Explorer

Supercreep

Lizard People
Okay, it's been a long time.

Here's the first one from our very latest. We want to run a few past y'all because we've heard it so many times now we just can't tell any more. I feel like we have a good faders-up mix here.

The songs on this record all go from one to the next, and so hearing them standing alone might make for some weird beginnings and endings. But since this is the first, it seems like a good place to start.

Explorer:

Attachments

• Explorer.mp3
    7.1 MB · Views: 70
Wow man, that sounds pretty fuckin' good....Kinda Styx meets Yes meets Rush....Vocals really sound like Styx to me...Great job on that, wish I could sing half as good as that...

Only nits I have is the vocals are a little low, & the low end needs a little more punch, but the low end thing I mention may just where I'm used to hearing my stuff with lots of lows....

I'm impressed dude....

The file downloaded but it did take 4-evah to do so.

Anyway, my sound card sucks, so I can't really offer much in the way critical mix cometary but the song it self sounds amazing! :)

Really nice composition and exceptional performance by everyone involved. So many classic rock acts come to mind when listening to this, from Alan Parsons, to Rush to name just a couple.

Who's the singer? He sounds British!

Cheers! :)

What a pleasant surprise. Usually going through MP3 forum I brace myself for goodness knows what's about to come out my speakers. And then this came on. Fantastic!

The intro, though long, was captivating. I had to keep listening. I would buy the album based on the first 2 minutes of this song alone.

I think the vocals could be pushed up 1db or so. I disagree with the previous commenter about the low end in the vocal track. You've cut out the lows the right amount to get them to cut through the mix, for my ear. Adding low end to the vox would risk losing them.

Starting at 4:00 mark there's some toms beating in the right speaker that have some boominess to them in a way that is unpleasant in headphones. Maybe look into that. It may not be boominess actually, but just the constant beating in only the right side that is distracting in headphones.

Guitar solo at 5:15 is killer. Great tone. Synth solo that follows is very Steve Vai from the Real Illusions: Reflections album. Awesomesauce.

Thanks for sharing!

What a fabbo way to start a new working week!
A Little Purple Circle always improves things for me.
Seductive wrong footing intro before the very aggressive bass once the thing gets rocking - love it.
The buried vocal section could do with a cm less grave soil - in h/phones I wasn't able to catch enough of it to even try to work it out.
Synth solo reminded me of Starcastle's 1st couple of albums mainly but the melody/note choice was pure LPC.
Ace voice Casey, there were harder essses in the last phrase.
Wow, enjoyed & will return for a play again.

Thanks guise. A couple of observations: The MP3 is just killing the cymbals. Also, I think the whole mix needs a gentle rolloff of LF to clean it up a little bit.

Anybody with subs care to listen and tell me if there are LF gremlins running around?

C

I think the vocals could be pushed up 1db or so. I disagree with the previous commenter about the low end in the vocal track.

Sorry I wasn't clear, I meant the low end on the whole mix....

Listening again through my monitors tonight....sounds awesome man....

I still stand by my little nit it needs a tad more bottom end for the overall mix & to raise the vocals just a little....

You're a great musician dude, seriously, you've got chops on all instruments...

Awesome man. Great playing, great parts to play. :)

Vocals sound great. Drums sound great but I think can sound even better. There's a slight low-mid blanket overall that makes some things, like the snare, border on sounding box-y. I think just a small overall cut somewhere around 400hz will take whatever shines now and make it sparkle. It might even take care of the perceived lack of low end that Minerman mentioned. This sounds great, really great. I think it could sound over the top really great, though.

The vocals in the first portion of the song is deliberately eq'd to sound like a telephone. The rest of them aren't, but still have some distortion and saturation.

The whole album is as far away tone-wise from our previous work as we could credibly make it. We left all the mistakes. We went for saturated and harmonically complex rather than clean. This record isn't very clean.

