Fast Track condensor mic compatible??? AH!

HyperAXISZ2

Hey all...
So I just went out and purchased an M-AUDIO fast track USB interface, and although I've gotten some alright results with recording, I have a question.. I have a dynamic mic, and soon am going to purchase a condensor mic (along with phantom power :) ), but in the manual and on the box, it says the XLR input is for dynamic microphones... Does this mean ONLY dynamic microphones, or does this also work with condensor microphones?

Totally confused, because plugging a dynamic microphone using a 1/4 input on the interface causes horrible noise, so I guess microphones are meant for the XLR input, so I need an XLR to XLR cable to hook up my dynamic mic to my interface? And if I hooked up a condensor mic to a preamp (with phatnom power), and hooked up that preamp into the 1/4 input, would that cause noise? And one more question, say I hooked up a condensor mic to a preamp, and then hooked up the preamp to the XLR input using an XLR cable...

Soooo confused, any help would be greatly appreciated! :p

MAudio have found a sneaky way of saying that their FastTrack interface lacks phantom power by saying it's for dynamic mics only.

No, you can't plug a mic into the 1/4" input - it's a hiZ input for an electric guitar or bass.

Yes, if you find some other way to provide phantom power and the necessary cable (XLR to XLR) you will be able to use a condenser mic without noise.

Your plan to connect a condenser mic to a preamp with phantom power and then to the interface will work just fine.

Awesome, thanks so much! :) :) This was my biggest concern with the fast track! Now I know I won't need to return it... heh

Back