experiment

rightbrainnow

Im at work for the next 6 hours, and well i have an idea that i want to try when i get home. Just wondering if anyone has tried this, and what kind of results you may have gotten. After recording some of my vocals, ive concluded that i sound too mid-rangy...and i dont like it all that much. Heres my idea. Im going to put my AKGD112 about one foot away from my chest..pointing above my sternum...then take a large diaphram condenser and mic it about 2-4 feet away. I have no idea if this will work or sound good. Im thinking that some of the bass frequencies may be picked up better, and maybe with a little reverb added to the condenser track...the vocal could sit a little better in the mix. Has anyone else tried anything like this?

That sounds like a setup for phase problems. If you're going to experiment try the D-112 and a condensor right next to each other and about 6"-8" away from your mouth. If you want more bass, take advantage of the proximity effect of the mics.

I tried to take advantage of proximity effects on the bluebird, but it was kinda out of control...when i would listen to it afterwards..there was an awful bassy hum. I think im starting to hate the bluebird...looking into R0DE's K2 or Shures KSM44.

Track Rat said:
That sounds like a setup for phase problems. If you're going to experiment try the D-112 and a condensor right next to each other and about 6"-8" away from your mouth. If you want more bass, take advantage of the proximity effect of the mics.

ive never been able to pick out phasing on a vocal track, but ive never used more than one mic for vocals.

ok, so i tried some things out. The d112 did thicken things up in a nice way, however..i actually found that i liked the vocals more with the d112 by myself. The bluebird is just kinda thin...either that or im trying to hide behind a dynamic mic to kinda dullen my voice down. I actually really like the sound with the d112 by itself. I can turn the tube all the way up on my sebatron without clipping it too...this makes me want to research shures sm7b.

rightbrainnow said:
ok, so i tried some things out. The d112 did thicken things up in a nice way, however..i actually found that i liked the vocals more with the d112 by myself. The bluebird is just kinda thin...either that or im trying to hide behind a dynamic mic to kinda dullen my voice down. I actually really like the sound with the d112 by itself. I can turn the tube all the way up on my sebatron without clipping it too...this makes me want to research shures sm7b.
If that's the case, also look at the EV RE20.

Back