In any case, there is a vocal part in the middle of the song that is meant to be more of an effect than a lyric. I am singing "You must put first one foot before the other" over and over. I did it to add some tension and mystery to the part.

I think that adding more low end would exacerbate some balancing issues I'm already having. I think there are some LF clouding up the kick drum and bass guitar. Brian it as a tom at 4:00, but it's the kick. Shelving LF at 30 hz seems to disambiguate the bass and the kick without making the mix sound thin from here, but I think I need more ears on it. Taking the reverb off also seems to help, but with the LF cut the reverb sounds okay.

I fucking hate reverb.

Cheers

Last edited:
Awesome man. Great playing, great parts to play. :)

Vocals sound great. Drums sound great but I think can sound even better. There's a slight low-mid blanket overall that makes some things, like the snare, border on sounding box-y. I think just a small overall cut somewhere around 400hz will take whatever shines now and make it sparkle. It might even take care of the perceived lack of low end that Minerman mentioned. This sounds great, really great. I think it could sound over the top really great, though.

Thanks, RAMI. I've got some other ones I'll post up that I think have the same problem. I moved the drums away from the corners and miked them very carefully this time, and got more LF than I bargained for, I think. Should I be looking at a LF cut to the whole mix, or should I be looking at the drumset as a whole? Or the maybe only the kick in particular?

Edit: Yeah, you said overall. Got it. :)

C

This is annoyingly good.
I don't know classic rock, but a lot of the ambience (and bits of vocal) reminded me of Eno/bowie. Second half of heroes - that kind of thing.
Thanks for sharing man. Where/when can we hear the rest?

Thanks, RAMI. I've got some other ones I'll post up that I think have the same problem. I moved the drums away from the corners and miked them very carefully this time, and got more LF than I bargained for, I think. Should I be looking at a LF cut to the whole mix, or should I be looking at the drumset as a whole? Or the maybe only the kick in particular?

Edit: Yeah, you said overall. Got it. :)

C
To be clear, I meant overall on the whole mix. Just a little overall cut around 400-500hz.

This is annoyingly good.
I don't know classic rock, but a lot of the ambience (and bits of vocal) reminded me of Eno/bowie. Second half of heroes - that kind of thing.
Thanks for sharing man. Where/when can we hear the rest?

At about 2:08. :)

JK. We need to identify and work out a few mixing issues, but then it will go pretty quick. All our stuff is available at our website or the links in my sig.

Yeah, this is a far departure from Lady Policeman. :) I like where you took this song.

I hear what minerman is referring to. Just a small bump down around 50hz is needed. I think it comes down to individual listening environments and what we're accustomed to hearing. I know it's a balancing act with the low end and then throw in Rami's cut at 400hz, you can go back and forth a gazillion times... But I'd like to hear a little more thump on the kick.

When the solo synth came in (or is the first solo a guitar? @5:09) it scared the heck out of me. I feel it sits above the rest of the mix and not at the same level as the lead vocal. For me, the solos should be at the same level as the lead vocal.

Great job. Looks like another LPC CD is in my future.

Cheers,

Yeah, this is a far departure from Lady Policeman. :) I like where you took this song.

I hear what minerman is referring to. Just a small bump down around 50hz is needed. I think it comes down to individual listening environments and what we're accustomed to hearing. I know it's a balancing act with the low end and then throw in Rami's cut at 400hz, you can go back and forth a gazillion times... But I'd like to hear a little more thump on the kick.

When the solo synth came in (or is the first solo a guitar? @5:09) it scared the heck out of me. I feel it sits above the rest of the mix and not at the same level as the lead vocal. For me, the solos should be at the same level as the lead vocal.

Great job. Looks like another LPC CD is in my future.

Cheers,

Thanks - it's more of a balancing act than ever before, because we are mastering this album as a single song, and dividing it into 23 tracks. It's around 1:18:00.

Oh, and it's a guitar. :)

I think the bass could be a little louder overall, maybe working on the whole mixes low end would do it.

Last edited:
Back