Emulating tape delay - early Pink Floyd

I'm trying to replicate the swirling treble tape delay used on the Farfisa on top of the Hammond at the end of Pink Floyd's "Cirrus Minor". I know they would have used a Binson but I've tried a few VST's and I feel like I haven't come close. The song sounds like it's 100% wet, effect only but most of the VST's I have tried still have some of the original signal and fiddling with the controls usually gets me a tsunami of echo. I'm feeling a little lost, does anyone have suggestions regarding settings I could try out? Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHGLY5uOxu0 (starts around 3:30)

Which VST's have you tried?

I find that a send with either TAL-Dub or NastyDLA (both free) on it does the trick for most old fashioned delay sounds - a bit of EQ on the FX channel works wonders sometimes.

I don't know about an echo effect, but what I heard sounds a lot like a crystal style pad with about a 1.5-2k hi pass and you could just play the part (unless I'm listening to the wrong thing). :)

The song sounds like it's 100% wet, effect only but most of the VST's I have tried still have some of the original signal and fiddling with the controls usually gets me a tsunami of echo.

Hey man.
100% wet means delays only so you wouldn't hear the original part at all unless its parallel. I don't think I've ever used a delay 100% wet (without dry signal in parallel), but I guess it'll have its place.

If you're getting a tsunami of echo you probably have the feedback or number of delays set too high.
The video above as a pretty long feedback for the first few minutes.

I mean, delays are pretty simple when you break them down.
The basics are how many repeats, how long between repeats, HPF/LPF on the wet sound and a master wet/dry control.
Some will give you panning options, ping pong, polarity selection etc but you should be able to get close with the basics above.

I'm trying to replicate the swirling treble tape delay used on the Farfisa on top of the Hammond at the end of Pink Floyd's "Cirrus Minor". I know they would have used a Binson but I've tried a few VST's and I feel like I haven't come close. The song sounds like it's 100% wet, effect only but most of the VST's I have tried still have some of the original signal and fiddling with the controls usually gets me a tsunami of echo. I'm feeling a little lost, does anyone have suggestions regarding settings I could try out? Thanks.

Alot of his sound from that whole egyptiany farfisa era was in his touch and how he played against the delay.
Check at about 5:20 here.. it's definitely not 100% wet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76kOATeFgAA

Back