Engl reverb

LeadPaint

Recently I've bought an Engl Gigmaster 30 head (Engl site). It was a showroom model and I've bought it online, without testing it. The reverb seems to be faulty. Please listen to the attached mp3; first reverb is switched off, than it's switched on and turned all the way up. You barely hear it.

Does anyone have a clue what it wrong? Because there is a very faint reverb it seems like the spring reverb unit is still functioning.

Attachments

• reverb.mp3
    81.8 KB · Views: 5
A spring reverb should probably be boinging your head off when cranked. I've heard some Marshall DSLs that have had wongo connections at the reverb tank. Maybe start jiggling shit around.

It can't be tube driven, it only has one 12ax7 and four EL84's in it. No extra tube to drive it.

I didn't listen, but it could be a faulty connection or, and this is unlikely, I had an amp one time that had a damper for the spring reverb. You had to flip a little lever to unlock the springs. You would think if that were the case, it would be mentioned in the manual.

It still could be something damping the springs that accidentally got left in there when it was built. If it's new, have it repaired under warranted.

I don't think it's a damper ...... my Ampegs have that and you can still clearly hear the reverb when it's damped ..... it just dies away quickly and sounds like a tin can .... but it's still loud.

I'm thinking bad connection or even the two cables to the reverb tanked are reversed.
It's not uncommon for reverb tanks to have a bad connection or a cable that came unplugged.

It must have been my V4 that had that. I got rid of that amp 30 years ago, so I was alittle fuzzy on what it souded like with the damper on.

It must have been my V4 that had that. I got rid of that amp 30 years ago, so I was alittle fuzzy on what it souded like with the damper on.
yeah, the V4 would have had that.
I have it on my V2 and VT22 and VT40.

There is apparently a very common fault now with Accutronics reverb tanks.
The super fine wires to the input transducer fail O/C.

A very few time the wires can be re soldered but not often. The drive amp is generally a TL072 or similar and is invariably DC Coupled to the tank!

Pop over to View Discussions and Categories on The Fretboard and seek out a tech called ICBM (no, not me!) for the full SP.

Dave. ("we" have never used a tank, got a super sounding DIGITAL verb!)

Carey or Accutronics?

Both actually. It was a crappy little town and a dirty factory. I didn't work in the reverb department. They also made printed circuit boards which I was either soldering, gold plating or drilling, depending on exactly when we are talking about. As far as i can recall, there weren't more than 10 people over in reverbs and they only worked one shift. They used to make the leslie cabinets there as well, but they had stopped that by the time I got there (1984)

Back