Electro-Voice EV PL95

mrmoe

I just bought an Electro-Voice EV PL95 on ebay, but I know little about it....from what I've read, it seems like it should be a pretty good vocal mic for p.a....I currently use sm-58's with tab funkenwerks transformers....might even be a decent mic for vocal recording...any information or opinions here?

That was my favorite live vocal mic back in the 80s. I still have one but unfortunately it is non functional.

That was my favorite live vocal mic back in the 80s. I still have one but unfortunately it is non functional.

Mine still works but I have retired it.
You might find it as a good recording vocal microphone ...I've never tried it, But as ocnor stated it's a great live vocal mic.

:cool:

I seem to be stuck in the past; adding microphones that I used in the 70's to the collection....this EV PL95, an akg d-1000, an EV re50, a sony ecm-22p, and a Beyer m-500.....now, if only I could find an "inexpensive" EV re15

I seem to be stuck in the past; adding microphones that I used in the 70's to the collection....this EV PL95, an akg d-1000, an EV re50, a sony ecm-22p, and a Beyer m-500.....now, if only I could find an "inexpensive" EV re15

mrmoe.....does it need to be working?

:cool:

old ev dynamics are great!

i bought a few 635as on advice from this forum, and love them on snare or electric guitars (combined with something ballsier sometimes)

saw a great deal on 4 d054s which i'd never heard of, but it turns out they're basically pl9s..

to me, they're 635as with more bass..and again i love em.

even used them as room mics during a live recording and the added so much to the mix..

also own an re11 which i have yet to use properly, but a few tests on electric guitar were pleasant!

the d054s worked out pretty well on acoustic guitar in my opinion too, but only in a kinda live roomy sound setup. i wouldn't close mic with them for acoustic guitar that's going in a mix..

bottom line, if it's cheap, gray and says EV on it,,,,i'll be looking to buy it :)

last week i used a d054 on top snare and a 635a on bottom snare.
the drummer was like,,,wtf are those??

then after wards he like,,,,mate! that's just sweeet,lol..

luckily, i stumbled across all these mics early on, and for that reason, i've never had cause or desire to own an sm57.

yeh, i think so.

it's an omni dynamic. originally made as a reporters mic..really low handling noise and what not...

i find that if you could use a 57, you can use one of these...

different sound tho,,,,more midrange to my ears but the ones i have are shy on the bass.

dunno if that's the way they were made or cos mine are a bit beat up.

i have four, each of which sounds different,lol.

The specs chart on that second link shows a real drop in the highs and lows.
The sound sample is extremely high in the mid range but very, very clean.

The specs chart on that second link shows a real drop in the highs and lows.
The sound sample is extremely high in the mid range but very, very clean.

i guess that reflects it's intended use....spoken word.

i posted an unmixed clip of the drums i talked about earlier, in a thread a few days ago.

i could send you the separate tracks if you wana hear how the 635a handled the snare?

Back