FAVORITE VOCALISTS!

Tweedville

Who are your favorite vocalists? There are many styles of music out there,so let's hear it.For my era,it has always been Paul Rodgers,with Glenn Hughes running a close second;but Paul Rodgers has so much soul........grab those old Free albums!

Yeah Paul Rogers is top of the list for me to. Ian Gillan, Steve Perry, Robert Plant also amoung my fav's.

In no particular order.....

Ozzy
Mike Patton
Chris Cornell
and
the chick outta Portishead (Beth Gibbons is it??)
many apologies to anyone i left off the list.....

I still think that Frank Black has one of the coolest voices in rock music, from his Pixies work to his solo work. His voice ranges from a low growl to high pitched.

So many to choose from, for starters:

Ella Fitzgerald
Elvis
Buddy Holly
SRV
Brian Setzer
Johny Cash
Jr. Brown
John Lee Hooker
T-Bone Walker
Louis Armstrong
Hank Williams Sr.
Patsy Cline
Tony Rice
David Lee Roth

and sooooooo many more that I can't think of right now- brain fart.

Paul Westerberg and Ian Blurton.
Westerberg's voice sometimes makes me wish I'd taken up smoking.
Jeff

YES FOR ELLA!

Hey ........great selections everyone.I guess I was choosing mainly rock form.Good to see Ella Fitzgerald in there (good one,Daddy O).Also,how about Tony Bennett? He is rather timeless.....the Unplugged MTV show was great.There are so many to choose from.It's all about gut level emotion,not perfectly schooled intonation.I guess that's why I like Paul Rodgers so much,as well as The band Free...Paul Kossoff was a class study in economy .

Daddy-O, if you want her to notice you in a positve light, better learn how to spell her name correctly! :)

My own choices, in no special order:

Steve Winwood
Jack Bruce
John Lennon
Paul McCartney
Van Morrison
Andy Partridge
Sting
Kate Bush
Jane Siberry
Virginia Rodriguez
Milton Nasciemento
Caetano Veloso
Joe Cocker
Mike Patto
Emmylou Harris
Merle Haggard
Otis Redding
Stevie Wonder
Marvin Gaye
Aretha Franklin
Ella Fitzgerald
Tony Bennett

how about we throw some odd ones in
Arthur Brown
Hudson and Ford
Justin Haywood
Vanilla Fudge
Amazing Blondel
Flo and Eddie
Bobby Darin
Jackie Wilson
Little Richard
Sam Cook
Colliseum
Phoebe Snow
Billy Holiday
Cindy Lauper
Bjork
Joan Baez
and on and on and on.

Has anyone checked out Brad Roberts new "stuff"?
I'm diggin it.
Also Ellen Reid's voice puts sexy thoughts into my brain.

Jeff Buckley for sure. Mike Patton, Nina Simon, Bjork, Johnny Hartman, M. Doughty (Soul Coughing), Ella, Rebecca Gates (Spinanes), Bessie Smith, Peter Gabriel, Mark Anthony Thompson (Chocolate Genius), The Chairman of the Board, Mark Eitzel

The overall best!

I must say that my favorite overall vocalist (as well as composer and bass player) is Sir McCartney.He can sing ANYTHING,and his past catalog,even post-fab four,will blow you away.Paul Rodgers for soulish,gutsy R&B drenched rock,but Macca for overall best!

I'm fond of the lovely Yoko Ono! No, not really. King Nothing has it right Maynard from Tool/A Perfect Circle is one of the greatist vocalist around. You may not agree with his lyrics but man can he sing.

Back