Fifty dollar mics

Mikey,

I got two MB3000Ls on two separate purchases. These are, in fact, very good mics. I posted this.

Promises | Blow Your Own Horn

Nice track Larry.... I think the MB will work well on your voice....On some voices I think they almost have a condenser kind of detail..... like some of the AKG dynamics also achieve.

Let us know what you think about the ATR30

It's a ridiculous bargain and every bit as good as a 58 etc. and probably better than a lot of $60 -$100 mics that are out there.

I use an ATR-30 for my recordings and I think it sounds pretty good. I've compared it to a SM58 and it was pretty similar but the mids were a bit more forward and a little less bright but it held up very well against the industry standard

Mikey,

I got two MB3000Ls on two separate purchases. These are, in fact, very good mics. I posted this.

Promises | Blow Your Own Horn

I haven't had a chance to try them as vocals mics yet. Which is their intended purpose. But I'm impressed.

Also I have an EV Cobalt. It's a CO4. It was recommended in this thread and it's another good quality mic that's sold in the budget price range.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

I really like the feel of that song Larry. And the MB3000L's performed great. Definitely a mic that doesn't get the attention it deserves - which is one of the things I love about it.
Also, it's good to see this thread back on the first page...

I really like the feel of that song Larry. And the MB3000L's performed great. Definitely a mic that doesn't get the attention it deserves - which is one of the things I love about it.
Also, it's good to see this thread back on the first page...

brother rat,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm back in school and I haven't had much chance to play with my new microphones. I recorded last Friday night but I just used the internal mics on my Zoom H4. We were playing as a duo so I just stuck it in close to our amps to reduce audience noise. We don't play very loud.

But I'm still doing my radio show and I did post production on John Shepherd and Happy Hour recorded at the Craighead Forest Bandshell. This was recorded to my Zoom H4 in stereo using two Realistic 1070 omnis with wind screens, one on the PA and one dead center on the stage between the two PA columns. These are my go to mics for recording out of doors where wind might be a problem. They are available used and cheap and have been covered in this thread and others. Wonderful mics made by Shure for Radio Shack. EV RE50 clones.

Here's a link.

John Shepherd Live at Craighead Forest Bandshell on 2010-09-26 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

I did some additional post on the originals and I hope to be able to upload them soon. Mostly eq to bring out the vocals and I fixed a few little mistakes with edits to the stereo track. Mistakes are inevitable at live shows and I think when something sounds this good if you can fix a mistake you should.

Enjoy!

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

I thought that you had found an other $50. microphone and I thought to myself, how many out there could there be?

Nice recording. seems like you got the levels by the second song.

moresound,

Yeah. At Blues Fest we use a high quality but not too high powered vocals pa and sometimes it's challenging to get the vocals out front over loud electric guitars. I did some additional post on the originals in the set on a song by song basis. EQ, compression, and some minor fixes. I think I've got a live CD.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

I wonder how the CO4 compares to the CO7, I got the CO7's at 2 for 60 bucks. Seem like nice enough mics, especially at 30 bones apiece.

Here's what I think is maybe an original PL80 that's been painted black.... can't say for sure. They maybe had a couple of similar shaped ones ....???
Larry you know more about these mics.... was there another EV shaped like the PL80?

I think the PL95 was a rehash of the DS35 wasn't it .....???

1990's Microphone-EV - eBay (item 400192877754 end time Mar-05-11 17:23:36 PST)

If you live nearby it might be worth dropping over and having a look......But for $39 you might just get it and figure that it's an EV so it won't suck.

Here's an opinion from the OP of this thread.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/equipment-forums/microphones/ev-pl95-251028/

Last edited:
Here's what I think is maybe an original PL80 that's been painted black.... can't say for sure. They maybe had a couple of similar shaped ones ....???
Larry you know more about these mics.... was there another EV shaped like the PL80?

I think the PL95 was a rehash of the DS35 wasn't it .....???

1990's Microphone-EV - eBay (item 400192877754 end time Mar-05-11 17:23:36 PST)

If you live nearby it might be worth dropping over and having a look......But for $39 you might just get it and figure that it's an EV so it won't suck.

Here's an opinion from the OP of this thread.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/equipment-forums/microphones/ev-pl95-251028/

Mikey,

You got me on this one. Looks kind of pieced together. I don't think it's a PL80. Maybe an RE50. But they came black anyway I think. Or maybe black or grey. ??? Somebody probably painted it black to use on a video set.

I've bought several PL80s and I don't think I spent $39 yet. Not that they're not worth it.

EV has them back in production. Has anyone tried a new one? Are they extremely similar to the old ones or do they just look the same?

specs on PL95 here.

http://leonaudio.biz/pa-gear/pl95.pdf

DS35 here

Electro-Voice DS35

They look the same to me.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Mikey,

You got me on this one. Looks kind of pieced together. I don't think it's a PL80. Maybe an RE50. But they came black anyway I think. Or maybe black or grey. ??? Somebody probably painted it black to use on a video set.

I've bought several PL80s and I don't think I spent $39 yet. Not that they're not worth it.

EV has them back in production. Has anyone tried a new one? Are they extremely similar to the old ones or do they just look the same?

specs on PL95 here.

http://leonaudio.biz/pa-gear/pl95.pdf

DS35 here

Electro-Voice DS35

They look the same to me.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

I think the Re50 was the ENG Omni with the small basket wasn't it? This is probably a PL80 from what I can figure out so far.

I heard the new PL80 was fairly different from the original but I also would like to hear from someone who's had the opportuinty to compare them.

Here's a link to a pretty interesting and well written rant by a FOH guy which covers a few EV mics.... he also confirms the DS35 / PL95 correlation.

http://www.careysound.com/downloads/techfiles/files/whatsinyourmicdrawer.pdf

Last edited:
What about vintage Oktavas? They get dirt cheap on ebay, sometimes below 10$. I'm thinking about the MD-80A, MD-85, MKE-2 or pretty much any soviet-era Oktava mic. Has anyone ever given one of them a try?

Awesome thread by the way... can't wait until I receive my 1070b!

What about vintage Oktavas? They get dirt cheap on ebay, sometimes below 10$. I'm thinking about the MD-80A, MD-85, MKE-2 or pretty much any soviet-era Oktava mic. Has anyone ever given one of them a try?

Awesome thread by the way... can't wait until I receive my 1070b!

Shure must have made a million 1070 mics because you never have to wait to long to find one on ebay. Dynamic omnis don't get the love they deserve. When Deutsche Gramaphon recorded symphony orchestras direct to disk they had a pair of dynamic omnis in the concert hall. Most likely EV RE55s.

Soviet Oktava's get a lot of recognition but I have no first hand experience with them.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

The sennheiser E609 is a great 100$ mic for mic'ing up amps and my because of its shape most of the time I just drape it over the amp and skip the mic stand altogether. Also its great for picking up the mids.

The sennheiser E609 is a great 100$ mic for mic'ing up amps and my because of its shape most of the time I just drape it over the amp and skip the mic stand altogether. Also its great for picking up the mids.

+1 for this. I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this mic yet since they can sometimes be found used for about 50 bucks, too.

Ev pl9

Hi,

These mics are hard to find and they usually go closer to $100 but I just got my second one in the range. I now have a pair for just under $110 total (when I receive my shipment).

Still they are fantastic pro mics even at the $100 price and it is possible to get them closer to fifty bucks. So I thought I'd add them to the list.

Here's a post I made about them.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/equipment-forums/microphones/ev-pl9-329319/#post3716072

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Back