EH 12AY7 Mic Pre question

LDT2

LDT2
I just bought 2 of these pre's, after reading the recommendations from the people who have them, and had a couple questions.

1st) Seeing that you can't turn the power ON or OFF other than plugging or unplugging it,
how are you working around this?

I figured on running a channel strip to turn on and off, 'cus the power supply gets pretty hot so just unplugging the wire from the side of the unit would still allow the power supply to cook.

2nd) Do you think there would be a problem if I stood them up during use?

They would take up less room and it'd be easy to access the tops, but I'm not sure if this would cause a problem with the tubes being horizontal.

Thanks for the recommendations on this pre, it sounds great!!

LDT2

i've just been unplugging mine to save some wear on the tubes. a cheap power strip should do the trick, though i'm looking for other options as i've already got enough of those on the floor. mounting them horizontally shouldn't hurt anything, i've considered just buying a cheap rack stand and a panel or two to do something along those lines.

Geta rack mount power conditioner (unless you spend the $350 it doesn't condition anything) gives you fingertip control

I figured that it would probably work, but thought I would see how everyone here handled it.

I appreciate the advice.

Thanks,

LDT2

Big Kenny said:
Geta rack mount power conditioner (unless you spend the $350 it doesn't condition anything) gives you fingertip control

Perhaps I misunderstood. Are you saying you have to spend $350 to get safe power conditioning? Just curious.

I think what he meant was that you have to spend at least $350 to get a unit that actually does true power conditioning. There's a lot of confusion about this, partly due to manufacturer advertising, and partly due to message board mis-information.

What a power conditioner does is take the incoming power and recondition the signal so that it outputs clean power. This takes a transformer, hence the much greater expense. Anything else is basically a glorified power strip. For example, the units that have surge protection and EMI protection are really not power conditioners.

LDT2 said:
I figured on running a channel strip to turn on and off... Do you think there would be a problem if I stood them up during use?
I use power strips for several pieces of gear I use, including my RNC's, that have no on/off switch... not practical for me to plug/unplug them all the time. With my two EH 12AY7 pre's I was surprised how cool the tubes run... had kind of expected them to get super hot. That perforated guard above them looks like a muffler heat shield but it never even gets hot on mine. I wouldn't hesitate to stand mine up as long as they were being held in place or racked with top access.

Tim

Tim,

That's actually what I'm considering, to build a rack with top access and put them side by side. I was worried about the heat from the tubes rising into the unit, but it sounds like it should work fine.

Thanks,

LDT2

karl_danger said:
the Furman power conditioners work great and you can get them for $80.....

Again, those are not really power conditioners. They are surge protectors with RFI filtering, basically a power strip in a rack.

karl_danger said:
the Furman power conditioners work great and you can get them for $80.....

If you've ever seen the inside of a Furman, you'd be really dissapointed. They are just 4 dual AC plugs with ceramic capacitors across the hot and neutral lugs. No conditioning happening here. They may remove a little high frequency noise from the power line, but that's it.

Cheers,
Zach

I have to agree with Sonic Albert...........

SonicAlbert said:
Again, those are not really power conditioners. They are surge protectors with RFI filtering, basically a power strip in a rack.

well, I don't have to, but he is correct.

think of it this way, the conditioner puts out pure sinewave 60hz ac power. this is not always what you get from the power company. if your 60hz sinewave is off, the surge protectors with the MOV's (metal oxide varistors) and chokes can't make it up, the power conditioner uses energy to see to it the the ac it puts out is correct. I may use 110 ac at 10 amps to put out 110 ac at 8 amps.

sola used to make good ones, but big bucks. you should not need anything other than just a switch, unless you live in bumfuckistan.

I'm new to this forum and didn't really understand how this "rep" thing works or why people were so concerned about it at times, but I just discovered the USER CP thing at the top of the page and was greeted by some pretty hostile and profane response from someone who thinks that I'm someone called "shill", who evidently is a salesperson of somesort?

This was the 1st time that I asked a question on this forum and previously only replied to one other thread in which I made an honest mistake in regards to the product version number.

I don't understand how someone can judge who I am and what my intentions are by 2 unrelated posts. I happen to be a musician here in Nashville, TN who has a studio in his basement and wants to learn more about equiptment.

Where in this thread did I even imply that anyone should buy a EH 12AY7 preamp, that someone would conclude that I'm a salesperson and feel the need to reply in such a hostile way?

The main reason that I bought 2 of these preamps was because of recommendations from people on this forum that have used it, along with some others on other forums.

I can appreciate the rep system to help people "weigh" the value of advice on this forum, but give me a break, this is pretty extreme and there are some people on here that have low rep numbers that I know are very reputable from other forums.

I enjoy this forum, and the information and expertice is very helpful, but this unwarranted hostility is uncalled for.

I want to thank those of you that, evidently, knew that this was coming and gave me some positive reps to try to balance things out. It's greatly appreciated.

If I've done something wrong here I apologise, but please clarify to me what that is because I'm at a loss right now.

Thank you for your time.

Lucio DiToro II (LDT2)

The rep point system is inconsistent. Some give rep points seriously, others jokingly, others give neg rep as graffiti. Because of that, to me total rep numbers don’t mean anything. But I think rep is good as a quick easy private communication to give a pat on the back for a good post. Only advantage really over a PM is that rep clicks don't fill up your PM mailbox. :D

Tim

Tim,

Thanks for explaining. I was gonna just ignore it all, but it bothered me that someone thought that I was someone else and was so hostile about it. Forums are still pretty new to me.

I appreciate everyone here and there support.

Thanks.

Back