Favorite Soundtracks?

The Lost In Translation s/t is probably my personal favourite. Kevin Shields, Phoenix, Jesus & Mary Chain and a bunch of other great woozy shit. It's the aural equivalent of codeine.

And the Amores Perros one is pretty great too. Morricone type guitar stuff mixed in with a load of latin hiphop :D

I like ennio morricone 'once upon a time in america'

They were doing an Ennio tribute on TCM a couple of weeks ago...so of course, the westerns were at the heart of that.

There's a lot of great soundtracks....and I don't mean movies that just feature a bunch of Rock/Pop/Country songs strung together. Songs can certainly help the movie, but I don't consder them actual "soundtrack"...as in the musical score for the movie or the sound design.
One that just came to mind (and not necessarily my all time favorite, but a good soundtrack) is from the movie "Patton"....but then, most anything Jerry Goldsmith ever did was a pretty good soundtrack. :)

Another is "Blade Runner" and then from that same period, "Chariots of Fire" both done by Vangelis.

Also like a lot of the stuff Hans Zimmer has done...Gladiator, Thin Red Line, Crimson Tide.....

Oh, and also the Requiem For A Dream soundtrack by Clint Mansell. Everything feels like it will become a total disaster at any moment when I listen to that song. Total impending doom. Love it.

Oh, and also the Requiem For A Dream soundtrack by Clint Mansell. Everything feels like it will become a total disaster at any moment when I listen to that song. Total impending doom. Love it.

Yeah, definitely - that soundtrack's a classic. His one for The Fountain is really good too.

In terms of recent soundtrack composers, I also like Yann Tiersen's stuff and in particular the Goodbye Lenin soundtrack. Usually quite simple melodies, but really evocative.

That is one kooky movie....depressing and weird, yet also entertaining and even funny in a sad way.

It made a big impression on me when I saw it at the cinema. I remember gazing at the screen for a long time as the credits rolled. I felt numb. Not many movies can do that. An outstanding movie.

Following week was Caravan...
Now there was one fantastic band, and also hugely underrated. "Golf girl", "Magic man", "For Richard".........aaaaahhhhh......

When you get a cello going....it can really bring on that gloomy vibe
Which reminds me, I really like the soundtrack to Hitchcock's "Psycho."
"Man of La Mancha" and "The sound of music" are also up there.
and I don't mean movies that just feature a bunch of Rock/Pop/Country songs strung together. Songs can certainly help the movie, but I don't consider them actual "soundtrack"...
Perhaps not......but sometimes the songs are integral to the movie. And in that context, two that are magnificent are "Head" which is probably second only to "Eraserhead" as the all time weirdest movie {it actually beats "Magical mystery tour" at it's own game by being both drug sodden and entertaining ! } and "All you need is cash" which as a film isn't all that, but as a soundtrack has some of the best parodies yet found on the English sector of planet earth. So good they actually stand on their own.
And this is just the ultimate, complete with that oh so simple but glorious bass line, that "I simply can't get it out of my head nearly half a century later" melody and the sound effects. Without the FX it's a masterpiece. With them, it's an "I'm going round, through, beneath, between and behind oh my days !" masterpiece.

Back