electro-acoustic guitar

I respect your opinion, mjbphotos, and I would agree that an a/e guitar is nice to have in some live settings- you can dance around the stage all you want (no matter how absurd it makes you look) and your guitar signal still gets through. I just have SOOO disappointed with the sound I get and the money I would have to spend to HOPEFULLY get a better sound, that it no longer has much appeal. And really, after all that processing, what everyone actually hears from the speakers is not much like what your guitar REALLY sounds like. I have a thin-body acoustic (china-made, Gitano branded) that I thought I'd install a pup in, figuring it would 1) sound as good as my Martin, thru the system, 2) be easier to carry and hold, and 3) wouldn't break my heart if it got smashed or boosted, but I lost interest in THAT project quickly, too. (sigh.) I guess I am just not the a/e type. :yawn:

My Seagull was much loved- I found it to be a great guitar and an even better value- but it languished unplayed after I got the Martin. With a heavy heart, I sold it last month.

As for the Tanglewood on fleabay, OP, I dunno. Could be just another china guitar, could be a real sleeper. I have never played a Tanglewood, but my general opinion is, within a certain price range, everything from China is about the same. I took a chance on a made-in-China Epi Les Paul Standard, but after selling the coffin-case (uck) and little amp that came with I was only out about $150- at that cost, you almost can't lose- and it paid off, but I would be very wary of buying an acoustic guitar from china, over the internet. Again, I'd buy a Seagull (or Simon & Patrick, or Art & Lutherie, less-expensive brands from the same maker, La-si-do,) even over the internet if it looked like it was in good shape. As I said, you CAN win the internet guitar sweepstakes, but you might lose, too.

I second Grimm's opinion as well. Using the pickup (usually a piezo-electric) on an acoustic guitar for recording results in a strident tone that gets old very quickly.

Back