Ferrograph Series 6 tape deck. Good for mixdown?

gentlejohn

I'm looking at a Ferrograph Series 6 reel-to-reel machine that's come up. I've been in touch with the seller and, although they can't give me a model no. (they don't sound like the brightest of sparks to be honest!) I'm guessing going from the picture it's a 632 unit. Apparently it 'needs some maintenance' but 'probably just a new belt'. I'm just wondering if it's worth exploring further and whether this would make a decent 2 track deck for stereo mixing down to? I think it might be a valve model from my limited research to date. Any input would be much appreciated. The seller is open to offers (but to quote: "Nothing insulting mind!") If I do decide to take a punt on this then any thoughts as to what what kind of price to offer for such a unit in need of maintenance? Many thanks!

The chancing of a 50+ year old machine only needing a belt are pretty slim, and especially so considering it's an all tube unit which may contain possibly impossible to find replacement tubes and very possibly some or all of the electrolytic capacitors which may have dried up at this stage and also require replacing. There may also be issues with the heads and any of the metal and rubber parts of the tape path which could be worn.

Plus, isn't the 632 a mono unit? If so, did you plan on doing mono mixdowns or stereo mixdowns?

Also, sellers who plead technical ignorance is the number one ploy to offload gear that may be riddled with problems.

Be careful.

Cheers! :)

Wise words FM Ghost!
Thanks for your swift reply. I was beginning to have serious doubts (and you've just confirmed most of them!) OK, the search continues! Criteria: A decent 2-track machine for mixing down to (in STEREO) running at the highest speed I can afford (preferably 15ips) and a unit that accepts 1/4" tape (oh, and had stereo outputs too!). Not much to ask for on a very limited budget then!

Wise words FM Ghost!
Thanks for your swift reply. I was beginning to have serious doubts (and you've just confirmed most of them!) OK, the search continues! Criteria: A decent 2-track machine for mixing down to (in STEREO) running at the highest speed I can afford (preferably 15ips) and a unit that accepts 1/4" tape (oh, and had stereo outputs too!). Not much to ask for on a very limited budget then!

revox a77

I was going to suggest a PR99 or high-speed B77 if you can find one. I haven't tried the A77, but the Revox machines are generally very good. Note that they come in both high-speed and low-speed versions, except for the PR99 which I believe is always high-speed. If I remember right, the only A77 machines which were high-speed were factory-modded ones, it wasn't a stock configuration.

EDIT: Low speed: 3.75 / 7.5ips High speed: 7.5 / 15 ips

Bit late on parade but no, don't buy a Ferrograph series 6! Yes, they were valved. the 7 series was the first transistorized machine but was panned by the press because it retained those g'dawful pressure pads.

The old Wright&Wear decks gained a following because they were rugged and made good editing machines for radio bods. Not very good W&F figures mind. Also neither machine could take NAB reels.

The Revox A77 was a much better machine technically, if rather "delicate". If one is found in factory order the input and outputs circuits really need modding to accept studio levels and give a decent, low Z output.

The B77 was a much more "pro" than semi-pro recorder. Wish I had one!

Dave.

Wise words FM Ghost!

Dont know about the availability on your side of the pond, but check out Otari MTR-10 or -12. Great bang for the buck!

The Ferrograph Series 7 wasn't panned by the press, just the Hi-fi brigade from my memory, and I certainly liked the 7 and the super 7. Dolby B was looped out by the Dolby licensing agreement when you switched to 15ips, but that was easily modded. The variable fwd to rewind control I loved. I'd agree the pads were mildly annoying, but I preferred the 7 and super 7 to the Revoxes - although the inability of the Series 7 to take the big reels was a pain, running time wise. I recorded lots of stuff on mine. The 722 I had was retired in 78 when it fell down the stairs when the lid hinges broke while I was carrying it! I know people love the A and B series Revoxes, but I was a confirmed Ferrograph user.

The Ferrograph Series 7 wasn't panned by the press, just the Hi-fi brigade from my memory, and I certainly liked the 7 and the super 7. Dolby B was looped out by the Dolby licensing agreement when you switched to 15ips, but that was easily modded. The variable fwd to rewind control I loved. I'd agree the pads were mildly annoying, but I preferred the 7 and super 7 to the Revoxes - although the inability of the Series 7 to take the big reels was a pain, running time wise. I recorded lots of stuff on mine. The 722 I had was retired in 78 when it fell down the stairs when the lid hinges broke while I was carrying it! I know people love the A and B series Revoxes, but I was a confirmed Ferrograph user.

Hi Rob,

I would not call Terry Rob and Hugh Ford of Studio Sound "The Hi-Fi" press!

I agree, the 7 was a nice machine. The AV firm I was associated with had one and it served them very well for all sorts of recording situations. But pressure pads were really old hat by then and "designed out" of most semi-pro tape machines.

The 7 was replaced for general duties by B77s but was kept for its lowest speed option for customer dupes. The company also had 2 Teac A3440s. I still have one.

Dave.

Back