Equipment Help

mapexdrums

My dad and I are building a home studio in our basement we have finished the cieling and thats about it. Right now we are buying used and new equipment off of ebay. So I have some questions:

1)We bought many things to go in our rack but we don't have one yet. Do you know were I can get quality studio racks for good prices?

2)Right now we only have one Samson Dynamic Mic. We want to buy several more mics (Condenser or Dynamic). Do you have any suggestions for all-around mics between $50 - $150?

3)I have a program called Audicity(freeware) for mainly editing. Will this do a good enough job or should I invest in some software that you can buy like cool edit or something like that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try a Google search. There's a lot of stuff out there, from molded plasic to melamine, and a few guys out there doing custom or solid wood stuff.

You can also buy rack rail that's predrilled and make your own. FullCompass sells Mid-Atlantic rail, but there are other suppliers that are cheaper.

Check out this guy. His rail is cheaper than most of the online retailers too.

http://www.nice-racks.com/about.shtml

ok, ya get some sm-57s for the distorted guitar tones, a b1 for vocals, and mabye a pair of mxl 603's for some drum overheads. that should be good.

and mabye a kick drum mic.

I can build you a rack. I built a 14-space slant-face over a 12-inch deep drawer that's handy as hell for storing mics, manuals, cables. Ball-bearing slides, all 3/4-inch Grade-A oak veneer plywood and solid wood trim construction. It's on 3" castors. Stands 48" tall, 24" deep x 20-5/8" wide at the base. Slant is 10-degrees.

$500 plus shipping, hand-rubbed finish using Watco stain and Watco wax.

Gear NOT included.:D

Or I can build anything you want.

I do traps and slot resonators as well. The background of the pic is a pair of my gobo panels. They're big enough to use as a vocal booth.

Attachments

• rack2.JPG
    rack2.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Here's a pic of the slot resonator I built for my room.

It's tuned to 250-500Hz, filled with 5-inches Knauf Rigid Fiberglass Soundboard.

Attachments

• slot res2.JPG
    slot res2.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 197
I agonized over racks for a while but everything I found on the net was way too expensive, $300 and up.

I wanted something which would look nice in my studio, not like it should be on the side of a stage.

Well, I was happy to find,

Nice Racks

Here's an example:

18 space for $149

While not made out of exotic wood, they are solid wood (pine), not particle board. And you have a choice of about 25 different stains.

This fellow is very easy to deal with for custom needs.

My 2¢...

pdlstl said:
Nice Racks

Here's an example:

18 space for $149

While not made out of exotic wood, they are solid wood (pine), not particle board. And you have a choice of about 25 different stains....

Thats pretty nice. You'll probably want caster for the bottom. No big deal but they are kinda expensive- nice ons for $5 - $10 EACH.

Man this hobby wont nickle / dime ya.... It'll $20 / $!00 ya. ;)

Homemade racks, producer's desk.

Attachments

• studio-0120.jpg
    studio-0120.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 58
  • studio-0124.jpg
    studio-0124.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 41
  • studio-0127.jpg
    studio-0127.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 50
A little detail in the design/assembly of the footers and verticals...

Attachments

• studio-0116.jpg
    studio-0116.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 41
  • studio-0117.jpg
    studio-0117.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 31
  • studio-0118.jpg
    studio-0118.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 27
  • studio-0119.jpg
    studio-0119.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 35
If you still need racks, I have two of these 20 space slants still available at $60 each plus shipping :-)

Attachments

• assembled34.jpg
    assembled34.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 124
Back