External compressor with PC - how to connect?

I have never encountered an interface with inserts.

The best way to do it is set up a hardware insert in your DAW. OP, what DAW are you using and what interface are you using?

Cheers :)

My recording set up is (generally):

Instruments/vocals >>> Mackie mixer >>> 4-track tape recorder >>> PC

The reason for the 4-track in the chain is so that I can record two tracks simultaneously, pan them hard L and R and record them to two separate tracks within Cubase.

I agree with a previous poster about making sure that what you are recording is nicely balanced to avoid having to fix it later, but I would still like advice on possibly using an external piece of compression/reverb hardware within my set-up during mixing.

My recording set up is (generally):

Instruments/vocals >>> Mackie mixer >>> 4-track tape recorder >>> PC

The reason for the 4-track in the chain is so that I can record two tracks simultaneously, pan them hard L and R and record them to two separate tracks within Cubase.

I agree with a previous poster about making sure that what you are recording is nicely balanced to avoid having to fix it later, but I would still like advice on possibly using an external piece of compression/reverb hardware within my set-up during mixing.

I run my inputs through a Mackei mixer and use an external compressor using the inserts. But, I have been reducing/removing the compressor as I am learning to track better (I used it as a limiter to avoid clipping during recording). I still use it for DI bass going in as I am still not a bass player and it seems that playing technique on a bass is important for good tracking (based on what I have been reading from others on another thread since I am not really a bass player).

You really loose dynamics if compressing going in and leaves you less options during the mix.

I run my inputs through a Mackei mixer and use an external compressor using the inserts. But, I have been reducing/removing the compressor as I am learning to track better (I used it as a limiter to avoid clipping during recording). I still use it for DI bass going in as I am still not a bass player and it seems that playing technique on a bass is important for good tracking (based on what I have been reading from others on another thread since I am not really a bass player).

You really loose dynamics if compressing going in and leaves you less options during the mix.

I can see how using compression during recording can help avoid clipping, and/or if you want to commit to the 'effect' from the start.

However, it's how to use it during mixdown in my set-up which I'm still curious about (i.e. where to place the hardware in a chain).

I can see how using compression during recording can help avoid clipping, and/or if you want to commit to the 'effect' from the start.

However, it's how to use it during mixdown in my set-up which I'm still curious about (i.e. where to place the hardware in a chain).

On your outputs to an external mixdown is the easiest (or do a total loop back. outs back to the ins with your compressor between the output and the input feed, down mixing to a single stereo track) . Or, you could run the tracks you want to compress, out through the interface output, through the outboard and back in to another track for a more concise compression.

I will let some of the more seasoned guys say more about the advantages of doing all of this, but I don't see the upside in doing this verses using a good plugin.

I to am trying too connect the L & R outputs from behind my M - Audio preamp interface into the L & R inputs of my 1400 MDX Compressor so I can turn the gain up to my completed work. Record to tape and play it back and record it back on the computer so I have that full tape sound.

I personally wouldn't put signal through such a cheap compressor when I had access to much better processing in the computer. And Unless you have a pretty nice tape deck (which excludes anything cassette based) I wouldn't bother with that either. But that's just me.

What exactly is preventing you from doing what you describe?

Setting your levels correctly prevents clipping. Compression is for compressing.

However, it's how to use it during mixdown in my set-up which I'm still curious about (i.e. where to place the hardware in a chain.

First of all you need an interface with more than one stereo pair of outputs so you can use the hardware processing without and still have your monitors connected. And unless it's a pretty special compressor you can do it better with plugins.

Setting your levels correctly prevents clipping. Compression is for compressing.

First of all you need an interface with more than one stereo pair of outputs so you can use the hardware processing without and still have your monitors connected. And unless it's a pretty special compressor you can do it better with plugins.
Compressing before cassette four track is for getting above the noise floor without clipping the opamp stages on the input.

Run the outputs from your interface into the compresor, out to the mixer, out to the computer. Turn off record monitoring in the DAW (and interface, if it has direct monitoring) plug the headphones into the mixer.

I have a computer that has a usb connection to an M-audio mobile pre amp and the back has left and right out puts for pre amped speakers and a mine master out put that my computer speakers are connected to. I have a 1400 MDX compressor that I want to use buy hooking it up some how. could you give me some pointers images (1).jpgimages.jpg

Send your vocal track out to the interface output. Connect the output to your compressor input. Send the compressor output back to your interface input and record it on a track. Listen to the results of the newly created track and change the compressor settings until you are happy with them.

I have a computer that has a usb connection to an M-audio mobile pre amp and the back has left and right out puts for pre amped speakers and a mine master out put that my computer speakers are connected to. I have a 1400 MDX compressor that I want to use buy hooking it up some how. could you give me some pointers View attachment 84782View attachment 84783

Why do you want to use that thing? You've got much better compressors available as plugins, and you don't have to disconnect one of your monitors to use them.

right well I would just though i would give it a try to hype the gain up and add a little thump to the bass maybe add a little thicker sound to the mix but if you think vst's are better ill try that thanks for the help.

Back