drag my recording rig to those places, or build them! :p

Yeah I have my doubts about the plate build as well, but I've become quite the analog extremist lately and I want to be making music in a fully analog domain, for no other reason than vanity and ect, but that's allowed in music aint it :D

I've read quite a few bad reviews on home builds, but it seems we'll be able to build one quite hassle free, with friends as welders, steel vendors ect, so then it will be worth the time I figure.
I think if we are lucky with the steel plate, it's just down to adjustments and parts on the latter.

One of the coolest spring reverbs I ever heard was Craig Anderton's Hot Springs sold by PAIA. I don't care for spring verbs in general, but this is a good one as springs go. I've been using digital verbs since the mid 80's and I was happy to say goodbye to springs. One of the best plate verbs I've heard to this day is found in the Lexicon LXP-1 digital processor (circa 1989). It's every bit as sweet as the real plates I used in the early 80's.

Here's a link to Anderton's spring project still sold by PAIA

PAiA - 6740K Hot Springs Reverb Kit, Hot Springs Reverb, 6740K

A lot of the newer outboard Chinese made digital verbs just plain suck, but the older Alesis and Lexicon stuff from late 80's to early 90's rock IMO.

I do now recall seeing what must be the Mother of all spring reverbs!

It was intended to give an electronic (all valve!) church organ some assistance in sounding "cathedralistic" in a small chapel.

There were some 5-8 IIRC springs of different lengths looping in and out of the control box and it was made by the mighty Hammond Organ Company.
Never got to hear it tho!

Dave.

One of the coolest spring reverbs I ever heard was Craig Anderton's Hot Springs sold by PAIA. I don't care for spring verbs in general, but this is a good one as springs go. I've been using digital verbs since the mid 80's and I was happy to say goodbye to springs. One of the best plate verbs I've heard to this day is found in the Lexicon LXP-1 digital processor (circa 1989). It's every bit as sweet as the real plates I used in the early 80's.

Here's a link to Anderton's spring project still sold by PAIA

PAiA - 6740K Hot Springs Reverb Kit, Hot Springs Reverb, 6740K

A lot of the newer outboard Chinese made digital verbs just plain suck, but the older Alesis and Lexicon stuff from late 80's to early 90's rock IMO.

I agree on the old rack stuff by lexicon ect, is way better than the consumer stuff that's out there today, we've got a few old Lexicon and Sony rack verbs to, not really got to test them as thouroughly as I'd like yet, I'm sure there are some nice verbs once I get familiraized with the dials ect.

I do now recall seeing what must be the Mother of all spring reverbs!

It was intended to give an electronic (all valve!) church organ some assistance in sounding "cathedralistic" in a small chapel.

There were some 5-8 IIRC springs of different lengths looping in and out of the control box and it was made by the mighty Hammond Organ Company.
Never got to hear it tho!

Dave.

Now that sounds like something I'd love to try out :D

Back