ELEMENTARY - Balanced? unblalnced? What goes where?

craigwojo

Just getting into the recording at home. Guitarist for over 30 years and just hooked up my peddle board and played.
Anyways - I picked up a Tascam FW-1884 to work with my (being delivered) new Sonar X1 software, have a Roland SoundCanvas SC-88 and a Line6 XT Live.
What goes where so I can play the guitar with using my XT Live and SC-88 (to play my MIDI files?)
Do I need one channel for each left and another for the right channels? Or Plug in a balanced cable to the FW-1884 input from a split (left-right) connector coming from either the XT-Live and/or SC-88?

Confused on what is the purpose of unbalanced and balanced cables going into the Tascam FW-1884.

Thank you,
Craig

You'll need a dedicated channel of the 1884 for every outboard output you want to record.

Balanced audio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can use a balanced (TRS) or unbalanced (TS) as an input into the line channels. Balanced cables offer noise cancellation over longer runs.

The outputs of the Pod are unbalanced. So a regular guitar cable will work fine. Set the Pod output to "line".

An insert cable has a TRS plug on one end connected to two TS plugs on the other. The insert is for use with outboard compressors or eq or other FX you might want to apply in series with your signal.

For MIDI, plug an output from the 1884 into the input of the Sound Canvas, select your MIDI channel on the SC and in the DAW (Sonar) and you should be good to play back MIDI files.

Pick another pair of ports for the Pod and it should be sending and receiving MIDI from your DAW through the 1884 once you properly configure Sonar and set the MIDI send/rcv on the Pod.

What goes where? ..... You know I had this father/son talk with my boys. I think I can help you out on this one Craig. :D

I see c7sus has got you covered though. ;)

Back